AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread

Re: JVC DLA-RS1000/N5 & RS2000/NX7 Owners Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
ENJOY the thing! That's what's for!!  :) ;)

Agreed. I spent about 10 hours with it yesterday mostly watching video content. I just know people want this info.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 05:16:01 PM »
Well, there's no "methodology" going on. I was doing quick measurements last night, nothing too involved. And now that I think about it, I must have put the projector into HDR10 mode to measure because that's the easiest way to enable the filter. If I remember correctly, this changes the color temp/color mode setting too. I will double check tonight when I have time to play with the RS2000 again. The other measurements were using User1 mode with the D65 preset enabled.

AFAIK the filter is disabled in the HDR preset, you need to select the BT2020 profile to enable the filter.

My remark about methodology wasn't about the filter, it's about measuring contrast and brightness in general.

As I said, I'd rather let you do your thing rather than question everything you do, or you're going to think I'm nitpicking :) . It's just that we don't measure things the same way. I'll give more details if/when I post measurements next week, you'll see what I mean, but I don't want to slow down the thread with constant questions, and I like the fact that you don't forget to enjoy the projector.

Keep it coming :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:17:57 PM by Manni »

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 06:25:49 PM »
Agreed. I spent about 10 hours with it yesterday mostly watching video content. I just know people want this info.

How is the grey uniformity and (bright) corners compared to the RS500 you had?

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »

How is the grey uniformity and (bright) corners compared to the RS500 you had?

Greyfield and white field uniformity appear to be the same as the eshifters. I haven't measured but just looking by the eye it looks quite good. There are still bright corners. But it's the same as it always has been, they're next to impossible to see with realworld video content on screen.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 07:52:29 PM »
I don't particularly like the RS2000's built in upscaling. I'm seeing a lot of aliasing. I can confirm it's the internal scaling because madVR's NGU has no issues with aliasing scaling the same source. It almost appears to be a basic line doubling scaling. This could account for ARROW-AV's  input lag measurement of 1080p and 4K inputs being virtually identical.

My recommendation would be to use something else to scale at the moment. Fortunately most devices these days have very good upscaling built in. I'm using madVR's NGU scaling for all my <4K resolution content. It looks marvelous. By far the best looking image I've ever seen from a projector. You guys waiting for your pre-orders are in for a treat!

I think the biggest difference, other than the resolution increase, is the massive improvement with internal reflections and lens streaking. Mixed content just looks punchier because the grey/black midtones aren't being washed out as much. With white text on an all black background I'm seeing just the tiniest amount of bloom around the text, but that's only if I'm up close to the screen. Im actually seeing more horizontal lens streaking than vertical.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:15:06 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:21 PM »
I can't comment on the other forum, but I saw a few people claiming that these JVCs have banding and posterization. I can emphatically state my RS2000 does not show any signs of this at all. Trust me, it was one of the first things I looked for. If there is banding and posterization it's in the source or created somewhere else in the chain.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:56:26 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:52 AM »
I received my RS-2000 on Friday :-* .  No calibration, I just started with a couple of standard Blu-ray movies. Skyfall & C.A. Civil War.  The first think I noticed like Dylan and Chad B. is that the scaling to 4k is not so good and I'm being nice.  :-X   I'm kind of surprised by how bad it is actually.  I solved that pretty quickly by having my Oppo 203 do the upscaling and it was perfect from what I could tell.  No jagged edges or line aliasing that I noticed using the JVC.
What I noticed about the picture is it's very calm and has a solidarity to the picture that my RS-500 didn't quite have.  I love the way the iris works on Auto 2. With the manual iris at -8 for BD shooting a 117" wide image.  I am zooming the image to fill the entire width of the panel and to my surprise I notice no artifacts. So, I am leaving it.
Uhd BD is another story.  I'm still having a hard time after 4 hours on the clock to get a decent HDR picture.  I've used the tone mapping in the JVC and it just okay, I feel like the colors look a little washed out.  I also realized how many movies I have that have no metadata.  Anyway I tried using the Oppo tone mapping and it's not the best either as people know.  I will probably be buying a Panasonic at some point to do the tone mapping. HDR right now is a WIP for me and I will have Chad B. calibrate when my room is completed.
The high lamp is louder than I would like but, still okay I suppose.  I would rather just use low lamp and iris at 0.
Like Dylan, I noticed no banding or posterization in the picture. Even with CMD on Low I didn't notice any.
Yes, I do like the picture more over the RS-500 I had and while the contrast on paper is not as good it looks fantastic to me. Especially since I feel the DI on the RS-2000 is better than it was on the RS-500.
I've already filled out the paper work for the free lamp.  I should be good to go for a while.  :) 

To add, I also agree that internal reflections and lens streaking are much improved.
[/size]So, those are my thoughts right now with about 4 hours, more to come.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:59:38 AM by Tom Bley »

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »
Tom, nice summary. I agree with your take on the RS2000. It's a marvelous projector. I'm still seeing more artifacts with the dynamic iris than I would like to. Artifacts that weren't present with the older eshift dynamic iris. Someone on the other forum posted this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/3038288-official-jvc-rs3000-nx9-jvc-rs2000-nx7-n7-jvc-rs1000-nx5-n5-owners-thread-176.html#post57584946

He doesn't know it, but this is caused by the dynamic gamma that is applied along with the physical iris movements. It's too aggressive which is why white shifts in color temperature. I'm seeing similar shifts with colors too. I really hope JVC works on this because it wasn't a problem with the eshift models. I'm running the latest 1.20 firmware.

I'm also seeing clipped whites with the dynamic iris that I didn't see before. If anyone has the means check this clip out:

https://mega.nz/#!3lEWma5Q!7u6dxJxHm8xMpanxYDCpAqsVCI7KCH3GbBH0IiUEBgU

This is one of my go to clips to test out dynamic iris software. It's from The Hobbit. Keep an eye out on Gandalf's staff. Once he enters the cave the tip of his staff becomes one big white blob. You should be able to make out quite a bit of detail in it, but the heavy dynamic gamma stops that from happening. You can test this by disabling the DI and the enabling it to see what the dynamic iris/dynamic gamma is doing to the image and shifting it so much that clipping occurs (the white blob). I wonder if the old dynamic iris software could be ported over to these new models? Seeing how this is the same lens and iris I don't see why not?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:15:16 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »
Dylan, I have made JVC aware of the gamma issue you are talking about and the 1080P scaling.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
Awesome Mike. JVC has been very good in the past fixing issues. In the mean time, the DI is not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. Its still works fairly well and is something I don't mind leaving enabled. It just struck me odd that its performing worse than before. Backtracking is not something JVC typically does.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
Anyone else receive their new JVC 4K projector?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

AVSMike

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 02:23:29 PM »
JVC did not ship very many to the US, so not very many owners of the 2000. Several of the 1000's have shipped. We even have a few 1000's in stock.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 02:44:23 PM »
Greetings,

Great info/discussion Gents. Thanks so much for your input!

Regards,

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
Hi Ralph. Do you currently have one of the JVCs on preorder?
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »
Anyone else receive their new JVC 4K projector?

I received my rs2000 yesterday... working on it since, hoping to post soon... stay tuned! :)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal