Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One (Blu-ray) review

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One (Blu-ray) review
« on: March 23, 2023, 05:47:47 PM »

Studio: Paramount / CBS
Release Date: March 21, 2023
 Rating: Not Rated
 Film:  4.5/5

Plot
 The debut season of STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. The series features fan favorites from season two of STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series follows Captain Pike, Science Officer Spock and Number One in the years before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

My Thoughts
I had watched every Star Trek show on TV and film until the third season of Enterprise, which I just couldn’t take any more of the franchise. Too much of a good thing is really such a thing and time started to become more valuable for me and the Enterprise just didn’t connect with me at all, so I just gave up.

A number of years later the movies were rebooted with J.J. Abrams at the helm and I dove back in and enjoyed the trio of films, but Trek TV was essentially dead to me. When Discovery was announced and finally arrived in 2017 I decided to give it a shot and barely made it through the first episode. I just didn’t find one character that I liked and couldn’t see myself sitting through it. While the show has gone on to four semi-successful seasons, it will leave Paramount+ next year with its fifth and final season.

My other Trek exposure came from Picard: Season One, which brought back some fond memories of The Next Generation, but ultimately, I haven’t felt the need to scratch that itch any longer to sit through seasons 2 and 3, but when I heard Strange New Worlds was coming to Blu-ray, it piqued my interest since people I knew who felt the same way about Trek as I did actually liked it, so I thought I’d give it a try—and I’m glad I did.

While not perfect, it’s a very well-done show with excellent production value and a likable cast. It’s tie into the original series certainly helps and I found something to like in all of its 10 Season One episodes. The pilot, “Strange New Worlds”, does a great job of setting up the story and while there are references to the cast’s appearance in Discovery episodes, I never felt lost without watching them beforehand (I may watch them eventually though). What struck me about the show is how consistent it is from episode to episode—it’s solid and consistent entertainment that runs from good to sometimes great, such as the season finale. Showrunner Akiva Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers have the foundation for a great series and have show themselves more than capable of rejuvenating the franchise.

I have zero complaints about the 1080p Blu-ray presentation and I’m excited to hear that a 4K release is on the way as well, but I’m not sure review copies will be available for that. The show looks slick and features a vibrant color palette and plenty of detail. If I had one complaint it’s that the Enterprise looks too modern, which is a bit unsettling after watching the original series, but I have to get rid of my nostalgia and just go with the flow.

The audio is just as impressive and features a robust soundtrack with plenty of discrete effects and a copious amount of LFE. While not quite feature film quality, this is an excellent presentation for a TV show.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)
 Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
·        Audio commentary on Episode One, “Strange New Worlds”
·        Deleted Scenes
·        Star Trek: The Original Series Episode “Balance of Terror”
·        Pike’s Peek
·        World Building
·        Exploring New Worlds
·        Gag Reel

Conclusion
 Watching this show has revitalized my love of Star Trek and my wife and I plan on going back and watching all of the Original Series episodes over the coming months. Heck, I may even give Discovery a second chance, but unless it improves over a span of 4 or 5 episodes, I may bail on it again. One thing is for sure, I’m looking forward to more episodes of Strange New Worlds at some point in the future. Highly recommended.   

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS3100 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” 2.35:1 Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Kaleidescape Strato + Server
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 06:18:27 PM »

Thanks, David. I'm definitely feeling motivated to push this to the top of my watch list now!

Re: ST:D, if you want to give it a shot I would just skip the entire 1st season and pick up with S2. Or maybe just start with S2 of The Orville, lol. A couple of friends have told me it's a better Trek than Discovery. (I bailed on it in the 1st season too, so I definitely can't vouch for either.)

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 06:25:45 PM »
Thanks, David. I'm definitely feeling motivated to push this to the top of my watch list now!

Re: ST:D, if you want to give it a shot I would just skip the entire 1st season and pick up with S2. Or maybe just start with S2 of The Orville, lol. A couple of friends have told me it's a better Trek than Discovery. (I bailed on it in the 1st season too, so I definitely can't vouch for either.)
I may do that...my daughter watched the first season of Discovery and stopped--she's a bigger ST fan than I am (she has a damn uniform and communicator :))
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 06:53:25 AM »
I need some treadmill fodder. This may just do the trick 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen