diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: best 4k picture discs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 05:30:19 PM »
I hope they will up the game a bit and start scanning some of the good 70mm films.. Yhere is just something about the wa film captures stuff.

claw

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
I would choose Lucy over any other disc.   Every time I make any change to my setup, I end up watching Lucy all over again.   At least 7 times now beginning to end.  Never ceases to amaze me.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
I would choose Lucy over any other disc.   Every time I make any change to my setup, I end up watching Lucy all over again.   At least 7 times now beginning to end.  Never ceases to amaze me.

I just finally bought Lucy in 4K on Black Friday ( and about 10 other 4K movies ). What will be interesting is to compare it to the Blu Ray, since that is one sharp 1080p disc. Kingsman looks great in 4K, but looks great on 1080p. If those preliminary Oppo 4K player reviews are accurate, 4K Blu Ray's should look better still than with my current Samsung player. It's going to be a long month waiting for the Oppo, I tell you !!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
I plan on doing a bunch of 4K movie watching / testing this week, seeing as I will have a bunch of new ones to watch !

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 12:52:02 PM »
i double dipped on Pacific rim this weekend for 17.99 I could resist with all the glowing reviews!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
i double dipped on Pacific rim this weekend for 17.99 I could resist with all the glowing reviews!

I got that movie too, and The Great Gatsby, Lone Survivor, Jupiter Rising ( a guilty pleasure purchase - haven't seen it ), Everest ( love this movie ), all four Hunger Games ( like them a lot too ), Mad Max ( which I held off on, but I'm looking forward to comparing with the BR, and comparing watching the 4K disc on the JVC vs the BR on my Sony VW600 ), Oblivion ( like this film too ). And I need to sit down and watch " Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon " on 4k too. I'm pretty much caught up - there are no more 4K movies that I want to buy, that are currently available. Waiting on " Arrival " and a few others to be released, and come down in price. 2017 looks to be a bigger 4K movie year, hopefully !

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
I dont really see much movies on UHD that has the quality to justify re buy them on UHD. Most of them dont take full advantage of HD blu ray resolution, like  The Great Gatsby.. It would not really matter if the source is 720 1080 or UHD.

Mad Max, Pacifik Rim is other what ill call medium resolution movie.

A good way to tell is to shoot some screenshots, without using all kinds of enhancements, a SONY projector wont do, but a JVC should be ok for it. And you will notice that its kind of hard to find frames where its going to show sharp high res content.

Another point is that i think most people look at UHD for sharpness, as they write on some of the movies.. 4 times sharper, i would think it should be more refined, softer more natural details.. But guess that dont sounds as impressive, and there seems to be a general consensus that sharper is what everybody want, i just gets a bit tired of all the woooowww sharpness and enhanced effects, and would really enjoy some true high res material where the goal is reproduction, or generate a trusthworthy image that puts you right where the action is.

Take a look on this UHD promotion for the UHD disc of the Martian.. They were not able to find a frame in the movie to use, so they manipulated the image on the cover.. Makes me sad.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:34:30 PM by stridsvognen »

claw

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 02:45:52 PM »
I got that movie too, and The Great Gatsby, Lone Survivor, Jupiter Rising ( a guilty pleasure purchase - haven't seen it ), Everest ( love this movie ), all four Hunger Games ( like them a lot too ), Mad Max ( which I held off on, but I'm looking forward to comparing with the BR, and comparing watching the 4K disc on the JVC vs the BR on my Sony VW600 ), Oblivion ( like this film too ). And I need to sit down and watch " Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon " on 4k too. I'm pretty much caught up - there are no more 4K movies that I want to buy, that are currently available. Waiting on " Arrival " and a few others to be released, and come down in price. 2017 looks to be a bigger 4K movie year, hopefully !
I was surprised how good Jupiter Rising looked in HDR on my RS500 considering how dark it is for most of the movie.  Like the lights on the flying motor bike (spacecycle?) ridden by actress Doona Bae; my favorite Korean actress (Cloud Atlas and Netflix Sense8).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:34:22 PM by cjake »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 03:24:53 PM »
The wider color gamut seems to be the main improvement with UHD BD.  According to people who've had their RS500/600 calibrated stripping out HDR and using SDR 2020 seem to think it's an improvement over regular BD in most cases.

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 03:27:15 PM »
The wider color gamut seems to be the main improvement with UHD BD.  According to people who've had their RS500/600 calibrated stripping out HDR and using SDR 2020 seem to think it's an improvement over regular BD in most cases.

this x100

people who think 4k is just about resolution are ignorant (color me just that PRIOR to even seeing 4k in my room)

4k UHD HDR is in 1 word...amazing when done right...and its done right most of the time

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »
this x100

people who think 4k is just about resolution are ignorant (color me just that PRIOR to even seeing 4k in my room)

4k UHD HDR is in 1 word...amazing when done right...and its done right most of the time

Have to disagree here, most its done wrong, almost nobody have equipment that will live up to the full specs of HDR WCG, and its then remapped and manipulated to get reproduced, Dont know about any projector capable of producing the needet light output for the current HDR format. Most dont even have a clue how to calibrate this stuff.
We just recently seen projectors capable of tracking a decent Rec 709, and light output to do well with SDR while holding a decent contrast. Liking it is a matter of taste/ preference.. Objectively pretty much nobody is there yet.

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:54 AM »
Have to disagree here, most its done wrong, almost nobody have equipment that will live up to the full specs of HDR WCG, and its then remapped and manipulated to get reproduced, Dont know about any projector capable of producing the needet light output for the current HDR format. Most dont even have a clue how to calibrate this stuff.
We just recently seen projectors capable of tracking a decent Rec 709, and light output to do well with SDR while holding a decent contrast. Liking it is a matter of taste/ preference.. Objectively pretty much nobody is there yet.

well I guess the hundreds who are wowd by it....all have the same matter of taste smh

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
I dont really see much movies on UHD that has the quality to justify re buy them on UHD. Most of them dont take full advantage of HD blu ray resolution, like  The Great Gatsby.. It would not really matter if the source is 720 1080 or UHD.

Mad Max, Pacifik Rim is other what ill call medium resolution movie.

A good way to tell is to shoot some screenshots, without using all kinds of enhancements, a SONY projector wont do, but a JVC should be ok for it. And you will notice that its kind of hard to find frames where its going to show sharp high res content.

Another point is that i think most people look at UHD for sharpness, as they write on some of the movies.. 4 times sharper, i would think it should be more refined, softer more natural details.. But guess that dont sounds as impressive, and there seems to be a general consensus that sharper is what everybody want, i just gets a bit tired of all the woooowww sharpness and enhanced effects, and would really enjoy some true high res material where the goal is reproduction, or generate a trusthworthy image that puts you right where the action is.

Take a look on this UHD promotion for the UHD disc of the Martian.. They were not able to find a frame in the movie to use, so they manipulated the image on the cover.. Makes me sad.

I kept my Oppo BDP 103 Blu Ray player, which has been handy to play the Blu Ray on and compare the 4K UHD BR that's in my Samsung 4K player. What I've found is that a " sharper picture " is not the main improvement ( some of these recent Blu Rays are plenty sharp ). A cleaner picture with much less picture noise, improved picture detail over the Blu ray, and a much more refined color palette is what I notice. Things just look more realistic ( not using HDR ). True, it's not perfect without having full blown 4K calibrating software, but it is a step up. I don't mind re - buying some movies, but mostly I will be buying new movies on 4K UHD BR going forward. Any improvement in the source material is welcome. You can buy better and better projectors until you turn blue in the face, but the source material will always be the limiting factor. That's why I got rid of all my DVD's ( except Team America, World Police, since the Blu Ray isn't the " unrated version " ).

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
I am very interested in hearing how a BR compares to a 4K on a 4K projector.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal