AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Music listening in your theater

HomeTheaterGuy

  • *****
  • 144
  • Your friendly neighborhood admin
    • AV Science
Music listening in your theater
« on: May 19, 2026, 09:16:27 AM »
Do you listen to music in your theater? What surround mode do you use? I use plain old stereo mode myself.

Re: Music listening in your theater
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2026, 12:11:56 PM »
Do you listen to music in your theater? What surround mode do you use? I use plain old stereo mode myself.
Very rarely...if I do, it's mostly concert videos on Blu-ray and occasionally a DVD (that isn't available on Blu-ray). 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Former writer for Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

  • *****
  • 3221
Re: Music listening in your theater
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2026, 02:01:14 PM »
on occasion i do.  I use bluOS in my NAD AVR.  and just use stereo
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Re: Music listening in your theater
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2026, 03:04:46 PM »
I like to use "All Chan. stereo."

SRW1000

  • *****
  • 1569
    • Watch Youthman's tour of my home theater
Re: Music listening in your theater
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2026, 05:20:33 PM »
I will listen to music, but not often.

If I'm listening by myself, it's just in stereo.  The imaging is perfect for anyone sitting in the sweet spot.  

If others are present, I'll switch to Auro's upmixer.  It still preserves the center image for everyone while also adding some ambiance.  
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Barry

  • *****
  • 1147
Re: Music listening in your theater
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2026, 10:12:53 PM »
I often listen to music on my system. In fact, the room was set up to be my music room before they invented DVDs. The Esoteric Disc Play sounds great when it plays a CD, but it’s really outstanding when it plays an SACD. SACD’s produce the best sound of music I have experienced.

It has a DAC That my 15 year-old Sonos feeds into. On that we often listen to XM radio, and other apps such as Pandora.

Next is a little bit of sadness. I have an Aurender Streamer which I use to get FM stations from around the world. Sadly, where I live, they no longer have music stations that I had always loved. So I use the Airender and I get FM stations from around the country and around the world that played the music that I like.

The sad part is several decades ago. I saved up and got a great FM tuner, a Day Sequrra. and I put up an antenna on the roof.  well, I just don’t use it anymore. It just lies there.

I also have from 40 years ago my record player, but I seldom use it. well, I almost never use it now.

finally, there are some great recordings of concerts and such that are on a Blu-ray and 4K that have wonderful sound to them. but here you listen and you watch. For most things, I listen and stereo, however, many of the Blu-rays I listen to and how they present it, which is usually five channels

« Last Edit: May 19, 2026, 10:14:38 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000P1K; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

  Go Up
 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal