Studio: Paramount Pictures Corporation
Release Date: 3/31/2026
Rating: PG
Film Grade: B
The Story: SpongeBob has hit a milestone; he’s finally reached a height of 36 clams tall. That means he’s no longer considered a little guy, and advance to “Big Guy” status, and he can now hit all of the amusement park that had formally been forbidden. Unimpressed, his boss, Mr. Krabs, tells him he needs to get a Swashbuckling Certificate in order to qualify as an actual Big Guy. Unfortunately, Mr. Krabs’s certificate inadvertently gets sucked down a ventilation shaft, leading to a thrilling adventure as they seek to retrieve it.
My Take: I admit I’m not a SpongeBob fan, but I don’t mind watching his movies, and this one is not bad in any way. But for a better representation of the movie, I’ve turned this review over to a special guest reviewer, my wife. She’s a long-time fan and willingly volunteered to give us her thoughts about this latest outing, and I’ll pick it back up for the visuals and audio sections. With no further ado. . .
Mrs. SRW1000’s Take:I will admit my love of SpongeBob SquarePants is probably not typical for someone my age. I had come across the cartoon in its first season in 1999 (which I always thought was its best) and was instantly smitten with its charm and humor. My husband and I were frequent flyers at Toys“R”Us at the time, where we hunted for collectibles and video games. I was looking for anything SpongeBob and couldn’t find a single thing. That was to change in the coming years, but at the time, SpongeBob was nowhere near the household name it is today.
That being said, the movie is a surprise in that it harkens back to the early seasons of SpongeBob, where his innocence and naivety are not forced or superficial like some of the later episodes. It’s difficult for writers to produce a script that would be as charming and genuinely funny as the originals, and it may be unfair to expect a movie to be at that level because SpongeBob has been around, and marketed heavily, for at least two-plus decades.
The movie revolves around fan-favorite character The Flying Dutchman and his ghostly curse. He is voiced by Brian Doyle-Murray on the TV show, but Mark Hamill replaces him here. I feel this was a mistake as Doyle-Murray’s voice is key to the character. Hamill does a fair job, but Doyle-Murray’s voice is iconic to any regular viewer and Hamill’s voice becomes a distraction from what’s expected. Doyle-Murray’s established this character and his nuances in speaking are classic. “But sometimes I like to wear a sock on my ghostly tail…” Children will not care, as they probably won’t discern the difference in tones, but adult fans will notice. The Dutchman looks the same as the TV show, and the green ghostly color is spot-on and very recognizable. I was also happy to hear the rest of the cast voices are the same as the TV show.
There is one new character introduced, Barb, who is the Dutchman’s first mate. She plants a key idea in the Dutchman’s head and his plans, leading to some tough decisions for SpongeBob. Her character isn’t fully fleshed out as to why she is important to the Dutchman, and like most second-in-command TV or movie characters, the audience is made to believe she’s the one actually running the ship. The Dutchman doesn’t need this help; he’s always been in control and does his own scheming where SpongeBob and Patrick are concerned.
Of course, Squidward and Mr. Krabs are along for the ride, and are mostly true to their TV selves. I feel they missed an opportunity with Mr. Krabs in the plot as to his interest in searching for SpongeBob. Fans know how miserly Mr. Krabs is, but this wasn’t mentioned once as to a reason why he’s searching for SpongeBob. SpongeBob is the best fry cook and loyal employee he’s ever had, and will ever have. Yet Mr. Krabs is going on his search because he feels guilty for filling SpongeBob’s head full of swashbuckling tales and feats of strength. For a superficial and money-hungry crab, it’s out of character for him to do anything that doesn’t involve financial gain. He would go after SpongeBob because of lost profits but not guilt.
Poor Squidward is dragged along against his will and has several one-liners that are good. His comedic relief is standard and comfortable, and we expect it. Squidward has always seemed to me for the adult viewers, and children may not always get his jokes and sarcastic side remarks. Just like the TV show, there are veiled lines that older viewers will get, but younger ones will just gloss over.
Visually, the movie’s look is more in-line with the “flatter” animation of the TV show. One of the charms of the first few seasons is that a lower budget made for a more simplistic style that somehow endeared me to life in Bikini Bottom. As SpongeBob evolved, and made more money, the visuals were enhanced. I’ve always felt that somehow animation loses its soul a bit when this happens, and almost all animated shows suffer from it. Especially when they move on to movies. The Simpsons are a classic example of this. The shorts from The Tracy Ullman Show are hilarious not just because of the writing, but also because of the animation. However, The Search for SquarePants seems to fall back to the style of TV, but on a bigger budget. It’s refined for movie audiences, but you’ll see classic-style scene nods straight from the show. I had a few laugh out loud moments, and it had a nostalgic feeling for me to the show’s younger days. I was delighted to hear the Hawaiian music from the TV show; steel guitars and ukuleles are forever paired with SpongeBob now.
Visuals: As expected, the movie features bright and bold colors that pop right off of the screen. Scenes in Bikini Bottom are saturated with vibrant primary hues, with the tone shifting to much darker greens, blues, purples, and reds along with deep inky blacks as they make their way through the Underworld.
While the animation is CGI, they’ve done a wonderful job of blending it with the 2D animation style of the TV show, giving it both a fresh and nostalgic look. Enhancements include extra textures to things like hair, fur, feathers, glare off of floor tiles, and clothing. This is combined with good gradient shading that enhances depth. It’s a great approach that gives the audience slick, modern graphics without losing the feel or charm fans are used to.
The movie will occasionally insert blended live action segments, many of which are shot against a green screen. This is handled cheekily, in line with its TV origins. For these scenes, flesh tones are natural, accurate, and highly detailed. They pop with as much color as the animated parts do. This is a visual treat for fans and non-fans alike.
Audio: The Atmos mix passes my bird test almost immediately, with seagulls heard from the top speakers. There’re also some voices that echo from up there, a trend I’m noticing more frequently these days. One has to wonder if this is intentional or a result of a mix setting. Since they vary from scene to scene, I’ll chalk it up to purposeful in this case. Dialog is crisp and clear throughout. While the movie has great moments of dramatic sound effects adding to the audience’s engagement, there could have been greater use of the extra channels to further environmental immersion.
The musical score is rich with jaunty nautically themed tunes combined with the Hawaiian influences the show is known for, adding to the overall fun. There are a few pop songs from singers I’m not aware of but might be appreciated by kids.
Special Features: - The SpongeBob Ensemble: The Veteran Voices: Returning cast in the voiceover booths.
- The SpongeBob Ensemble: The New Crew: New cast members in the voiceover booths.
- The Flying Dutchman: Animated Artistry + Live Acting: The cast and crew on creating the Flying Dutchman.
- From Bikini Bottom to the Underworld: The production designers on animating the Underworld.
- "Big Guy" by Ice Spice: Ice Spice music video
Final Verdict: This latest entry in the SpongeBob lineup was mildly amusing for me, and never a chore to sit through. That said, some of the joke hung out there a little too long for me, leaving me waiting for the next bit to start.
But we’ll leave the final word to Mrs. SRW1000, since she’s the fan in our household:
I give this movie a B, both children and adult fans will like it. The plot is predictable because it is SpongeBob, however the content of the movie is enjoyable and comforting.Fun Quote: “I’m here to do two things, kick butt and blow bubbles. Looks like I’m all out of butt.”