AVS Discussions
  Go Down

SVS Cylinder Subs

AVSCraig

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
Get!  Times two.  :D

If my wife notices that the cylinder subs are suddenly taller, I guess I can always say " I rubbed some Viagra on them ".  ::)

AVSCraig

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
I had a chance to touch the PC 4000 in person at CES. If only they had it hooked to a receiver playing Fury so it could smack me upside the head !!  ???





They did have the SB 4000 - nice sub !


TRainH2O

  • *****
  • 898
  • Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
I ran an SVS 20-39 CS+ powered by a Carver amp for a very L-O-N-G time. I sold it because I wanted a bit more flexibility in positioning it in my room. 

As far as performance, it was a great sub.

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »
I still have my PC-Ultra from 2004 in my room and it works great. I reviewed the PC-4000 when it was released and it's an outstanding upgrade, but the CFO (my wife) wouldn't let me keep it :(

I recently reviewed the new SB-3000 (forthcoming issue) and it's arguably the best bang for your buck subwoofer you'll ever hear in such a small package. It hits down to 18Hz and its mid-bass performance is where it truly shines. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

  • *****
  • 898
  • Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »
I still have my PC-Ultra from 2004 in my room and it works great. I reviewed the PC-4000 when it was released and it's an outstanding upgrade, but the CFO (my wife) wouldn't let me keep it :(
HA, I find that hard to believe. You did manage to paint your room black, after all. 

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
HA, I find that hard to believe. You did manage to paint your room black, after all.
We still have one kid in college, but he should graduate next year (a year early :D). He only has to take two summer courses to get everything in line...thank God for AP classes!

Once he's done, disposable income will take a $30k per year leap. Granted, I want to get the house paid off in the next five years too, so I'm not sure how much extra $$$ I'll have laying around!
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

TRainH2O

  • *****
  • 898
  • Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »

Once he's done, disposable income will take a $30k per year leap.
30K a year will buy a lot of beer , I mean AV gear.

flyinion

  • ****
  • 57
  • cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 07:41:28 PM »
I still have my PC-Ultra from 2004 in my room and it works great. I reviewed the PC-4000 when it was released and it's an outstanding upgrade, but the CFO (my wife) wouldn't let me keep it :(

I recently reviewed the new SB-3000 (forthcoming issue) and it's arguably the best bang for your buck subwoofer you'll ever hear in such a small package. It hits down to 18Hz and its mid-bass performance is where it truly shines.

What's your thoughts on SB-3000 vs the smaller but ported PB-2000?  Mostly for home theater use.
LG 65" CX OLED | Denon AVR-X4500H | Panasonic UB820 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | 2021 Apple TV 4K | Xfinity X1 DVR

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
What's your thoughts on SB-3000 vs the smaller but ported PB-2000?  Mostly for home theater use.
I'd go with the SB-3000 personally (or the PB-3000, if you want to dig a Hz or two lower). It's worth the extra $$$. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

  • *****
  • 1147
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:58 PM »
I'd go with the SB-3000 personally (or the PB-3000, if you want to dig a Hz or two lower). It's worth the extra $$$.
David, several years ago you recommended to me the SB 13 ultras. Should I be thinking of an upgrade?
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000P1K; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
David, several years ago you recommended to me the SB 13 ultras. Should I be thinking of an upgrade?
Barry, no, you're fine with the SB-13 Ultras :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
David, several years ago you recommended to me the SB 13 ultras. Should I be thinking of an upgrade?
Just do what I did - add two more subs ! Even my wife doesn't know I added two more - " stealth bass " ! ::)

TRainH2O

  • *****
  • 898
  • Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
David, several years ago you recommended to me the SB 13 ultras. Should I be thinking of an upgrade?
In my opinion, there's not much of an upgrade path unless you need the advanced DSP of the 16 Ultra series. I suspect that you don't.

In most cases, a little room tweaking or repositioning of the subs makes a bigger difference than an actual sub upgrade. Adding additional sub can be helpful of your room response is uneven.

flyinion

  • ****
  • 57
  • cpaluda from HTE
    • Flyinion Films
Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 04:13:10 AM »
I'd go with the SB-3000 personally (or the PB-3000, if you want to dig a Hz or two lower). It's worth the extra $$$.

Woops I totally forgot I replied in here.  Hmm, mostly I was asking from the perspective of I own a PB-2000 and wondering if a SB-3000 would be a good upgrade or if I lose too much going sealed and would want to do the PB version instead.
LG 65" CX OLED | Denon AVR-X4500H | Panasonic UB820 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | 2021 Apple TV 4K | Xfinity X1 DVR

Re: SVS Cylinder Subs
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
Sealed you give up a bit of output. The driver on the 3000 series is a marvel though...they did a great job on it and it packs quite a punch. If you watch mostly movies, then get the ported sub (and if you don't have WAF issues). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal