AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

thxman

• 1.21 Jigawatts!
    • ==> The Richter Family 4K/3D Theater
Re: Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
I wouldn't think the video scaler in the Oppo would affect the audio (he should still be able to get the uncompressed immersive stream out the 2nd output).
Kevin (Krichter1 on AVS Forum)

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AVSMike

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »
I wouldn't think the video scaler in the Oppo would affect the audio (he should still be able to get the uncompressed immersive stream out the 2nd output).

Thanks for the answer. Disadvantage here, since I am still waiting for the Oppo and do not have a 4K player to play with.
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

laugsbach

• Die Young as Old as You Can
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »
Update, I received an answer from Oppo:

Larry,
Yes, the player can down-scale to 1080p and be able to output Atmos and DTS:X to your receiver for processing and amplification.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
Update, I received an answer from Oppo:

Larry,
Yes, the player can down-scale to 1080p and be able to output Atmos and DTS:X to your receiver for processing and amplification.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

That is great new... I can also use it in my HT!
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Need help. I am on the waiting list for the new Oppo. In the meantime I bought the Samsung 4k player at Best Buy for 229.00. They have a 15 day return policy which I will return the day before it expires. I done this before while waiting on my earlier Oppo.

My question is my theater is a dedicated room and I play 100% Bluray movies. Is there any benefit to the oppo vs the Samsung? I do not stream anything...I only play bluray discs. Thanks in advance. I might also use it to insert a thumb drive for music once every few months but that is it.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »
Need help. I am on the waiting list for the new Oppo. In the meantime I bought the Samsung 4k player at Best Buy for 229.00. They have a 15 day return policy which I will return the day before it expires. I done this before while waiting on my earlier Oppo.

My question is my theater is a dedicated room and I play 100% Bluray movies. Is there any benefit to the oppo vs the Samsung? I do not stream anything...I only play bluray discs. Thanks in advance. I might also use it to insert a thumb drive for music once every few months but that is it.

Well, all of us on the Oppo 4K player pre-order list do hope that it will have a better build quality, more control over the picture, a better picture, a way better remote. No one can say with certainty until it comes out. But early reviews say yes - you will benefit with an Oppo vs the Samsung. Otherwise we wouldn't be getting one too !
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »

Do you by any chance play SACDs? I ask this because the 103 has the capability of ripping SACDs to your HDD for playback...not sure if the new one will be able to or not, but it is a big plus in my book if it does. Don't ask Oppo though as it is not a feature, but is doable with a USB boot stick.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »

I use the oppo 103 with a darblet to run all video through it to the projector and use the video processor to lightly tweak picture settings depending on source. I don't think the Samsung has a hdmi input for other video sources and if so if the on board processor is as good as the oppo's.  It's not day and night improvements but does help on some hdtv program and occasionally on a bluray.  I assume correctly or incorrectly the 203 will allow the same and hopefully if darbee does release a 4K version that I would add that to the video chain since it's improvement is far more noticeable than the minor tweaks I do in the oppo video processor.

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »
Slightly disappointed there's no Dolby Vision support (I think) but this will still be THE player to get. I'm just now hoping to jump into the 4k game but I've already been buying 4k blu-rays to future proof myself so I've already got plenty of media to throw at this thing.
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
Slightly disappointed there's no Dolby Vision support (I think) but this will still be THE player to get. I'm just now hoping to jump into the 4k game but I've already been buying 4k blu-rays to future proof myself so I've already got plenty of media to throw at this thing.

What 4K Blu Rays even have DV ? I thought none at this time.

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »
What 4K Blu Rays even have DV ? I thought none at this time.

None yet but supposedly there will be next year. I am hopeful DV will catch on as I really like what I've read about it.
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »

Sounds like there is a good chance the hardware necessary for DV is build into this player, so hopefully a firmware update sometime next year after Dolby certification will enable DV. 

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »
After visiting DV home page, i hope that it will never be implemented in anything, if the examples are anywhere near realistic to what DV do to the image.. Maybe its time to hope for a UHD Rec709 SDR 10bit format, so we have a chance of getting some high quality content.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-vision.html

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
After visiting DV home page, i hope that it will never be implemented in anything, if the examples are anywhere near realistic to what DV do to the image.. Maybe its time to hope for a UHD Rec709 SDR 10bit format, so we have a chance of getting some high quality content.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/home/dolby-vision.html

Just use an HD Fury Integral. That way you can get better resolution and the wide color gamut, and leave it at that ! That's what I do. Looks outstanding.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:08:05 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
Just use an HD Fury Integral. That way you can get better resolution and the wide color gamut, and leave it at that ! That's what I do. Looks outstanding.

So what gamma and max light output do you calibrate that to. UHD movies output in SDR still dont compare to HD SDR.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal