AVS Discussions
  Go Down

SONY G90

SONY G90
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »
I have a SONY G90 ill try dig out and fire up.
The G90 might be the best CRT projector standard from factory, but its typical Sony, so its overly complex build.. Lots of features build in that we wont need that is limiting bandwidth and image quality, very much like they still build digital projectors.

It might be possible to replace the SONY videochain with a specially build videochain based on the Marquee Neckboards, and a add on board, time will show.

So this thread should be for all G90 related CRT talk..

Re: SONY G90
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Sounds interesting but I'm not holding my breath ;)  Gabor is still tweaking the Marquee mods and I'd think the G90 would be like going down a rabbit hole.  I won't be surprised to see you guys get something up and running but smoothing out the quirks is what will likely eat up a lot of time.  Just make sure that you get rid of that streaking issue.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »
Well first i need to get a screen up and the projector running.. I had my brother helping me getting it upstairs, and that pretty much killed us both, so there is no way ill be asking him to help me getting it back down again, ill need to make it work where it is.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
It sure would be nice to get a positive synergy effect between the simplicity in a Marquee and more complicated "plug an play" G90.

Not sure if a marqueeG90 merge will make a difference in picture quality.

The only thing i do not like about the G90 is when the Dallas chip internal battery need replaising or if something hard to replace component go bad on the YA board.

The 110 kg G90 is not easy do move around that is correct, but with the 8 handles and some transport and lifting tools it is quite easy compared to a piano.....

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
It sure would be nice to get a positive synergy effect between the simplicity in a Marquee and more complicated "plug an play" G90.

Not sure if a marqueeG90 merge will make a difference in picture quality.

The only thing i do not like about the G90 is when the Dallas chip internal battery need replaising or if something hard to replace component go bad on the YA board.

The 110 kg G90 is not easy do move around that is correct, but with the 8 handles and some transport and lifting tools it is quite easy compared to a piano.....

The Dallas ship is changed in Your G90 :)

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
What kind of light output do you guys get out of the G90.?

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
The Dallas ship is changed in Your G90 :)
Hi Diddern, yes PJ told me some of the history of my G90 so hopefully that chip will keep the settings for 5-10 more years.  :)

I was thinking more of the Marquee design with a more flexible litium powered battery for the setup memory, so when the voltage get to low, the user just have to solder on a new power cell with the same voltage and the projector do not loose more settings than the current setup.

I like that solution a little bit better than if the internal power in the dallas ship go bad, there is a risk of spot burning and toasting the tubes and the memory of the chip have more of the "low level" factory logs and settings so the G90 will loose a lot more information than the current installation setup.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:36:41 PM by ask4me2 »

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
Can easy do 14-16Fl in 106 inch

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
Hi Diddern, yes PJ told me some of the history of my G90 so hopefully that chip will keep the settings for 5-10 more years.  :)

I was thinking more of the Marquee design with a more flexible litium powered battery for the setup memory, so when the voltage get to low, the user just have to solder on a new power cell with the same voltage and the projector do not loose more settings than the current setup.

I like that solution a little bit better than if the internal power in the dallas ship go bad, there is a risk of spot burning and toasting the tubes and the memory of the chip have more of the "low level" factory logs and settings so the G90 will loose a lot more information than the current installation setup.

The G90 U have is a great CRT. And by far the best CRT I have seen in real life. :) 
Adjusted by professionals that know CRT.

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:36:01 AM »
Can easy do 14-16Fl in 106 inch
Neutral gain screen.?

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 04:56:36 PM »
Neutral gain screen.?
Yes 1.0-1.1(don't remember the exact screen value, can measure different) gain white. But ended some lower than 14-16Fl.  To save the tubes, and for best performance. I guess around 10-11FL.
Then Ask4me2 picked it up. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:02:56 PM by Diddern »

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:57 PM »

At the moment the G90 setup have approx. 11 fL on a  90" 1.1 gain 16:9 screen using the maximum "16:9" area on the tubes. I like to have the contrast at moderate levels on CRT projectors to get the best picture without pushing the tubes, and to enjoy the "dark side" of the CRT technology... To start with i calibrated the G90 with 16fL to, but i think the green tube is running a little hard in the G90 so i turned the contrast down.   If i want higher light output i use a JVC "lamp valve" with A-lens in another home cinema setup  :)

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:04:59 PM »
At the moment the G90 setup have approx. 11 fL on a  90" 1.1 gain 16:9 screen using the maximum "16:9" area on the tubes. I like to have the contrast at moderate levels on CRT projectors to get the best picture without pushing the tubes, and to enjoy the "dark side" of the CRT technology... To start with i calibrated the G90 with 16fL to, but i think the green tube is running a little hard in the G90 so i turned the contrast down.   If i want higher light output i use a JVC "lamp valve" with A-lens in another home cinema setup  :)

The G90 is a light canon and if run as such a tube toaster.. So guess its wise to turn it down, at 11fl on a 90" it should last quite a while.. I seen a Marquee with lug tubes run at candle power for around 1000 hours, and show slight hint of wear on green, and marquee with LCP tubes with 3500 hours with no hint at all.. So i wonder if the fine grained phosfor in the hi res tubes are the main sinner, i would love to see how a G90 with LCP tubes and some better lenses would look like.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
The G90 U have is a great CRT. And by far the best CRT I have seen in real life. :) 
Adjusted by professionals that know CRT.

Yes this G90 is nice, and the setup i got to see when i picked it up as PJ was spot on.  :)

The picture resolution and sharpness color, cold to warm convergence and picture geometry looked 100%, and i was thinking of all that work that had been done and was reset when the projector was lifted and moved away from where it was installed.... 

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »

Cool to have 2 cinema`s in your home.  I know what you have :) Also agree enjoy the "dark side" correct adjusted, one of the coolest features on a CRT .
And you will measure almost every CRT to infinite contrast.  That's because tubes shut more or less off.
And the max "used/available" contrast around 16000-60000:1 depend on type CRT, adjustments and specifications.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal