AVS Discussions
  Go Down

JVC Autocal Software V12 calibration for 2019 RS1000/RS2000/RS3000/NX5/NX7/NX9

Which test patterns are you using? My NX9 does exhibit clipping with certain content. Yellowing doesn't seem to be as bad though, but I haven't done any sort of objective testing for that.

Just simple ones I made.  Like a black screen with a small grey square with a near white gradient.

So you can see that the gradient turns into a flat yellow color when the dynamic iris closes.

On the NX5/7 it does, on the NX9 it does not.

Just simple ones I made.  Like a black screen with a small grey square with a near white gradient.

So you can see that the gradient turns into a flat yellow color when the dynamic iris closes.

On the NX5/7 it does, on the NX9 it does not.
Like I said, I haven't done any objective testing for yellowing, but there certainly is clipping on real world video content in some instances.
A/V Reviewer
Home Theater Review
My Equipment

Manni

For those wanting to experiment with their xRite i1 display Pro (i1d3) in the JVC Autocal V11 (V12 hasn't been confirmed as working yet), there is now a website in English explaining the procedure [link temporarily removed].

Please ask questions to the author directly, or in another forum, because I don't have an i1d3 anymore, so haven't been able to test this.

I've added the link to the index for reference.

[edit 03-30-20: the author has asked to remove all links to his webpage while the legal situation of this unofficial hack is assessed. Please remove it from your replies if you have quoted this post. Thank you.]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:52:04 AM by Manni »

Manni

Interesting reading anyway, thks for the heads-up.

Just a by the way question :  there is no manual way to engage the cinefilter  ?  Or is there ?
There are IP commands to do so.

jj-34

There are IP commands to do so.
As the filter is part of the group that use the same color calibration, and that the filter is an automatic setting as per the color profile, I was wondering if there was also a separate manual way, now I know there isn't ..... ( IP is not an option for me ).Thks

Manni

Manni, have you seen the author's latest comment on his website ?
That's really too bad if ever JVC was going to ban the mod, as it is in fact an improvement making the JVC's autocal even more appealing not forgetting that JVC does not offer the i1D3 support.
Several forumers here (French HCFR) have already tested the mod and it appears to be very good indeed.

In the mean time I have received a reply from Steven, he took it away by himself as his mod was spreading fast and he feared some "mailing" from JVC lawiers.  He contacted JVC and is now waiting an answer.

No, I hadn't seen this, thanks for letting me know.

I've taken the links away until further notice, following the author's request. Please take them out of your replies as you've quoted my post a few times and I can't edit you posts.

It would be great if JVC added official id3 support indeed, it's been asked for a long time.

I guess their concern is warranty issues from users if the unsupported modified software was causing any issue.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:55:27 AM by Manni »

jj-34

Done, but I did not quote your post really, I only mentionned your name (once) so that the kudos of having found that nice possibility go you  8)

Manni

Done, but I did not quote your post really, I only mentionned your name (once) so that the kudos of having found that nice possibility go you  8)
You quoted my post twice, and the link is still in the quote, in the two posts below :)

https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg16223#msg16223
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg16315#msg16315

jj-34

You quoted my post twice, and the link is still in the quote, in the two posts below :)

OK posts removed, I got it now, you meant the links in your replies that I quoted in THIS forum .....   ???

I mentionned your name once in our french forum .......  You know the kudos ... 8)

Is everyone under the consensus that the Spyder X works fine for gamma only?  I've only used the Spyder 5, but I just pulled the trigger on the X since I read it was so much faster with the 33 point autocal.

My plan is to run the gamma for the below combinations...

SDR:  rec709 > gamma 2.4 > 6500k > low lamp > -7 iris (currently 16.5 FL)

HDR:  bt.2020 > gamma st.2084 > HDR temp > low lamp > 0 iris (currently 25 FL)  *will be using frame by frame DTM

MadVR:  bt.2020 > gamma 2.4 > 6500k > low lamp > -5 iris (currently 55 nits)  *HSTM DTM

Am I missing anything or does this sound ok?

Thanks again for the write up Manni,
Jeremy

Manni

Is everyone under the consensus that the Spyder X works fine for gamma only?  I've only used the Spyder 5, but I just pulled the trigger on the X since I read it was so much faster with the 33 point autocal.

My plan is to run the gamma for the below combinations...

SDR:  rec709 > gamma 2.4 > 6500k > low lamp > -7 iris (currently 16.5 FL)

HDR:  bt.2020 > gamma st.2084 > HDR temp > low lamp > 0 iris (currently 25 FL)  *will be using frame by frame DTM

MadVR:  bt.2020 > gamma 2.4 > 6500k > low lamp > -5 iris (currently 55 nits)  *HSTM DTM

Am I missing anything or does this sound ok?

Thanks again for the write up Manni,
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Yes Spyder X is about twice as fast, so it does make a big difference for the 33 steps gamma. Just make sure you don't use it for color.

Your plan sounds good, though you could use P3 instead of BT2020 for your madVR calibration. It's especially recommended if you plan to generate a 3D LUT with madVR. Otherwise, BT2020 is fine and can be used by other consumer sources converting to SDR.

If you only plan to use madVR with this calibration and if you do plan to use a 3D LUT, I suggest setting your baseline to  P3 gamma 2.2, as you'll need to use a 2.2 target for the LUT. It's only the target that needs to be 2.2, so the baseline on the display can be 2.4, it will just mean more (unnecessary) correction for the LUT.

Good luck!

SDR:  rec709 > gamma 2.4 > 6500k > low lamp > -7 iris (currently 16.5 FL)

Hi Jeremy,

Yes Spyder X is about twice as fast, so it does make a big difference for the 33 steps gamma. Just make sure you don't use it for color.

Manni, could I get clarification on one point here, since I have seen conflicting statements from very knowledgeable individuals on this issue.

When doing a Gamma Autocalibration, it has been my understanding that it is best to do this with the Aperture wide open, regardless of what Aperture you would actually be using.  This would provide the most light, for greatest accuracy, at the dim end of the scale.

Further, and as a corollary of this, it was also my understanding that there is only one "slot" available for Gamma for a given set of parameters - that if you did it with Aperture 0, and then did one at Aperture -7, the latter would overwrite the former.

I'll freely acknowledge I may have this completely wrong, and hope you don't mind my asking for clarification, for myself, and whoever else might be confused about this.

Manni

No worries, both statements above are correct, you got it right :)

Gamma autocal with the iris fully open is the recommended way (especially with 33 steps) to maximise readings near black, and if you redo it at any other iris setting, it will replace the previous calibration (assuming same filter / lamp setting of course).

In the post you quoted, unless I got it wrong, the SDR has no filter, and the HDR has the filter, so it should be two different gamma slots. However I was thinking rs2000/3000. You are correct that if the OP has an rs1000 without a filter, then the second gamma calibration would replace the first one, as the lamp mode is the same (low) and there is no filter for the rs1000.

Whether to OP does the SDR gamma autocal at -7 or 0 (assuming, again, a model with the filter switched off for SDR) depends on whether he gets zero readings at -7 or not. If he does, he can do the SDR gamma at zero and move the iris back to -7 for color (if there is any color autocal done). If there is no filter, then he should only take one gamma autocal in the HDR mode (iris open) as it will also apply to the SDR calibration (same lamp mode, same filter mode).

I read the post as indicating the final settings for the different calibration, not as suggesting that the recommendation of doing gamma with the iris open wouldn't be followed.

In any case, useful clarification :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:20:37 PM by Manni »

No worries, both statements above are correct, you got it right :)

Gamma autocal with the iris fully open is the recommended way (especially with 33 steps) to maximise readings near black, and if you redo it at any other iris setting, it will replace the previous calibration (assuming same filter / lamp setting of course).

In the post you quoted, unless I got it wrong, the SDR has no filter, and the HDR has the filter, so it should be two different gamma slots. However I was thinking rs2000/3000. You are correct that if the OP has an rs1000 without a filter, then the second gamma calibration would replace the first one, as the lamp mode is the same (low) and there is no filter for the rs1000.

Whether to OP does the SDR gamma autocal at -7 or 0 (assuming, again, a model with the filter switched off for SDR) depends on whether he gets zero readings at -7 or not. If he does, he can do the SDR gamma at zero and move the iris back to -7 for color (if there is any color autocal done). If there is no filter, then he should only take one gamma autocal in the HDR mode (iris open) as it will also apply to the SDR calibration (same lamp mode, same filter mode).

I read the post as indicating the final settings for the different calibration, not as suggesting that the recommendation of doing gamma with the iris open wouldn't be followed.

In any case, useful clarification :)
Thank you Manni for your help as always.  In the past I had always done 1 gamma calibration at the 0 iris position (each with and without the filter in place), but I read where Kris Deering said that there are different gamma tables just like the color in autocal.  As a result, I read that to mean that I should run the autocal at each iris position I plan on using.  In this case for SDR would be -7 for my desired brightness.  Maybe I misread his quote from avsforum...

original poster..

"The different aperture ranges are only for colour calibration (which includes grey scale). There are no separate gamma tables for different aperture ranges."

from Kris...

"Umm, this is not correct. The tables are indeed for gamma/grayscale. What he is seeing here is probably a bump in overall output because the table he is in is LESS accurate (the balance of RGB). If you want the entire range of the aperture to be correct, you have to do a full GAMMA calibration for each range in the JVC software. Color is important too because it balances the white point more than the gamma does in their software."

I apologize if I misunderstood Kris' response.

Manni

I have seen this post from Kris and it doesn't tally with my experience, but I could be wrong because I have only used one iris setting per calibration for a long time, so things could have changed.

It's easy to check, but time consuming:

• Load the INIT file to get back to factory settings to bring back the worst possible pre-cal state.
  • In the same calibration, say SDR rec-709 with a 2.2 gamma to make logs reading in the autocal easier:
  • Measure gamma at 0, -4, -8 and -12 (preferably with another software and a known, accurate meter, otherwise autocal log only is fine) and take screenshot of each.
  • Do a 33 steps gamma+color calibration at 0 and a color only at -4, -8 and -12 (recommended autocal with official range points).
  • Measure gamma at 0, -4, -8 and -12 and take screenshots of each. Is it better at all iris apertures? This would confirm that a gamma calibration applies to all ranges for the same calibration (even without using "apply to all", which as far as I know applies to all lamp and filter settings).
  • Do a gamma only calibration at -12.
  • Measure gamma at -12 and take a screenshot. Is it better than before the -12 gamma calibration, especially near black? This would confirm that a gamma calibration at the iris setting used by the calibration provides better results (this could be the case by the way as long as no measurement returns zero). I often do my gamma calibration at the iris setting that I actually use for a given calibration, unless it returns zero readings for R,G or G for the first step near black.
  • Measure gamma at 0 and take a screenshot. Is it worse than before the -12 gamma calibration, especially near black? This would confirm that a second gamma calibration without changing filter or lamp mode replaces the previous one.

If I had the time or the inclination, I would run these tests, but I don't. :)

If anyone has the time and the inclination to run them, please post your findings (with screenshots). Kris might be right. He knows his stuff.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:04:33 AM by Manni »

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal