AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread

« on: February 07, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
  • https://i.imgur.com/Tlh1zc7.jpg

JVC's new DLA-RS2000 is a high quality native 4K home theater projector that features new, 0.69 inch D-ILA devices coupled with a 17-element, 15-group all glass 65mm lens. It offers high contrast, high brightness, and a host of color reproduction features that ensure dynamic and realistic images. Even those demanding movie theater quality reproduction will be impressed with the images produced by the DLA-RS2000.1,900 Lumens with High Power Lamp (PK-L2618U)
  • 80,000:1 Native (800,000:1 Dynamic) Contrast Ratio for deep blacks
  • New 0.69 inch native 4K D-ILA Devices (x3)
  • 17-element, 15-group all-glass 65mm diameter high quality lens
  • Two 18Gbps HDMI/HDCP 2.2 Compatible Inputs
  • ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Licensed
  • HDR10 Compatibility with Auto Tone Mapping
  • Wide Color Gamut (Over 100% DCI P3)
  • Improved Clear Motion Drive with Motion Enhance
  • Improved Multiple Pixel Control (MPC) — MPC works with 4K60P (4:4:4) signals
  • Low Latency Mode improves picture, speeds operation, and reduces gaming/PC frame delays
  • New Installation Mode simplies setup and memorizes up to 10 customizable picture preferences
  • Control: Control4 SDDP / LAN / RS-232C / IR / 12V Screen Trigger Output / 3D Sync Output
  • 3 Year Advanced Replacement Warranty
  • Stunning Native 4K Resolution
  • The JVC DLA-RS2000 home theater projector features native 4K resolution that delivers images that truly rival reality. Images are so detailed, and so smooth you won't believe your eyes.
  • https://i.imgur.com/4xly2rz.png

• HDR compatibility w/Auto Tone Mapping
  • The DLA-RS2000 is compatible with HDR 10 for content such as UHD Blu-ray and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) adopted in broadcasting. It is also equipped with a new feature, "Auto Tone Mapping" that automatically adjusts settings based on the mastering information included in HDR content. This feature enables different HDR images to be viewed optimally for specific content.https://i.imgur.com/5U5pi34.png

New 0.69 Native 4K D-ILA Devices (x3)
    JVC's new 0.69 inch native 4K D-ILA device delivers the sharpest home theater image available. The 4096 x 2160 device with 3.8µm pixel pitch exceeds 4 times HD resolution— 8.8 million pixels. With original vertical orientation technology and a planarization technique that reduces light scattering and diffraction, the device achieves a very high native contrast ratio resulting in smooth, detailed images without visible pixels even on very large screens.
    An Incredible Lens Delivers 4K
  • The DLA-RS2000 is equipped with a 65 mm diameter lens which adopts the all-glass lens of 15 groups of 17 glasses, realizing a high-resolution image with focus up to the periphery of the screen.
  • A Perfect Combination for Spectacular ContrastThe new native 4K D-ILA device and optical engine with wire grid polarizers achieve a native contrast ratio greater than 80,000:1. In combination with JVC's "Intelligent Lens Aperture" which analyzes the input image and automatically controls the black level, the DLA-RS2000 is able to deliver a spectacular dynamic contrast of 800,000:1 for an immersive viewing experience.
    Superior Color Performance and ContrastThe DLA-RS2000 incorporates many functions that enhance the color, brightness and contrast performance.https://i.imgur.com/G5QLwBB.png

4K Anamorphic ScalingThis projector is compatible with commercially available anamorphic lenses and ultra-wide format screens for an immersive movie theater experience. It also features a new scaling mode that is optimized for the full native 4096 x 2160 (17 x 9) resolution of the D-ILA device.
    Installation ModeThe DLA-RS2000 is equipped with new "Installation Mode" that saves and recalls up to 10 different installation modes for different aspect ratios, lens presets, convergence and screen masking positions.

https://i.imgur.com/RgugZzB.jpg

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:16:45 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Re: JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
A companion thread designed to discuss calibration and some of the more technical aspects of these projectors can be found here:

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.0

Manni is very knowledgeable in these matters and I highly suggest checking his thread out for tips and tricks to get the most from your new native 4K JVC projector.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 03:17:00 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 06:46:50 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:15:04 AM »
Just as few further thoughts before bed. I got the chance to play with my RS2000 in my dedicated theater when I got home from work. My suspicions turned out to be true. There is next to no blooming or streaking on my particular unit. This seems to be at odds with other reports from other N7s and RS3000's that I've seen photographed. This is something I wasn't expecting to see. My unit has a January 2019 manufacture date so it might be possible that some type of product line change occurred to help fix this particular issue. As far as I'm concerned, with my unit at least, JVC is now on par or possibly a bit better than Sony with lens streaking and internal reflections. Whatever JVC did, it seems to help tremendously.

With all of this said, no, the RS2000 does not have the same black level as the previous 5xx mid-tier units that the RS2000 replaces. I didn't get the chance to measure contrast but I'd have to say, iris wide open, it's probably only around 18000-20000:1. That's just my guess. I will measure tomorrow to get an exact number. I'm even going to attempt an ANSI contrast measurement. I'm still disappointed with the dynamic iris software. It's too aggressive with too many gamma shift and clipped white artifacts. I really, really hope JVC can give us back the software implementation that they used with the eshift models. It is clearly better than this implementation. It doesn't pump, which is good, but there are other distracting artifacts unfortunately. If they can fix this, I will be extremely happy with my purchase. The image quality is easily better than the eshift models. It's plain as day. Especially when I clamp down the iris a bit to get more native contrast.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

bobof

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:02:58 AM »
It is interesting how distinct opinions on the DI range from on this new family; there are opinions that are wide and varied and at pretty much 180 degrees to each other..  From works brilliantly, not seeing any pumping at all, much better than previous gen, to posts like yours where the behaviour is observed as being much worse and more aggressive.

I need to go through the posts again here and at the other place, but I wonder if there is any correlation that can be observed either with respect to firmware or build dates or RS3000 vs RS2000 (new lens, maybe new iris mech).  Also I note there are a few folk questioning the behaviour of the DI in last year's X7900; perhaps those who are rating the new series as better have as their frame of reference what are actually mis-behaving units from last year?

I'm particularly interested in this aspect as I find the current DI unacceptable though not obviously defective in my X7900.

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Everyone seems to see how a dynamic iris works differently. I'm usually pretty sensitive to them when they're working. I hope others complain and JVC releases a further firmware to address some of the more glaring aspects of this particular implementation. I never had the chance to see an eshift 5 JVC so I can't comment on how that performed. But I do know the eshift 3 and 4 models had a much better implementation. I saw no large gamma shifts and essentially no clipped whites.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
Everyone seems to see how a dynamic iris works differently. I'm usually pretty sensitive to them when they're working. I hope others complain and JVC releases a further firmware to address some of the more glaring aspects of this particular implementation. I never had the chance to see an eshift 5 JVC so I can't comment on how that performed. But I do know the eshift 3 and 4 models had a much better implementation. I saw no large gamma shifts and essentially no clipped whites.

Were you watching SDR or HDR? I've been using the DI in SDR with the iris closed to -10 or less for years, lastly on my rs500, but in HDR, with the manual iris above -6, there are *lots* of gamma artifacts, up to the point that I've stopped using it in HDR most of the time.

I'm not talking about pumping but about awful gamma artifacts, at least on the rs500.

I'll look at this closely and I'll report, I got a call from UPS today, my rs2000 is in the UK, delivery expected Monday or Tuesday.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:15:41 PM by Manni »

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
I just want to Thank you guys so much for doing this and the calibration thread and the effort you put in! I am hopeful that we can get some sanity here verses that other place that has so many non-owners going off on crap they don't even know. I am hopeful this will be a true owners thread with tips, tricks and issues resolved.

My RS2000 is delivered Tuesday and I have 8-10 people from the other forum coming over on the 24th for testing and viewing.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
Were you watching SDR or HDR? I've been using the DI in SDR with the iris closed to -10 or less for years, lastly on my rs500, but in HDR, with the manual iris above -6, there are *lots* of gamma artifacts, up to the point that I've stopped using it in HDR most of the time.

I'm not talking about pumping but about awful gamma artifacts, at least on the rs500.

I'll look at this closely and I'll report, I got a call from UPS today, my rs2000 is in the UK, delivery expected Monday or Tuesday.

I haven't even bothered using the HDR modes on the eshifters. Without a ton of help it never looked that great. So I've been converting to SDR with madVR. No obvious issues with the DI.

Quick and dirty native contrast measurement. I was off by a bit eyeballing it. In high lamp, iris wide open but closer to the telephoto end of the zoom range (where I normally place my projector) I measured 26,200:1 native contrast. When I get time later tonight I will do max/minimum zoom contrast and dynamic contrast.

Edit: Note that this is out of the box contrast performance.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:19:15 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »

Are you using auto 1 or auto 2 ?
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »

Are you using auto 1 or auto 2 ?

I tried both modes. Both of them exhibited similar issues.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »
I haven't even bothered using the HDR modes on the eshifters. Without a ton of help it never looked that great. So I've been converting to SDR with madVR. No obvious issues with the DI.

I only mentioned SDR or HDR because of the iris setting that is likely to be different. The way you tonemap doesn't really matter.

Whether you tonemap with custom curves or using MadVR pixel shader, it's the iris setting that causes the gamma artifacts, at least on the rs500.

Iris = 0 worst
Iris = -6 worse
Iris = -10 decent
Iris = -15 no issue

So you're more likely to see issues in HDR (tonemapped by MadVR or custom curves) with the iris at 0 than in SDR with the iris at -10 or less, at least on the older models. and I mean HDR or SDR content, not the way you tonemap.

Of course auto1 is more agressive than auto2, so I'm assuming auto 2 (the above is using auto 2).

Hence my question again: what is you manual iris setting during these DI evaluations?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 03:24:21 PM by Manni »

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
I only mentioned SDR or HDR because of the iris setting that is likely to be different. The way you tonemap doesn't really matter.

Whether you tonemap with custom curves or using MadVR pixel shader, it's the iris setting that causes the gamma artifacts, at least on the rs500.

Iris = 0 worst
Iris = -6 worse
Iris = -10 decent
Iris = -15 no issue

So you're more likely to see issues in HDR (tonemapped by MadVR or custom curves) with the iris at 0 than in SDR with the iris at -10 or less, at least on the older models. and I mean HDR or SDR content, not the way you tonemap.

Of course auto1 is more agressive than auto2, so I'm assuming auto 2 (the above is using auto 2).

Hence my question again: what is you manual iris setting during these DI evaluations?

Sorry, I thought you were implying that enabling HDR mode altered the amount of DI artifacts you were seeing. This makes sense to me due to the difference between EOTF, gamma and bit depth of the content. The image characteristics between SDR and HDR content are different therefore the DI is going to react differently to it.

To answer your question,  I normally watch with the iris roughly half closed. On my RS2000, its currently at -7.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
Thanks and no problem. :)

So when you have a chance please could you try to close the iris further, and let us know if the gamma artifacts get better? And if they get worse if you open the iris fully?

Because this is how it works on the older models, and you need close to -10 to make the DI mostly invisible (gamma artifacts-wise), at least with my rs500.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:51:10 PM by Manni »

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
I spent the last two hours watching content with the DI off and contrast performance is still very impressive. I was having too much fun just watching the image this projector produces that I forgot to take more measurements haha. I will do my best to take more measurements later. I'm hoping we see some more pre-orders delivered today so others can corroborate my findings. Those who bought one are in for a treat. I know the term "looking through a window" gets thrown around a lot, but my RS2000 takes things one step closer. The ever-so-slightly more digital look that I used to see on the eshifters vs Sony SXRD is now gone. It really reminds me a lot of what I'm used to seeing from Sony 4K SXRD in this regard. Native motion (no CMD) looks a bit better to my eyes as well.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal