AVS Discussions
  Go Down

best 4k picture discs

Re: best 4k picture discs
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
I think ill try see if i can snap some screenshots that show some of the issues im mentioning, so the debate can be a bit more objective.. Looking fine, or bad is very subjective, so i should have posted some evidence to support my statement, so that others could follow up on by proving me wrong, removing the subjective part of the debate.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:02 PM »
I think ill try see if i can snap some screenshots that show some of the issues im mentioning, so the debate can be a bit more objective.. Looking fine, or bad is very subjective, so i should have posted some evidence to support my statement, so that others could follow up on by proving me wrong, removing the subjective part of the debate.

I also go by multiple review websites, so I can see if there is a consensus. Screen shots are notoriously unreliable. What display exactly are you watching Blu Rays on ? 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2016, 06:56:06 AM »
I also go by multiple review websites, so I can see if there is a consensus. Screen shots are notoriously unreliable. What display exactly are you watching Blu Rays on ?

In this case im refering to low level information, wich is a mastering thing, as non of the formats will have any issues with that, and ill think i can capture that on screenshots, i know the gamma performance of the display for both HD and UHD, it tracs pretty nice to around 70%IRE for SMPTE 2084 wich is more than i need to evaluate the low end scale.

You guys are welcome to show gamma performance on your displays both HD gamma and UHD gamma curve, and try see if you can find more low end information than i can on specifik discs, and that way keep this objektive.

Pioneer 5090

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:59:32 AM by stridsvognen »

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »
Keep your Blu Ray player, and you can A / B it yourself with the included Blu Ray that comes with the 4K BR. You just need a 4K splitter ( the HD Fury Integral makes for a great splitter ) and a 4K Blu Ray player !

I was already planning to keep my older Panasonic connected also.  With the issues reported between my Vizio and the Samsung, I'll have to look into a custom setup for the TV that I will want to limit to the gaming input while keeping the Panny on another.  That setup would screw up the video on a standard BR disc.

Don't know how long it will be to get this stuff done, but the new 4K BR comes in tomorrow...
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Pouring 2 Buck Chuck in a Chateau Petrus bottle doesn't make it taste any better

I'm not a wine drinker but that's hilarious... (and, a good analogy to boot)

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 02:09:43 PM »
So I put Kingsman : The Secret Service on 4K BR on my RS4500 last night, and the picture was just astounding !  :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:39:38 PM by AVSCraig »

claw

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
So I put Kingsman : The Secret Service on 4K BR on my RS4500 last night, and the picture was so astounding, Chris Deutsch of JVC even said " look how sharp that is ", and walked right up to my screen in amazement !  :)
I have seen mention that Kingsman was mastered from an original 2.8K source.  It is incredibly sharp.    I don't see why more people don't mention this disc as being one of the go to for demos.

BTW: I was astonished the first time I saw the credits roll at the end of Star Trek Beyond to see that Sofia Boutella played the role of Jaylah.   I did not recognize her (due to the makeup and accent) as being the same actress that played Gazelle in Kingsman.   I had to watch both films again and only then realized how similar her combat moves were in both.    I guess she may have learned those moves while being a backup dancer for Madonna. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:08:40 PM by cjake »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »
I have seen mention that Kingsman was mastered from an original 2.8K source.  It is incredibly sharp.    I don't see why more people don't mention this disc as being one of the go to for demos.

BTW: I was astonished the first time I saw the credits roll at the end of Star Trek Beyond to see that Sofia Boutella played the role of Jaylah.   I did not recognize her (due to the makeup and accent) as being the same actress that played Gazelle in Kingsman.   I had to watch both films again and only then realized how similar her combat moves were in both.    I guess she may have learned those moves while being a backup dancer for Madonna.

Ha - I had no clue that was the same actress ! She's getting some fun juicy roles, that's for sure !

claw

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
Ha - I had no clue that was the same actress ! She's getting some fun juicy roles, that's for sure !
I wasn't expecting much from the upcoming remake of The Mummy with Tom Cruise.  But with Sofia Boutella taking on the title role, I am looking forward to viewing it.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal