AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Binge Worthy Shows

Harro

Re: Binge Worthy Shows
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
Ones I watched and liked.

Zoo

There are more, I just can't remember them all.
This is an old mini series (Our Zoo) that I really had hoped it would continue. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3620824/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Another outstanding show. Ozark Jason Bateman just fits this series.

AVSMike

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »
This is an old mini series (Our Zoo) that I really had hoped it would continue. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3620824/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Another outstanding show. Ozark Jason Bateman just fits this series.
Ozark. Forgot about that one. Really liked that one. Wish they would do another season. :) 
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
Ozark. Forgot about that one. Really liked that one. Wish they would do another season. :)
Ozark was good, I think they have plans to do a couple more seasons but Im not sure when. I know Jason Bateman just did a show with HBO called the Outsider, which I will be checking out once its released. 

Over the past couple years I have become more a fan of animated series, I really like shows like Archer, Venture Brothers, F is for Family, Troll Hunters, 3 Below to name a few. 

claw

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
The German science fiction time travel series Dark on Netflix.   It is almost a requirement to binge in order to keep track of who is who in each timeline.

I found the English language dub to be horrible but I prefer to watch original language with subtitles anyway.   Plus the German language version has Atmos audio while the dubbed version does not.  Two seasons so far.   The end of the second seems to point to a new direction for a possible third.  
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:10 AM »
Surprised nobody has mentioned The Expanse, which is GREAT SF. Based on the book series by James SA Corey (pen name for Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck - currently at 8 with the concluding 9th volume arriving later this year - this is not George RR Martin ???::) ). Ran on Syfy for 3 seasons then canceled but Amazon, which already had streaming rights, snapped it up quickly. Jeff Bezos is a big fan so it's likely this gets a full run of the books. S4 dropped in Dec 19 so there aren't a huge number of episodes to catch up - 46. The first few eps do take a little bit of work figuring out the characters and universe. Very worth the learning curve though and some big "wow" moments.

Second/third/whatever on some other shows - Carnival Row, Homeland, Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul, Penny Dreadful, Dexter (warning - finale is close to GoT in frustratingly bad series endings). Wife & I have been loving Schitts Creek - as mentioned it took a couple of episodes to get the characters but they are hysterical once it clicks.

Billions is another I've really enjoyed. S5 just started but I only finished S4 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic with an incredible setup for S5.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:36:26 AM by Paul Heroy »

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 12:44:52 AM »
Speaking of dubbed foreign productions... Money Heist, but only the first 2 seasons. Really clever and "wheels within wheels" heist plot and interesting characters. The English dubbing of the original Spanish production is quite good. Apparently it was designed as a limited series, which makes total sense given the premise, but it was so successful that Neflix took over for more. Well, S3 IMO just went way over the top with a bunch of stuff off the track of the original that I couldn't stomach (super aggressive character conflict and extremely in your face sexual rants as opposed to very intricately planned events) and I'm told S4 is more of the same. So, watch 2 seasons and enjoy a good story. 

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
Been streaming a lot the last 40 some odd days - 

Picard - wife and I loved it. 

Homeland - Season 8. Great end to a great series. 

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - I enjoyed all three seasons. Great show.

Tales From The Loop - both my wife and I really liked this show. Interesting slow burn sci fi ! 

Jack Ryan - I'm watching it now. Excellent story and great production values like Homeland. 

Going to give Electric Dreams a try. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »
We just finished Season 8 of Homeland (didn't love it as much as Chris did...I found the final 3 episodes frustrating).

Our new show is "The Ranch" on Netflix. Sam Elliott is one of the stars (along with Austin Kutcher and Danny Masterson). I've never been a fan of Kutcher (never watched "That 70's Show") but have always liked Elliott. We are in Season 4 now and really enjoy it. It's more of a "Dramedy" than a comedy, but it has a lot of LOL moments. Only negatives is there are ample drug references (that don't really need to be there) and to say this family has a drinking problem would be an understatement! Regardless, give it a look. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »
Ozark was good, I think they have plans to do a couple more seasons but Im not sure when. I know Jason Bateman just did a show with HBO called the Outsider, which I will be checking out once its released.

Over the past couple years I have become more a fan of animated series, I really like shows like Archer, Venture Brothers, F is for Family, Troll Hunters, 3 Below to name a few.
Jason, you mention animated series. We are still watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is pretty well done. My kids loved it when they were younger and encouraged us to watch it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 03:07:00 PM »
We just finished Season 8 of Homeland (didn't love it as much as Chris did...I found the final 3 episodes frustrating).

I can definitely see that and we did a bit too - like a lot of shows I think they were struggling a bit with how to get where they wanted to go and did a couple of things that seemed contrived and not in character. That said... I'm also a big fan of Kamasi Washington and seeing him get an extended cameo playing live and introducing his entire 9 person ensemble was one of the most amazing music cameos I've ever seen. Someone there really likes Kamasi - they've used his music before.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 07:53:32 AM »

Our new show is "The Ranch" on Netflix. Sam Elliott is one of the stars (along with Austin Kutcher and Danny Masterson). I've never been a fan of Kutcher (never watched "That 70's Show") but have always liked Elliott. We are in Season 4 now and really enjoy it. It's more of a "Dramedy" than a comedy, but it has a lot of LOL moments. Only negatives is there are ample drug references (that don't really need to be there) and to say this family has a drinking problem would be an understatement! Regardless, give it a look.
Agree with you on Homeland. My wife and I loved The Ranch too until a wtf just happened moment that we had to Google. Pretty much downhill from there.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »
Agree with you on Homeland. My wife and I loved The Ranch too until a wtf just happened moment that we had to Google. Pretty much downhill from there.
Oh no...something NOT to look forward to in The Ranch? Hopefully it's in Season 8!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 12:52:14 PM »
Oh no...something NOT to look forward to in The Ranch? Hopefully it's in Season 8!
Unfortunately not...

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 02:18:10 AM »
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:21 AM »
:(
What season are you in? I think season 3 (or Part 5) is when it “jumps the shark”. In writers defense, their hand was forced to some extent.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal