AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Binge Worthy Shows

Binge Worthy Shows
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:56:04 PM »
I find people asking me for recommendations on shows to watch, especially those I like to binge. I recently watched the first season of Watchmen, and His Dark Materials both of which I really enjoyed. They have some serious themes that can be relevant in our current society, while providing an interesting story line that kept me wanting more. When I am looking for something a bit more on the lighter side I like goofy comedies especially mockumentaries like People Just Do Nothing, Norseman and Man Like Mobeen. What are some good shows people on here like to watch?

Re: Binge Worthy Shows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »
I'm about 2 episodes away from finishing 3 seasons of Sneaky Pete on Amazon.  I find it pretty compelling and fun, and impossible to predict how things are going to turn out, which helps maintain the tension.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, also on Amazon, was a real treat.

On Netflix, I thought Atypical was quite well done.

Then there's The Americans which was hard to turn off!

Jack Ryan is another good one.

Will be interested in recommendations from others!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
Schitts Creek (Netflix--give it a few episodes and you'll grow to love the characters)

Derry Girls (Netlix -- Irish comedy that's set in the early 1990s. Put on subtitles if you have a hard time with the accents)

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 11:13:59 PM »
I've pretty much only binge watched Homeland, and the series Band of Brothers and The Pacific. But the few network shows on cable we've watched over the last few years ( Bones, Revolution, Extant, Under The Dome, Salvation ) we have DVR'd multiple weeks worth and then roll through them a bunch of episodes in a row. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm about 2 episodes away from finishing 3 seasons of Sneaky Pete on Amazon.  I find it pretty compelling and fun, and impossible to predict how things are going to turn out, which helps maintain the tension.

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, also on Amazon, was a real treat.

On Netflix, I thought Atypical was quite well done.

Then there's The Americans which was hard to turn off!

Jack Ryan is another good one.

Will be interested in recommendations from others!
I am about to start Sneaky Pete, I like Goivanni Ribisi. I  cant really think of anything I have seen him in I didnt like. Good Omen on Amazon was very entertaining, I also like Carnival Row. I havent checked out Jack Ryan yet, I still just see Jim from the office every time I see it in the listing lol

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »
I am about to start Sneaky Pete, I like Goivanni Ribisi. I  cant really think of anything I have seen him in I didnt like. Good Omen on Amazon was very entertaining, I also like Carnival Row. I havent checked out Jack Ryan yet, I still just see Jim from the office every time I see it in the listing lol
Carnival Row was quite good as well, as well as Good Omens.

Definitely understand your reaction to Jim/Jack Ryan, but he comes across quite credibly here, so could shake off his other persona pretty easily!:)

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »
Schitts Creek (Netflix--give it a few episodes and you'll grow to love the characters)

Derry Girls (Netlix -- Irish comedy that's set in the early 1990s. Put on subtitles if you have a hard time with the accents)

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul
Schitts Creek was a great find, I agree give it a couple episodes and you will feel like your watching a real family completely out of their element. It took me probably three seasons to realize the son is actually Eugene Levys son in real life. I havent seen Derry Girls yet but its on my list, I really like the Uk comedy genre for some reason. Breaking Bad and Better Caul Saul are great too, I havent seen El Camino but thats on the movie list. Brain Cranston tends to bring his A game whatever he is in, I have been a fan of his since Malcolm in the Middle. 

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 11:17:27 AM »
Carnival Row was quite good as well, as well as Good Omens.

Definitely understand your reaction to Jim/Jack Ryan, but he comes across quite credibly here, so could shake off his other persona pretty easily!:)
Ill give it a look at some point, we are currently living in a golden age of content so its hard to see it all :). If the worst problem I encounter in the new year is an abundance of viewing content Ill call it a good year. 

AVSMike

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
Ones I watched and liked.
Carnival Row
Sneaky Pete
Good Omens
Breaking Bad
Jack Ryan
Americans
Outlander
Lost In Space
Zoo
Soundtrack
The Crown
Into the Badlands
There are more, I just can't remember them all.

My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
Into the Badlands was very good, I wish there were going to be more episodes. It ended at a good point in the story where they certainly could have given more but it was also a good spot to stop. AMC has come out with some good shows over the past few years.

A couple more shows I thought that I find binge worthy,
- Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Its hard to say my favorite show but this always gets brought up)
- Peaky Blinders
- Dexter
- Banshee
- Penny Dreadful
- The Wire
- Veep
- Shameless

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
Schitts Creek was a great find, I agree give it a couple episodes and you will feel like your watching a real family completely out of their element. It took me probably three seasons to realize the son is actually Eugene Levys son in real life. I havent seen Derry Girls yet but its on my list, I really like the Uk comedy genre for some reason. Breaking Bad and Better Caul Saul are great too, I havent seen El Camino but thats on the movie list. Brain Cranston tends to bring his A game whatever he is in, I have been a fan of his since Malcolm in the Middle.
Jason, did you know the waitress in Eugene Levy's daughter? It's a total family affair...read the credits and see how many Levy's there are. For us, every episode is LOL funny.

I'll also give a second endorsement for the following shows:

Lost in Space (Netflix)
The Crown (Netflix)
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)
Outlander (Starz - (first 3 seasons streaming on Netflix)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 01:28:42 PM »
Jason, did you know the waitress in Eugene Levy's daughter? It's a total family affair...read the credits and see how many Levy's there are. For us, every episode is LOL funny.

I'll also give a second endorsement for the following shows:

Lost in Space (Netflix)
The Crown (Netflix)
The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)
Outlander (Starz - (first 3 seasons streaming on Netflix)
No I didnt know that about his daughter being the waitress, I will have to pay attention to the credits for once. The show is very funny, I have been a big Eugene Levy fan since I saw Dog Show years ago. His eyebrows kill me, he looks like two caterpillars fell asleep one his forehead. Its interesting to see how so many people in tv and movies are related.  

AVSMike

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
Into the Badlands was very good, I wish there were going to be more episodes. It ended at a good point in the story where they certainly could have given more but it was also a good spot to stop. AMC has come out with some good shows over the past few years.

A couple more shows I thought that I find binge worthy,
- Always Sunny In Philadelphia (Its hard to say my favorite show but this always gets brought up)
- Peaky Blinders
- Dexter
- Banshee
- Penny Dreadful
- The Wire
- Veep
- Shameless
I have seen those also. Liked most of them.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Harro

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
One show that has not been listed is Letterkenny. It is a short 30 min. show with 6 episodes per season and season 8 has just come out. It is on Hulu. Bring the redneck out in everyone.

AVSMike

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
One show that has not been listed is Letterkenny. It is a short 30 min. show with 6 episodes per season and season 8 has just come out. It is on Hulu. Bring the redneck out in everyone.
I have watched most of Letterkenny. Some of the Canadian humor was funny.

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal