AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Speakers we have owned to get us to the speakers we currently own.

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
I am sure a lot of us have went through a lot of speakers over the years on our journey to our perfect setup...what speakers have you owned on your journey?

I started out with some DIY speakers I made out of particle board in High School. Once I got into the USAF I started with a pair of BIC Venturi Formula 4s, then I moved to a pair of Altec Lansing model 9s, followed by a pair of Cerwin Vega HED speakers.

When I went to England I pickedup a pair of Cerwin Vega S1, and then sold them right before returning to the USA, and picked up a pair of Klipsch La Scalas.

When I got out of the AF I didn't have the space and downgraded to a pair of Boston Acoustics 60 which I had for several years as my primary speakers. When I got into watching movies I moved on to 5 Celestion SL3 speakers. Then one day I heard the Martin Logan Sequel 2, and had to own them...I purchased the demo models for my birthday that year, and I had the Sequels for several years before I decided to part with them. Next I picked up a 5 channel setup of Paradigm Studio 100s, with matching center and surrounds...as luck would have it the Studio 100s were destroyed by UPS, and the shipper refunded the money on them, and took UPS to court. I then came across a pair of BNIB (old stock)Paradigm Studio 80s that I used for several years until I came across my old favorites again...the Klipsch La Scalas. This was a short time ownership as with in months I had purchased a set of 3 JBL 2360A horns with EV DH1A drivers, and made a set of 3 Q Pie bass bins, and that is where I am today. Next on my journey is going to be a set of DIY Danley Synergy 2 way horns.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

AVSMike

Re: Speakers we have owned to get us to the speakers we currently own.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »
I can't remember everything I have had, but here is most of it. First speakers were a 2-way kit, using a 6" driver and a small horn loaded tweeter. I built the enclosure. I also had some radio Shack 2-way speakers. Next for a short while I had some 3-way speakers from Kenwood. Then moved onto a pair of Yamaha NS690 II's. The Yamaha's were actually pretty nice speakers, sound wise. Refoamed them a few years ago and just recently sold them, after determining my kids were never going to be interested in them. I had them in storage for years. Had several pairs of RBH speakers: SI-760's, 661SE and WM30's. Also owned Klipsch RB35's. Then built a set of speakers. A 2-way using the TD12M mid and DNA-360 with 12" SEOS wave guide. Had those paired with JBL Pro 8340 (not plastic box 8340a) surrounds. From there I moved to a baffle wall system for my front three speakers, using a 3-way active DIY design. These speakers use two TD12M, One Beyma TPL-150H and a TD18H+ with a MiniDSP10x10HD for crossover duty. Still using the JBL Pro 8340 for surround and Atmos. I have also built and owned many subs along the way. Currently using two 18" SI18's baffle wall mounted in 4CF sealed boxes. Also have an 18" Mal-X in 4CF sealed box and an 18" RE-XXX in 8CF sealed box. Info on my current system is here: http://discuss.avscience.com/?topic=124.msg902#msg902
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:56:44 AM by AVSMike »
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

NBPk402

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:56:40 PM »
I think a lot of people would be surprised as to how good of a set of speakers they can actually afford...when they go DIY...just takes your time, but the rewards of knowing you made it are worth it!
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
HTIB Kenwoods!!!  Moved on to some lower level Polks, but can't even remember actual series.  Similar to Monitor70, I believe.  Then some RTi6 bookshelves, before finally to the RTiA9 towers, CSiA6, and FXi bipole surrounds that I now have.  I'm in the planning stages of my first dedicated home theater, and will be upgrading to Atmos.  I've picked up Polk's 65RT in-walls for the height channels in the ceiling slope near the top, as well as probably swapping out the large FXi surrounds because of limited side space.  I'll probably relocate those to rear surrounds (or use the RTi6s).  I've been a loyal Polk guy for years now, and I've really enjoyed my system.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »
I had some old Sony's and then my current Paradigm Monitor setup... so not a lot for me. The Sony's lasted me nearly a decade (I still have them actually). I'd really love to upgrade to the Paradigm Studios or Prestige series though.
Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138" Elite 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18 Monster Power HTS-5100, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments

AVSMike

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
HTIB Kenwoods!!!  Moved on to some lower level Polks, but can't even remember actual series.  Similar to Monitor70, I believe.  Then some RTi6 bookshelves, before finally to the RTiA9 towers, CSiA6, and FXi bipole surrounds that I now have.  I'm in the planning stages of my first dedicated home theater, and will be upgrading to Atmos.  I've picked up Polk's 65RT in-walls for the height channels in the ceiling slope near the top, as well as probably swapping out the large FXi surrounds because of limited side space.  I'll probably relocate those to rear surrounds (or use the RTi6s).  I've been a loyal Polk guy for years now, and I've really enjoyed my system.

That reminds me, I did have some Polk speakers back in the 80's. Also had a NHT powered sub. I think the NHT powered sub was the first powered sub available. I still actually use the sub, though I replaced the driver and amp with more powerful units. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
Started off with a bang...

Klipsch RF-3ii (had these for about 12 years)
PSB B6
PSB imagine B
PSA MT110's
DIY elusive 1099's (current speakers...and dont see ever getting rid of them)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
Well as im from Denmark it might make sense that i had a few Dali speakers, im arguing with myself if i should go pick up a set of Dali Megaline in Germany.. Pretty mych the only Dali speaker i miss to try out.

I started with a pair of Dali 850,
Dali Grand
Grand cupe
Grand Diva
Evidence 470
Helicon 400
Helicon 800
Euphonis MS4
Euphonia MS5
Skyline 2000
Concept 8
Epicon 6
Epicon 8
Rubicon 2

Remember a few different B&W 2 way speakers, just not what models.. Then comes all the rear center and subs.

All i found was that i like the old Dali Grand Diva, and Grand Cupe the best, wich puts me right up for the Megaline who came out right before the grand series, only problem is the Megaline speakers takes 2 stereo amps, have 1 of the amps build for the Megaline, but will need a 2nd one. The Dali Gravity amp.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:43:49 PM by stridsvognen »

claw

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
First speakers in college were a pair of Harman Kardon book shelves.

When i got a job in the mid-seventies, replaced them with Infinity towers; don't recall the model but they were their first with the Walsh ice cream cone shaped tweeters.

After traveling the US for work for about 10 years I replaced the Infinity with Kef towers. Can't recall the model either but loved the sound.  They were stolen from my home during a ten year period when I was traveling internationally for work.

Replaced them in 2003 with B&W CDM 1NT left/right,  CDM CNT center, 4 DS6 surrounds and a Velodyne 12 inch sub.   Still using them today.   Except I just replaced the DS6 dipoles that were hung high on the side walls with 4 685 bookshelves at ear level.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:15:40 PM by cjake »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »
Let's see:
JBLs I picked up at a local brick and mortar store; can't say I remember the model
1997: Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RB-7 in a 5.1 system
2010: DefTech Mythos ST, CS-8080 center, and Gem XLs (also 5.1)
2011: swapped out my cheap Klipsch 8" sub and went ID with a pair of HSU ULS-15s
2015: PSB Imagine T2, Imagine C, and Imagine S ("dual mono" mode), with Imagine X2T added as sides when I got the Trinnov Altitude

Then we moved from a condo with a multi-purpose living room into a place where I can do a dedicated HT room. So...
2016: added a pair of Imagine T for wides and another for side surrounds, as well as Imagine XAs for Dolby modules, for a 9.2.4 system

My next step is probably going to be adding another couple of ULS-15s or swapping them out for four "1/2 Submersive" Seaton modules, depending where I want to put the money vs. video.

2017: getting a pair of Imagine Bs if I want to have a second set of side surrounds in Trinnovland, possibly replacing the Imagine XAs with Imagine XBs for front/rear heights with some add'l room construction or if I can swing the physical side, one of the PSB in-ceiling type speakers.

I suppose the only other direction I might go would be active speakers (Paradigms), but in a 20x15 room and budget-wise there's only so far I can go at this point. Maybe swapping out the PSB mains if there's some major advance I just have to have. The T3s aren't worth the $$$$ in my room's configuration, to be honest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:45:23 PM by sdrucker »
Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 16/24, NAD M27 and Wyred4Sound MMC-7 amps
Display: Panasonic VT50, Lumagen Radiance Mini. Misc.: Oppo 103, Samsung K8500 UHD player
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2, Center, Imagine T Wides and Side Surrounds, Imagine S rear surrounds,
PSB Imagine XA (4), HSU ULS-15 subs (2) - 9.2.4
Coming soon - JVC RS600, AT screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro

NBPk402

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
I can only dream of owning a Trinnov Altitude... I bet that sounds awesome!

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
I know I have said this before...but I REALLY cant see me ever moving on from the DIY 1099's they just put a smile on my face nightly...and I have had them for about 7 months now...

the ONLY way i would move on is if i got the itch to build more speakers...but i doubt that would happen on a whim anyhow...just not worth it when I have such a great sounding system

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

NBPk402

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
I know I have said this before...but I REALLY cant see me ever moving on from the DIY 1099's they just put a smile on my face nightly...and I have had them for about 7 months now...

the ONLY way i would move on is if i got the itch to build more speakers...but i doubt that would happen on a whim anyhow...just not worth it when I have such a great sounding system
Hopefully my Synergy horns will sound as good as i think they will...if so they should be my last speakers too.

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »

Have you posted REW measurements of your current setup?

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »
this is the right speaker + subs only...this was to show the dropoff from the vlevet masking panels:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/bcfineberg/6FC4D094-1C20-43EB-8314-5551E9267FE6_zpswmyqoudp.jpg
Speakers we have owned to get us to the speakers we currently own.

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up