AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Build Your Own HTPC

claw

Re: Build Your Own HTPC
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
There are many optimizations to try (switching power mode to adaptive instead of optimal in the driver or using ordered dithering, lowering chroma upscaling to NGU medium if you're using a higher setting, increasing or decreasing the queue sizes, etc) that might allow you to not compromise on other things. If you are using UHD BD menus, it means you're using copyback or software decoding, you're also losing perf (compared to using D3D11 native) or relying on your CPU to do this. You could try to look at your load for the CPU / GPU during playback and see if there is a bottleneck.

For refresh rate, that's easy to solve, you just need to install the latest CRU (at least 1.4.1, older versions won't work) and create a custom resolution. I attach the one I've created, you only have to import it in CRU and then select the PC UHD custom resolution. It will say 24p, but it's 23p really and I have no dropped frames for hours, if not days, although jRiver takes a while before updating the "time between frame drop" info. For some reason it starts with a small value, but there is no drop.

Good luck!
Thanks, I was able to load your custom resolution in CRU.  It eliminated both dropped and repeated frames (after 2 or 3 seconds).

I have two remaining issues to tackle regarding dropped/repeated frames:

- I get both dropped and repeated frames for 2-3 seconds when starting playback, skipping chapters, and when resuming playback after a pause.  Then no dropped/repeated frames for the remainder of the movie.

- I still need to compromise performance for chroma channels or I get dropped frames; even though rendering times dropped to 38 ms without the compromise after loading your custom resolution.

I will keep on tinkering.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:15:48 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Manni

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks, I was able to load your custom resolution in CRU.  It eliminated both dropped and repeated frames (after 2 or 3 seconds).

I have two remaining issues to tackle regarding dropped/repeated frames:

- I get both dropped and repeated frames for 2-3 seconds when starting playback, skipping chapters, and when resuming playback after a pause.  Then no dropped/repeated frames for the remainder of the movie.

- I still need to compromise performance for chroma channels or I get dropped frames; even though rendering times dropped to 38 ms without the compromise after loading your custom resolution.

I will keep on tinkering.
The skipped frames after start/pause/skip is completely normal. Just do a ctrl-r to reset them after 2-3 secs, there shouldn’t be anymore after that.

You need to check your other settings, you shouldn’t need to compromise with a 2080 unless the CPU/memory is a bottleneck. Look at your queues. Are they full?

38ms is still too close to the 41ms limit. You need to be at 35ms max, unless you test with worst case scenario (16/9, no black bars, challenging content, for example Pacific Rim chapter 3).

Make sure you use 8bits RGB, 12bits is slower, not better and chroma is worse.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 04:53:19 PM by Manni »

woofer

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 06:03:23 AM »
Updated my 1080TI to a RTX 2080TI , did a clean install of all software. I can now "nearly" max out all of madVRs quality settings.....

Absolutley "Awesome" image now with the 2080TI and madVR,s HSTM!!!:)

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal