AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC Autocal Software V11 for RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9 & calibration tips

Manni

Hi everyone,

We're going to explore soon the new JVC Autocal Software so I thought it would be useful to create a dedicated thread to collect here the best practice and calibration tips for this version of the software (V11) and the new native 4K models.

I'm in the process of compiling some info that I've started to post and I'll continue to do so over the next few weeks.

The thread will start properly once we're able to use the software with the units (I'm expecting an RS2000 as soon as they land, hopefully in the first half of December), as I'm waiting to be able to test things first hand before posting anything related specifically to the new software/models.

You'll find in the next post useful links to external resources or direct access to specific posts in this thread, either in the "reference" part (posts 2-29) or the body of the thread as it grows up. [Note: For now, only the links to posts with actual content are "live". I'll add the links as content is posted. Please refrain from asking questions about a [reserved] section until the initial content for the section has been posted. Thanks!]

I've tried to organize the information to make it easy for beginners to get started and for experienced users to get more advanced stuff.

More later...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:31:31 PM by Manni »

Manni

Useful Links and Index to Content
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:30 AM »
[NOTE: Under Construction, only the links with actual content are "live" for now]

GENERAL
JVC Autocal software V11 and user manual download: https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-nx9_dla-nx7_dla-nx5_dla-n7_dla-n5_dla-n11_dla-n8_dla-n6_dla-rs3000_dla-rs2000_dla-rs1000_calibrationsoft-dl.html

Screen adjustment mode table: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/projector/screen/

Feedback to JVC / Suggested Improvements: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg10384#msg10384

JVC RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9 User Manual: http://www33.jvckenwood.com/pdfs/B5A-2809-0C.pdf

FOR ALL USERS
Basic: How does the JVC Autocal work?
Basic: Which Meter to use? https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg10387#msg10387
Basic: Preparation
Basic: Calibration
Basic: Results
Basic: Troubleshooting https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg10392#msg10392
Basic: JVC HDR Auto-Tonemapping feature

FOR EXPERIENCED USERS
Advanced: Main changes from previous versions: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg10394#msg10394
Advanced: On/Off Contrast Measurements
Advanced: ANSI Contrast Measurements
Advanced: Factory Color profile measurements
Advanced: Detailed pre/post measurements for SDR Rec-709
Advanced: Detailed pre/post measurements for HDR BT-2020
Advanced: Detailed pre/post measurements for SDR BT-2020
Advanced: Detailed pre-post measurements for SDR DCI-P3
Advanced: Checking a Spyder 5 for accuracy
Advanced: Correcting the Spyder's errors with a reference meter
Advanced: Using Custom Color profiles (and profiles to download)
Advanced: Manual Gamma Calibration
Advanced: Using Custom Gamma Curves
Advanced: Using a Vertex/Maestro and the JVC Macro feature
Advanced: Using a  3D LUT for Reference Calibration after the Autocal
Advanced: Reserved
Advanced: Reserved
Advanced: To Do List and Various Notes
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:02:22 AM by Manni »

Manni

Feedback to JVC / Suggested improvements
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »
Here is a preliminary list of suggestions for future versions that would significantly improve the use of the software. Feel free to contribute if you have any (reasonable) suggestion. Of course I'll update this list once we can actually use V11 on the new models. I'll then try to get this to JVCs through my contacts.

• A better manual. The new manual for V11 is a bit more detailed, but it would be nice to have a technical reference manual with all the calibration tables in relation to settings, the aperture ranges that trigger a new color calibration, which settings (for example selecting a custom color profile) can prevent a gamma calibration, etc. There is still a lot of reverse engineering to do in order to fully understand the software and get the best results from it.
  • A “complete projector recalibration” unattended mode that would measure all the modes, for all the various iris, lamp and filter options (as now CMD isn't a factor anymore) and recalibrate the whole projector with the minimum number of steps. The new “reflect to all” for gamma is a step in this direction, but it doesn’t cover all the color recalibrations. The software could stop a few times to adjust the meter position if necessary, for example for high lamp and low lamp, but it could be very useful, especially if the next suggestions were implemented, for those who want to be able to change the settings freely during use without risking to end up with a non-calibrated “zone”. Failing this, or in addition, a full recalibration of the current mode, that would automatically go through all the aperture/lamp settings and run a color calibration so that all possible settings are calibrated.
  • Support for more meters. The i1pro2 and Spyder 5 are good, but it would be really useful to support the following meters:
    • X-rite i1displayPro/C6 OEM, because they are very popular and users are more likely to already own one.
    • Klein K10A for its speed & accuracy, and because it’s also very popular with Calibrators and enthusiasts.
    • BasicCColor Discus because it’s an excellent colorimeter, very stable and reliable especially near black, and the only prosumer model between consumer models such as Spyder/i1display Pro/C6 and professional high-end reference meters such as the Klein K10a.
  • Offering a way to provide a correction matrix for the Spyder 5 Pro/Elite or any other colorimeter supported in the future, so that those with access to another software and a reference meter can profile the Spyder 5 facing the lens to the reference meter facing the screen. This would make the “spreadsheet method” currently used to correct the errors of the Spyder 5 unnecessary, and would likely provide better results overall, significantly faster and with less hassle. Even better if the software could generate this matrix itself using the i1pro2 facing the screen, so we can use the Spyder 5 for everything including color/white point calibration, and not just for gamma when we have both meters.
  • Better manual gamma calibration options. We need more than 11 control points in the gamma section of the software for an S-Curve or to make manual adjustments near black. 21 steps would be a minimum, 33 steps would be better. Also the gamma software should allow to enter a value directly in the box for each point so we don’t have to make all the changes with the very slow graphical interface. In fact it would be great to get the gamma controls back into the unit itself, as an alternative to the simplified 3-band controls. It’s really cumbersome to have to go into the software to make gamma adjustments. Finally it would be useful to have more than 3 custom gamma curves. 5 would be good, 10 would be great.

Here are some less essential improvements that would help with calibration in general:

• Add BT2020 to the list of standard gamuts in the colour profile creation. We have Rec-709 and DCI, why not BT2020?
  • Add a “profile off with filter” option in the models with a filter, so that users with a 3D LUT box can use the best baseline for a 3D LUT calibration. Best RGB separation is usually obtained with profile off, and at the moment profile off—which is the only option without internal processing—isn’t the widest gamut as there is no way to use it with the filter on the rs2000/rs3000.
  • Offer a Rec-709-F (with filter) and a DCI-P3-NF (no filter). We already have a BT2020-F and a BT2020-NF (HDR) as factory profiles, but having options for the other gamut can be useful too.
  • Implement an internal meter to measure peakY and automatically select the most appropriate PQ Gamma curve brightness adjustment, as well as taking meter placement out of the equation for the Autocal. This could also lead the way to Dolby Vision support. The meter would read peakY and they would calculate the targets, enabling Dolby Vision as long as no relevant setting is changed in the user preset (lamp mode, iris setting, zoom ratio, gains, etc) and the lamp doesn’t dim or drifts by more than x percent (a 100% white pattern could be measured regularly to validate the DV mode). If one of these happens (change of settings, bulb dimming), DV would be disabled until a new calibration is done, a new peakY measurement is made and DV is enabled again. That way, Dolby wouldn’t have to worry about user measurements or drifts/changes causing wrong results, and we could have a DV implementation in projectors.
  • Detect black in HDR when the black level is raised in the content, so that the iris could close fully even when the content isn’t “black” from a stimulus/mastering point of view, but is still black form a director’s intention point of view.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:34:48 AM by Manni »

Manni

Experimental Online Tool
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
Reserved [Under Construction]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:32:53 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: How does the JVC Autocal work?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:00 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: Which Meter to use?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 07:26:55 AM »
[PRELIMINARY]

If you want to use the JVC Autocal V11, you can use two families of meters:

The Spyder 5 Pro/Elite/Express

If you want to buy one meter to do everything with the JVC Autocal at the lowest cost, that’s the meter to get. It's not perfect, but it provides great results for a limited investment.

Its strengths are a very wide range (it can read near black, I don't know the exact spec, and up to 10,000nits!) and a fairly good accuracy, although there is some unit to unit variation. This makes it the best tool (as far a JVC Autocal supported meters are concerned) for gamma calibration. It's normally used facing the lens of the projector.

Its weakness is that it’s not always super accurate from a color point of view, especially when reading off the lens, so it’s not the best meter to use for color (gamut+white point) calibration. Its color accuracy doesn't matter as much for gamma as three curves for Red, Green and Blue are run separately and it's mostly accurate for luminance. If you have an i1pro2, or can consider getting one, that’s a better tool for the job.

The Spyder 5 Pro (S5P100)/Elite (S5EL100) are the only models officially supported in this version, because they are the only two models in the Spyder 5 range with the environment sensor used by the environment feature of the Autocal software.

In my experience, the environment feature doesn’t yield any improvements in a fully dedicated, light controlled room. So if that’s your environment, you can safely buy a Spyder 5 Express (S5X100) and save some money. But if you have a white or colored living room, you might want to get the Spyder 5 Pro to see if you can get any benefit from that feature and let us know if it’s the case.

Apart from this environment sensor in the Pro/Elite, there is no difference in the hardware. All Spyder 5 models have a tripod mount thread, so they can all be used with the JVC Autocal. The only difference is the price, and the features enabled in the software package, which is entirely irrelevant for the JVC Autocal as you won’t use the Datacolor software. You only need the driver for the Spyder 5, which is present and identical for all the models.

There is no better quality in the meters themselves either, they seem to be as good (or as bad) irrespective of the model. I tested about 7 Spyder 5 (Express, Pro and Elite) and in the end I bought a 5 Pro as it measured very close to my i1pro2 off the screen.

Any Spyder 5 should take you 90% there. If you are concerned about the last 10%, you will usually have other meters and will use another calibration software, and we’ll discuss ways to correct the errors from the Spyder 5 to get near reference results.

My advice if you want to take the easy path is to get a Spyder 5 Express if you have a dedicated room or a Spyder 5 Pro if you want to be able to use/try all the features of the JVC Autocal. I don’t see any reason to buy the Spyder 5 Elite unless you want to use the Datacolor software and can see some features of interest that are only enabled with the Elite and not the Pro or Express.

As all colorimeters using non-glass filters, they can drift over time so I recommend to use a peli-case with dessicant to store them and protect them from humidity/temperature change between calibrations.

Here is some info on the range: https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyder5-family/

Note that the Spyder 4 and older are NOT compatible with the JVC Autocal V11, hence can't be used to calibrate the native 4K models.

The x-Rite i1Pro 2 (you only need the basic version for projector/display calibration use)
The i1pro 2 is a very good, semi-pro, near reference spectroradiometer. It is not to be confused with the x-Rite i1 Display Pro, also called i1d3, which is NOT compatible with the JVC Autocal. It’s average error shouldn’t be further away from reference than 1-3dE (max), which is very good for the price. That’s the meter I use to train my BasiCColor Discus when I use different calibration software, and the one I plan to use for color (gamut+white point) calibration with the Autocal.

There is no “recalibration” for i1pros, only “recertification”. Unless you use them for professional calibrations or suspect something is wrong with them, there is no need to recertify them, as they will come back exactly the same as they left, you will just have made x-Rite a bit wealthier. Unlike colorimeters using non-glass filters, they don’t drift.

The strength of the i1pro2 is gamut/color/white point correction. Its weakness is gamma calibration (especially in the low end), as they are not really reliable below 15% white when reading a typical SDR calibration of a JVC off the screen.

It's normally used facing the screen, which is an advantage as it can take the screen into consideration in the calibration. For this reason, JVC recommends to disable the Screen Adjust parameter in the projector after a color calibration with the i1pro2.

So ideally the i1Pro 2  should be used for color (gamut/white point) calibration only, and the Spyder 5 should be used for gamma calibration (preferably). If you only have an i1pro2 and want to use it as the sole meter, it’s possible to use tricks to get it to read gamma (I’ll explore some of them in other posts), but its limited range (0.2cd/m2 - 1200 cd/m2) makes it difficult to use in low light or facing the lens, even with diffuser.

It’s a great near reference meter and the best meter to use with the JVC Autocal to do a color calibration (gamut primaries + white point).

If you want to save some money, there are two alternatives to the i1pro2:

• The EFI ES-2000, a clone of the i1pro2, that apparently is detected as an i1pro2 by the Autocal Software and possibly by other calibration software, but can’t be used with x-Rite software for licensing reasons. I haven't tried it personally but others have confirmed it should work.
  • The older i1pro (preferably rev.B-D), that isn’t officially supported and has a smaller range (0.2-300nits). Still it can be used with the Autocal software, but I would only recommend it for a color calibration (gamut + white point), not for a gamma calibration. It also needs an initialization more often than the i1pro2, which makes it more annoying to use. See https://xritephoto.com/documents/literature/en/L7-518_i1PRO-i1PRO2_en.pdf for the differences between the two versions.

Whichever meter you use, you need the manufacturer's driver (Datacolor or X-rite) to be installed, not another third party (for example ArgyllCMS). Also, if the manufacturer's software loads a utility (Datacolor does), you have to prevent this from being loaded or it will conflict with the JVC Autocal when it tries to access the meter.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:30:02 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: Preparation
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:01 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:16 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: Calibration
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:08 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:23 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: Results
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:14 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:29 PM by Manni »

Manni

Re: JVC Autocal Software V11 for RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/N5/N7/NX9 projectors
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:20 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:35 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
[PRELIMINARY]

NETWORKING/TALKING TO THE PJ
Issue: The Autocal can’t talk to the projector, or it used to work, but suddenly it’s not responding. When clicking the “CHECK” button in the settings to check for network communication, it fails.
Solution 1: there is another process accessing the projector network interface through IP control, for example iRule or similar from an iOS or Android phone/tablet. Make sure there is no other software/app trying to access the JVC at the same time.
Solution 2: the network module in the projector needs to be reset. To do this, switch the projector off. Wait for the fan to go off and for the red light to stop blinking. Unplug the projector from the wall. Wait for the red light to go off. Plug the PJ back. Switch it back on. The network interface should be working again.
Solution 3: the IP address of the PJ might have changed since your last session (you can check this with the connected devices list in your router). For this reason I recommend to either use a fixed IP address, or if you use DHCP to reserve the IP address of the projector in your router using the MAC address. That way, you can still use DHCP to detect new devices but the PJ will always be allocated the same IP address.
Solution 4: the ECO mode in the projector is switched on. Switch it OFF to enable the JVC Autocal to work.

CALIBRATION
Issue: after a gamma calibration, the white line showing the measurement after calibration isn’t straight.
Solution: This is normal. The straight green line is for a gamma 2.2 target. If you select any other gamma target during calibration, the verification line will not be straight. This is why, as all the gamma curves are corrected at the same time, it is recommended to select “normal” (2.2) during calibration, so that a straight white line means that the calibration went well. Otherwise you need to interpret the shape of the curve to decide if it matches your target gamma or not.

VARIOUS
Issue: no input signal error message
Solution: the Autodial software needs a valid video input to the projector (10802 or 2160p) even if you’re not calibrating, so for example to load a custom gamma curve to a custom gamma slot, or to import a custom colour profile. So you need to get a source to display something that is send to the projector, even if it’s only a menu. Otherwise the software doesn’t work.
Issue: the meter (Spyder 5 or i1pro/i1pro2) isn't detected by the JVC Autocal software
Solution: Whichever meter you use, you need the manufacturer's driver (Datacolor or X-rite) to be installed, not another third party (for example ArgyllCMS). Also, if the manufacturer's software loads a utility (Datacolor does), you have to prevent this from being loaded or it will conflict with the JVC Autocal when it tries to access the meter.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:32:04 PM by Manni »

Manni

Basic: JVC HDR Auto-Tonemapping feature
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:47 PM by Manni »

Manni

Advanced: Main changes in V11 from previous versions
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:13 AM »
[PRELIMINARY]

Main changes from V5:
  • The 12 points gamma manual control are accessible in the software, it's the third option from the left in the main menu.
  • No environment menu anymore, just a screen adjust setting in the installation menu on the projector

Main changes from V6/V7:
  • No support for Spyder 4 models.
  • Support for Spyder 5 and i1pro2.
  • A "reflect to all" option that allows to copy a gamma calibration to all modes irrespective of filter, lamp, iris and CMD settings. Whether it's a "dumb" copy or whether it makes adjustments remains to be seen, but it's a nice option to have. Otherwise, the gamma calibration applies only to the mode with the same lamp and filter settings.
  • The CMD setting doesn't influence the calibration, so you don't have to calibrate CMD on/off separately for color. Only the aperture, lamp power and filter settings determine whether a separate color calibration is necessary or not.

Some of the above features (such as support for i1pro2) have been implemented on recent models, but I haven’t used them personally and haven’t kept track of the changes. V11 is the first version I use post V7.

As you'll see in the manual (see link in post #2), not many differences in the software itself, but I expect many differences to optimize the calibration process as the picture modes will be different, and of course the meters (Spyder 5 and i1pro 2), while already supported with the latest versions of the eshift models, are also different compared to those we used with the RSx00 in the old calibration thread (Spyder 4 on V6 and Spyder 5 on V7 only). I have both a Spyder 5 Pro and an i1pro 2 (as well as a Discus) so I plan to explore the best way to use each meter in order to get the best results, with or without additional calibration software and 3D LUTs.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:28:28 PM by Manni »

Manni

Advanced: On/Off Contrast Measurements
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:19 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:33:57 PM by Manni »

Manni

Advanced: ANSI Contrast Measurements
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:25 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:34:03 PM by Manni »

Go Up