AVS Discussions
  Go Down

best 4k picture discs

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
Re: best 4k picture discs
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
Found this site for checking the resolution of the movies.. If its a real UHD resolution or just upscaled.
http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/pacific-rim/

Interesting that while that website states that the new Star Trek Beyond 4K disc is " fake 4K ", A / B'ing it yesterday with the Blu Ray disc clearly showed that the 4K version looked superior. Clearer, cleaner, better color, more detailed. All three of us saw the difference. It was enough for me to add quite a few 4K movies to my wish list at Amazon for when they go on sale. Pacific Rim looked crazy good on 4K !

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2016, 11:54:50 AM »
Interesting that while that website states that the new Star Trek Beyond 4K disc is " fake 4K ", A / B'ing it yesterday with the Blu Ray disc clearly showed that the 4K version looked superior. Clearer, cleaner, better color, more detailed. All three of us saw the difference. It was enough for me to add quite a few 4K movies to my wish list at Amazon for when they go on sale. Pacific Rim looked crazy good on 4K !

So very true...it looked considerably better!
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

bmoney

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
thats why im not sure why people get up in arms if its an upconvert...who cares as long as the final image is outstanding smh
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

richlife69

• Let's find some grass and roll in it!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »

I appreciate you posting this, Craig -- and I'm sure lots of others do also.  I still haven't receive my 4K player and have only one disc at this point (Independence Day).  So with all the Fake, non-Fake, and other flack being posted on this and other forums and in reviews, it's good to see that ya'll find that it's really better. 

(An aside:  Why Independence Day?  I've posted it before -- I've watched it at least once a year on the 4th every year since it was released.  If there is any 4K movie that I can see an improvement with, that will be it.  And it supposedly passes the non-Fake test.  Now if I just had a player...
Atmos/DTS:X Setup
Yamaha RX-A3060 w/ Elan Z-Fan; Config: 7.2.4 (switchable to 7.2.2 + Zone2)
Mirage Speakers: OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR); ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP)
aci Titan subs (2) RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
OPPO 203;  LG OLED65B6; Harmony 650 and Hub

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »
I appreciate you posting this, Craig -- and I'm sure lots of others do also.  I still haven't receive my 4K player and have only one disc at this point (Independence Day).  So with all the Fake, non-Fake, and other flack being posted on this and other forums and in reviews, it's good to see that ya'll find that it's really better. 

(An aside:  Why Independence Day?  I've posted it before -- I've watched it at least once a year on the 4th every year since it was released.  If there is any 4K movie that I can see an improvement with, that will be it.  And it supposedly passes the non-Fake test.  Now if I just had a player...

Keep your Blu Ray player, and you can A / B it yourself with the included Blu Ray that comes with the 4K BR. You just need a 4K splitter ( the HD Fury Integral makes for a great splitter ) and a 4K Blu Ray player !
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:44:11 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
I think the future of UHD will show its as always about the mastering.. There will be piss poor masterings, and they will most likely master BD even worse, just to give UHD something extra.. Many new movies no matter how they are shot dont even use the full resolution capability of BD.. It dont help having a 70mm film camera or 10mp digital camera if the lenses or other parameters in the process dont keep up.. The specs as usually dont mean much if its not used right.

A examnple i have here is San andreas.. displayed on a old Pioneer 1080P plasma..Playing the UHD disc, gives much better low level details, contrasty, and highlights.. its converted to SDR rec 709, so there is no reason it should be any better than the BD, but the BD is so poor mastered that its a crime, totaly washed out low level scenes or details, and i doubt there is many scenes in the movie that needs more than a 720P display to resolve the content..
Will be exiting to see if the studios in general will try to lift the UHD by lowering the BD standard, or they will try use the full potential of UHD to make it shine.

bmoney

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 07:29:39 AM »
I highly disagree they will master the Bd purposely worse so the uhd looks better. That's quite the conspiracy theory. Are you aways so synical?

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 07:58:24 AM »
I highly disagree they will master the Bd purposely worse so the uhd looks better. That's quite the conspiracy theory. Are you aways so synical?

There is quite  few examples out already.. I cant say if its on purpose or not.

bmoney

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »

SAn andreas BD (the one you refernced) is not that way with region A discs...not sure if they vary in different parts of the world...I think the transfer is outstanding...as does numerous review sites

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »

you actually already did...you said its "most likely" done on purpose

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
you actually already did...you said its "most likely" done on purpose

Most likely.. If not i guess they just dont have the skills to do better, wich i dont hope is the case.

Everybody needs motivation to invest in new hardware, if they do thair best with BD its hard to convince people why they need UHD... Deaper blacks.. wonder what that has to do with the UHD format, but its stil advertised as a UHD feature.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 10:55:35 AM »
I think the future of UHD will show its as always about the mastering.. There will be piss poor masterings, and they will most likely master BD even worse, just to give UHD something extra.. Many new movies no matter how they are shot dont even use the full resolution capability of BD.. It dont help having a 70mm film camera or 10mp digital camera if the lenses or other parameters in the process dont keep up.. The specs as usually dont mean much if its not used right.

A examnple i have here is San andreas.. displayed on a old Pioneer 1080P plasma..Playing the UHD disc, gives much better low level details, contrasty, and highlights.. its converted to SDR rec 709, so there is no reason it should be any better than the BD, but the BD is so poor mastered that its a crime, totaly washed out low level scenes or details, and i doubt there is many scenes in the movie that needs more than a 720P display to resolve the content..
Will be exiting to see if the studios in general will try to lift the UHD by lowering the BD standard, or they will try use the full potential of UHD to make it shine.

You need to make these comparisons on a 4K capable display of some sort. Not an " old Pioneer 1080P plasma ". Try a new Sony VW675 or JVC RS500 / 600 instead.

bmoney

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
You need to make these comparisons on a 4K capable display of some sort. Not an " old Pioneer 1080P plasma ". Try a new Sony VW675 or JVC RS500 / 600 instead.

there is also somthing else amiss....he writes about San Andreas "but the BD is so poor mastered that its a crime" this is so far from the general consensus (multiple professional reviewers) and my experience...

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2016, 11:36:25 AM »

I also disagree - the latest crop of Blu Rays look outstanding. The new Star Wars is one example, The Martian is another. I haven't watched Lone Survivor in 4K yet, but the Blu Ray looks excellent. Same with Everest - haven't watched the 4K version yet, but I've watched the Blu Ray 3 times. Excellent transfer.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal