Plane (4K UHD) Review

Plane (4K UHD) Review
« on: March 23, 2023, 06:00:56 PM »

Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: March 28, 2023
 Rating: R
 Film:  4/5

Plot
 Pilot Brodie Torrance (Gerard Butler) saves his passengers from a lightning strike by making a risky landing on a war-torn island – only to find that surviving the landing was just the beginning. When most of the passengers are taken hostage by dangerous rebels, the only person Torrance can count on for help is Louis Gaspare (Mike Colter), an accused murderer who was being transported by the FBI. In order to rescue the passengers, Torrance will need Gaspare’s help, and will learn there’s more to Gaspare than meets the eye.

My Thoughts
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this, but my Mom saw it in the theaters and said it was actually pretty good. Regardless, I took Mom’s advice and gave it a go and I’m glad I did. While it’s certainly a check your brain at the door type of film, it’s intense as hell from the outset and my wife and I were on the edge of our seats the entire time. Maybe we were in the right mood for the movie or were just looking to have a mindless night of entertainment, but for whatever reason we had a blast and vowed to keep it in the collection to watch again in the future.

The presentation is solid on the video side, but far from perfect. The image was a bit dark at times, which looks to be intentional to show how dark a powerless plane can be, but it wasn’t fun to watch. Exterior scenes are where things look excellent with plenty of punch, exquisite detail in facial pores and clothing, and plenty of depth. The Dolby Atmos soundtrack does a great job of immersing you in the action, but I felt that the LFE cold have had a bit more punch and it would have raised the grade at least a half of point.

Video 8/10 (AVC)
 Audio 8.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
·        This is Your Captain
·        Plane Clothes
·        Brace for Turbulence
·        4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
 Gerard Butler has made quite a career for himself with these types of films and he does know how to make them fun to watch. While the story is very far-fetched, my wife and I both enjoyed it for what it was meant to be, and the presentation rarely disappoints. Recommended for action/thriller fans.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Plane (4K UHD) Review
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 06:14:00 PM »
Already have this disc ordered. I like a lot of his action films. Looking forward to seeing this! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 07:02:59 PM »
This one is definitely going into our Netflix queue.  The commercials for it looked like a fun adventure movie, and we generally like Butler's films. 

Thanks for the review.
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 07:33:17 PM »
This one is definitely going into our Netflix queue.  The commercials for it looked like a fun adventure movie, and we generally like Butler's films.

Thanks for the review.
Thanks...it's a fun ride. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 06:52:45 AM »
Def a fun way to spend some time. Thanks for the review 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2023, 11:21:33 AM »
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I liked, not, love this one. It ticks the requisite boxes for a suspense thriller but, needed a bit more depth from its character base.

As for the presentation, the video was good but unremarkable and the Atmos track needed more attention from the height channels, especially during the scenes aboard the plane.

Regards,

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 02:37:36 PM »
My wife and I watched this last night, and fall more into Ralph's camp of liking it, but not loving it.  A good rental, but probably won't be adding it to our collection.  Production-wise, some of the shots looked more like they were shot for TV or a streaming service rather than a theatrical release.

I did spend some time listening to the Atmos soundtrack, muting all but the tops and wides.  Surprisingly, this movie actually uses sides, although sparingly.  A lot of the musical score is put into the tops, which isn't that uncommon.  One of the most active uses comes at the beginning of the movie as Butler's character makes his way through the airport.  Another good use is in some of the jungle scenes where all the speakers are used to put the audience into the scene.

Oddly, the speakers were mute in other scenes that really could have been used.  Some of the shots in the plane were silent, and the whole ending would have benefitted as well.

I'm happy to see a Blu-ray rental actually come with an Atmos mix and make some use of the wides.  But I still think the format is generally being underused, and not living up to the promise of over a decade ago.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 11:34:42 AM »
I think my wife and I were in the perfect mood to watch this movie, which may have influenced on feeling on it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 12:15:34 AM »
Had a crowd of friends in my theater tonight to watch this. Totally fun action flick - everybody enjoyed it. Great sound track and great picture too. I need to watch " Hunter Killer " again now.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 06:45:42 AM »
Hunter killer is very underrated. Great bass too :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 08:18:35 PM »
Had a crowd of friends in my theater tonight to watch this. Totally fun action flick - everybody enjoyed it. Great sound track and great picture too. I need to watch " Hunter Killer " again now.
Glad you enjoyed it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal