AVS Discussions
  Go Down

madVR ENVY | Discussion Thread

Re: madVR ENVY | Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
It is the streaming service companies that build the Apps that are installed to players.  The player manufacturers have to convince the streaming provider to build one for their platform.
So how do all the various devices, such as ROKU and ZAPPITI etc. support literally ALL streaming service apps, everything from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Youtube etc..? Excuse my ignorance in this regard, I am not an expert when it comes to this particular subject.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 12:14:31 PM »
So how do all the various devices, such as ROKU and ZAPPITI etc. support literally ALL streaming service apps, everything from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Youtube etc..? Excuse my ignorance in this regard, I am not an expert when it comes to this particular subject.
Probably a licensing arrangement. More money needed on the front end I'll bet ! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »

Zappiti and Zidoo do not have streaming services unless they run a verified Android system. Anything else will be a hacked add-on. And even those maybe be limited to subpar 480p or 720p streams.

The problem is that to run those services you need verified and required hardware that make those players nearly impossible to modify. Completely closed systems is pretty much a requirement. How many times have we seen media players lose services due to hardware limitations of new app versions?...looking at you Roku. 

This is the reason why Kodi add-ons for Netflix are limited to 720p and sometimes 480p. They are pretty much modified add-ons that are not fully endorsed by the services or are using a modified web based player that are limited to 480p.

The worst thing MadVR LLC can do is attempt to have streaming services as that rabbit hole that is so deep that it will surely end in disaster.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 03:00:14 PM »
Zappiti and Zidoo do not have streaming services unless they run a verified Android system. Anything else will be a hacked add-on. And even those maybe be limited to subpar 480p or 720p streams.

The problem is that to run those services you need verified and required hardware that make those players nearly impossible to modify. Completely closed systems is pretty much a requirement. How many times have we seen media players lose services due to hardware limitations of new app versions?...looking at you Roku.

This is the reason why Kodi add-ons for Netflix are limited to 720p and sometimes 480p. They are pretty much modified add-ons that are not fully endorsed by the services or are using a modified web based player that are limited to 480p.

The worst thing MadVR LLC can do is attempt to have streaming services as that rabbit hole that is so deep that it will surely end in disaster.
Yikes! I had no idea it was such a minefield! We subcontract all our control system stuff to a third party who specialize in all of this, which includes all the streaming stuff. Clearly this was a good decision! 😲

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
Maybe I'm just lucky but I don't have many issues with my HTPC for my theater. I would say it's no less of a hassle than many of the Blu-ray players and smart TV implementations that I've used over the years. Nothing is really hassle free in my experience. The key is to turn off Windows update and use an older validated graphics driver known to be free of issues. Most of the driver updates for GPUs are for improvements to performance in video games, so having the latest drivers is not important.

I have my HTPC setup so I can pop a UHD Blu-ray disc in my tray and it will automatically start playing with no intervention on my part. It works like a regular Blu-ray player in this aspect. I mostly rip my discs to my PC though and when guests are over, I show them my collection through Kodi, which sort of looks and functions like a kaleidescape server.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 04:34:26 PM by Dylan Seeger »
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »
I have my HTPC setup so I can pop a UHD Blu-ray disc in my tray and it will automatically start playing with no intervention on my part.
Dylan, I am not understanding something for HTPC.  Are there actual UHD BD players for HTPC's or do you use a standard BD player that will read and play UHD BD discs somehow with software?  I want to get into MadVR but, I don't want to rip discs right away and want to just be able to play a UHD disc in the HTPC.

I was looking at the Steiger Dynamic HTPC's but, not sure how to configure when it comes to the above. Thanks.

https://www.steigerdynamics.com/products-maven-htpc-configure
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 05:36:57 PM by Tom Bley »

claw

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »
You need a UHD "friendly" BD drive, not an official UHD drive.   You have to flash the friendly drive with older firmware since their "friendliness" has been disabled by the manufactures in drives with current firmware.

Then you need software such as AnyDVD HD to decrypt the UHD disc loaded in the friendly drive.

I use JRiver with MadVR to play folder backups of my UHD discs, but I can also play the disc directly from the drive.   I sometimes have to wait a couple of weeks for AnyDVD HD to get an update to decrypt a newly released disc.

I have not made any changes to my HTPC configuration since I upgraded the JRiver version in January.   I power up the HTCP into Windows 10.  I have JRiver launched automatically and display a cover flow of all the backed up UHD discs.   I choose a disc and select play that brings up the same disc menus that you would see with a UHD disc player.   I use a Media Center remote to navigate to discs, and select audio options.

With official UHD drives, you need specific Intel CPU/motherboards and Windows 10 with PowerDVD combination that supports the DRM and has ability to decrypt the disc just like a UHD disc player does.     
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Tom Bley

• We'll just do it in Dubly
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 07:46:24 AM »
You need a UHD "friendly" BD drive, not an official UHD drive.  You have to flash the friendly drive with older firmware since their "friendliness" has been disabled by the manufactures in drives with current firmware.

Then you need software such as AnyDVD HD to decrypt the UHD disc loaded in the friendly drive.

I use JRiver with MadVR to play folder backups of my UHD discs, but I can also play the disc directly from the drive.  I sometimes have to wait a couple of weeks for AnyDVD HD to get an update to decrypt a newly released disc.

I have not made any changes to my HTPC configuration since I upgraded the JRiver version in January.  I power up the HTCP into Windows 10.  I have JRiver launched automatically and display a cover flow of all the backed up UHD discs.  I choose a disc and select play that brings up the same disc menus that you would see with a UHD disc player.  I use a Media Center remote to navigate to discs, and select audio options.

With official UHD drives, you need specific Intel CPU/motherboards and Windows 10 with PowerDVD combination that supports the DRM and has ability to decrypt the disc just like a UHD disc player does.   
Hey claw,  Thanks a bunch! 8)

bmoney

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 02:24:39 PM »
So haven’t heard much on this thing. Any word on it. Any good? How does it compare to the lumagen?

Seems overpriced to me. Idk
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2021, 10:11:54 AM »
With my new HTPC (RTX3080TI) madvr cranked at max it outperform my ENVY by far. still a lot of work to tune but personally i don't care been a long time madvr user i can easily manage all the tweaks. The thing is that with the hardware improving every years it is more flexible to upgrade by yourself using what you really need.
I will try to sell it (ENVY Extreme) but i am afraid that it was already too late to recover my money.:-\

bmoney

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
It seems the envy is still lacking in a quite a few features. And they are VERY slow
At rolling them out. 

I could
Be wrong tho

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2022, 03:02:30 PM »
man this thing is expensive.  ill stick to the LRP

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »
It seems the envy is still lacking in a quite a few features. And they are VERY slow

At rolling them out. 

I could
Be wrong tho

man this thing is expensive.  ill stick to the LRP
If you're happy with the Lumagen, and it's meeting your needs, then there's little need for you to consider switching.

But in the interest of providing accurate information, I wanted to make a comment or two:

Regarding cost, there are 2 models: the Pro at $7,995 and the Extreme at $13,495. I'm not that familiar with the Lumagen pricing, but others have commented that a well-configured Lumagen could be in the same ballpark as the Pro model. But if that's not accurate, I'm happy to be corrected.

Regarding missing features, which the Lumagen has that the Envy doesn't, I'm not aware of any, so if you could identify what you've heard, I'd be interested. There are couple of differences in basic design that would make particular people not good candidates for the Envy, so perhaps that's what you've heard? The Envy, by design, has a 200ms input lag, to allow time for its processing, so avid gamers would not want to use the Envy in-line for gaming. And some like to use the Lumagen for its multiple video inputs. The Envy simply goes between the AVR/Pre-Pro and Projector. Neither design strategy is 'right', it's just a question of what best serves a given person's needs.

Lastly, on feature roll-out, I would have to respectfully disagree. I've had my Envy for coming up on 2 years, and in the first year alone, they added a wide variety of features: instantaneous aspect ratio detection, a very sophisticated and intelligent strategy for managing subtitles, the 'Profile' system which allows for powerful yet easy configuration and customization of features, Non Linear Stretch, and Geometry Correction to eliminate the barrel (or pincushion) distortion associated with the use of anamorphic lenses.

Mathias has been extremely busy this year working on the next major feature upgrade: AI-based Motion/Frame Interpolation. The idea is to enable smoother motion without the almost inevitable artifacts resulting in its implementation in projectors. This will likely be released in the next few months.

They're also adding IP control of JVC (and Sony, I think, not 100% sure) projectors, direct from the Envy. And there are many other enhancements of the video processing being worked on as well.

Again, I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything; I just wanted to clarify at least my understanding on these matters.

bmoney

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 07:38:03 AM »
The lack of features post is an old one. It was at the time it didn’t have auto aspect. 

And a lumagen is $4000. (Retail is a bit higher but no where near $8k and almost no one pays msrp)

I’m sure it’s a nice unit. Just way overpriced and too new imho

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 08:21:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

It did get me curious about pricing, since I know I have heard it can run much higher than that, depending on which model, how many inputs/outputs, etc. So I did a little digging so I would know for sure, and came across this PDF from Jim Peterson himself:

The Radiance Pro 5348 is meant as the premier Radiance Pro product and as such commands a premium price. The retail for the Radiance Pro 5348-USB is $9495 USD.

Here is the link to this document. Clearly there are less expensive models, but some are more expensive than the Envy Pro.

And you are correct, it is a new product, and as such there is some associated risk, which I do understand. And it's something that I pondered a couple of years ago, when trying to decide between the two. I'm generally risk averse, but personally felt comfortable giving them a try. Two years later, and things have just gotten better and better.

And there is a benefit side in being new that counter-balances this. The User Interface of the Envy is incredibly user-friendly, making for a very modern experience. One example of this is the Firmware update process. I have read descriptions of how this is done with the Lumagen, and it is cumbersome and a bit archaic at best - download and unzip the file, establish a connection, pick com ports, baud rates, etc. This process really reflects its age, and not in a good way.

With the Envy, you call up the Firmware page in its Menu with a click or two, and then select Update. It takes anywhere from 15 seconds to 30 seconds and you're done. This is done completely through its ethernet connection, and requires no extra gear or devices. It couldn't be easier. This reflects its modern design.

Again, I am definitely not trying to persuade you about anything, and am honestly not wanting to be argumentative. But for those who read this forum, who might be considering one of these processors, I think it's important that they have all the relevant information, on both devices, so they can make a truly informed decision. I am a retired physician, and the concept of Informed Consent is still a very important part of my approach to life. Put all the facts out there, so people have what they need to decide what is best for them.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal