diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
« Reply #331 on: May 11, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
OK folks, it's time for me to start asking dumb questions and making ignorant comments. I've read just a tiny fraction of the zillions of posts that require a degree in color management and physics.

I have my new RS520 (thanks to AVS for the great end of model sale!) and Oppo 203 setup and running. I've confirmed that the 40' cable is carrying HDR 4k just fine. The Oppo 203 pulled the latest FW as soon as I booted it up, so I assume that is ok.

I'm just starting to compare and try to understand the HDR vs. SDR BT.2020 mapping stuff. I have not begun to dork around with "custom curves" etc because I barely understand anything being done there. I am using baseline settings gratefully supplied by Mike@AVS.

The first UHD movie I watched was Mad Max Fury Road. The flares and explosions prove to be great testing scenes. In particular I am using the scene at ~55min where the motorcycle gang is chasing the war rig. They shoot a flare at a motorcycle chaser and he drops a bomb under the rig causing the fuel pod to detach and explode. A real pressure test on the mapping.

Starting values-
PJ in SDR:
Natural
Black to Low
BT2020
Custom gamma 2.4
Iris is Auto1
CMD options all off

Oppo:
SDR BT2020
300 nits
mode 2

With all settings equalized I notice that on SDR BT.2020 mapping from the Oppo the oranges and reds oversaturate and look fake, while on pure HDR mode it is MUCH smoother and natural. Given, the lamp is running on HIGH, blah blah. Overall the movie looks more red pushed in SDR mapped mode. Plays tricks on me to where I don't know what is "right" when watching. This is a light controlled room, no velvet walls, grey ceiling & back wall, on Screen Acoustics V6 screen material and ~12ft throw.

So, where is the easiest place to start? Like most posters, I'd rather not run the lamp in high for UHD material but UGH those colors were majorly distracting when watching the movie. I feel like a Cessna pilot shoved into a 777 cockpit. Too many knobs and sliders to know where to begin....

AVSMike

Re: Oppo UDP-203 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »
Oppo should be on:
HDR off BT2020 (HDR is not turned off. Only HDR flag is turned off)
300 nits
Mode 2
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal