Footloose: 40th Anniversary Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review

Footloose: 40th Anniversary Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 06, 2024, 06:29:27 PM »

Studio:  Paramount
Release Date: February 13, 2023
 Rating: R
 Film:  3.5/5

Plot
 City boy Ren (Kevein Bacon) moves to the small Midwestern town of Beaumont and quickly learns that dancing and popular rock music has been banned. He befriends Ariel Moore (Lori Singer), the daughter of the popular preacher who's leading the charge for the "no fun zone," and a line is drawn in the sand between hometown values and teenage fun.

My Thoughts
 Footloose is one of those 80's films that stir-up a lot of memories for people in my age demographic. Back in 1984 it was wildly popular due to the hip music, fun dancing, and anti-establishment message. There wasn't a guy I knew who didn't want to be like Ren, but I'm positive I wouldn't approve of my teenage daughter dating a guy like him today!

I reviewed this on Blu-ray years ago and found the transfer to be one of the worst the format had to offer. The image was flat and lifeless throughout the film and noise reduction (DNR) was turned up to 11 when they were doing the transfer. Thankfully, this UHD transfer looks a bit better, but still is pretty mediocre when compared to other films from the same era. The image doesn’t have much depth to it and while the detail in clothing is decent, facial pores are pretty non-existent and everyone’s faces look like they belong is Madame Tussauds wax museum.

The original Blu-ray had a DTS-MA 6.1 track while the 4K only has a 5.1—although with Neural:X processing turned on, every speaker in the room is put to use. The track isn’t very dynamic, probably due to the time period, but the songs sound decent enough and the dialog is intelligible. There are a few scenes where the soundtrack sounds a bit strained (the chicken scene), but overall, it’s a decent experience.

Video 7/10
 Audio 8/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Two Audio Commentaries
  • Let’s Dance! Kevin Bacon on Footloose
  • From Bomont to the Big Apple: An Interview with Sarah Jessica Parker
  • Remembering Willard
  • Kevin Bacon’s Screen Test
  • Kevin Bacon Costume Montage
  • Footloose: A Modern Musical – Part 1
  • Footloose: A Modern Musical – Part 2
  • Footloose: Songs That Tell a Story
  • Footloose Theatrical Trailer

Conclusion
 Even after 40 years, this film still makes me tap my toes. As a teenager we could all relate to the rebellious behavior of Kevin Bacon, but as an adult I have to say that the kid could use some good ole ’fashioned discipline. Regardless, there’s no harm in dancing and to think that leads teenagers to sex and drugs is misinformed. If anything, it gives them a positive outlet for their energy. I wish the transfer was a bit more refined, but given the age of the film, I’m not surprised by how it looks. Recommended for fans.   

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
 Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
 ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
 System Controller: URC MX-990
 M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
 M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 Dual Rythmik FV15HP2
 Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Footloose: 40th Anniversary Edition (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 07:39:23 AM »
Shockingly I’ve never seen this. I own it and never watched it. I’ll que it up. Thanks for reminding me lol
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 10:48:06 AM »
Shockingly I’ve never seen this. I own it and never watched it. I’ll que it up. Thanks for reminding me lol
If you have the old Blu-ray, get ready to gouge your eyes out with the transfer. You've been warned ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 11:40:03 AM »
Never seen it either. In 1984 I was spending at least 180 days a year rock climbing, mountain climbing and hanging off the side of things like El Capitan. And spent 3 months climbing in Patagonia. Movies were the last thing on my mind. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal