AVS Discussions
  Go Down

madVR Envy Anticipation Thread

Manni

madVR Envy Anticipation Thread
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:12:53 PM »
It looks like a HTPC won't be needed for very long to make the most of madVR, according to madshi's announcement on Doom9...

There's a link to register to get some info.

Can't wait to find out more!

I created this thread to gather all information on this as it becomes available.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:21:36 PM by Manni »

AVSMike

Re: madVR Envy Anticipation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
Definitely interested in this. One as an owner and two as a distributor or dealer.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
I saw the same thing posted on another site. I'm excited for madshi. He's put so much work into this that he deserves to make some money from his fruits of labor. I'm most excited to see if this new supposed standalone device is as powerful as a dedicated GPU or at least offer similar performance.

I'm also wondering if this will have a media player built in as well or is it just a dedicated video processor ala Lumagen? I'd love to beta test. 
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:37:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your interest and comments!  :)

@AVSMike. I'll get back to you when I can talk more about it.

AVSMike

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your interest and comments!  :)

@AVSMike. I'll get back to you when I can talk more about it.
Looking forward to then. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »
Ca. Someone elaborate in what it is?
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Manni

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
I'll post more as soon as we have more info to share :)
Madshi has stated that he won't be able to provide more info for now, so we have to be patient.

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »
Madshi has stated that he won't be able to provide more info for now, so we have to be patient.
Patient, whats patient?  Not sure we know the meaning of that word around here. :o

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »
I get that. What I mean. Is what is it??? I have no idea what it is. What it’s for. What you could do with it. 

Make pies?

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Manni

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
I get that. What I mean. Is what is it??? I have no idea what it is. What it’s for. What you could do with it.

Make pies?
At the very least tonemap HDR from any source, without the need to have a HTPC.
Until madshi is ready to say more, it's hard to elaborate.
Though it's fairly safe to say that if you expect it to make pies, you'll be disappointed :)
I guess if you know what madVR is, you get an idea of the range of what the Envy could do.
If you don't, then you need to look into what madVR does.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 04:14:50 PM »
At the very least tonemap HDR from any source, without the need to have a HTPC.
Until madshi is ready to say more, it's hard to elaborate.
Though it's fairly safe to say that if you expect it to make pies, you'll be disappointed :)
I guess if you know what madVR is, you get an idea of the range of what the Envy could do.
If you don't, then you need to look into what madVR does.
If we can get dynamic HDR tone mapping from this device with no PC needed, I can bake my own damn pie before the movie ! Apple or toasted pine nut ? ;D
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Haha. Ok. Yeah I’ve seen MadVR mentioned all over the place but just ignored it since I don’t use a HTPC

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Manni

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
Here is a bit more info just posted by Madshi:

"As mentioned I can't really say much right now, but after reading through all your posts, I feel the need to manage expectations a bit and to clear a few basic things up.

1. madVR is about way more than just tone mapping, as is the Envy.

2. madVR's algorithms require tons of processing power. There will be hardware parts in the Envy that each cost more than an HD Fury device. The initial release is going to be for the high-end home theater market. Pricing is not set yet, but I can say that if you're looking for prices anywhere near to an HD Fury device I'm afraid you will be deeply disappointed.

3. There are still some hurdles to clear before I know when (or even if) the Envy will be available, but I hope it will be available soon. Ideally I would have waited longer before pre-announcing the Envy, but interest in HTPCs for madVR has really taken off lately, mainly due to all the recent improvements in HDR tone mapping, so I wanted people to know about the Envy in case they prefer not to build an HTPC and wanted something that needs no tweaking and is more versatile.

I hope this helps clear some things up, as I can't really say more at this point, but I'll try to release some tidbits along the way."

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
Here is a bit more info just posted by Madshi:

"As mentioned I can't really say much right now, but after reading through all your posts, I feel the need to manage expectations a bit and to clear a few basic things up.

1. madVR is about way more than just tone mapping, as is the Envy.

2. madVR's algorithms require tons of processing power. There will be hardware parts in the Envy that each cost more than an HD Fury device. The initial release is going to be for the high-end home theater market. Pricing is not set yet, but I can say that if you're looking for prices anywhere near to an HD Fury device I'm afraid you will be deeply disappointed.

3. There are still some hurdles to clear before I know when (or even if) the Envy will be available, but I hope it will be available soon. Ideally I would have waited longer before pre-announcing the Envy, but interest in HTPCs for madVR has really taken off lately, mainly due to all the recent improvements in HDR tone mapping, so I wanted people to know about the Envy in case they prefer not to build an HTPC and wanted something that needs no tweaking and is more versatile.

I hope this helps clear some things up, as I can't really say more at this point, but I'll try to release some tidbits along the way."
More than an HD Fury but less than a Lumagen Radiance Pro would still have a good sized market. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSMike

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »
More than an HD Fury but less than a Lumagen Radiance Pro would still have a good sized market.
I hope that it is less than a Lumagen Pro, since Lumagen announced firmware release for dynamic tone mapping today.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal