Devotion (UHD Blu-ray) review

Devotion (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 19, 2023, 07:19:15 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: February 28, 2023
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
Jonathan Majors (Creed III) and Glen Powell (Top Gun: Maverick) star in the epic and inspirational true story of two elite U.S. Navy fighter pilots who helped turn the tide in the most brutal battle in the Korean War: Jesse Brown, the first Black aviator in Navy history and his fellow fighter pilot and friend, Tom Hudner. Their heroic sacrifices and enduring friendship would ultimately make them the Navy's most celebrated wingmen.

My Thoughts
I knew this film was based on true events, but I didn’t realize how important those events were from an historical context. Even though I have always loved history, for some reason I’d never heard of Jesse Brown, who should be mentioned in the same vein as Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson. In many ways, he accomplished much more than those historically significant people.

While Owens and Robinson made their impact in the sports world, Brown had to overcome prejudice in the armed services and what he accomplished was frankly, more important. While I love sports as much as the next guy, becoming the first Black Naval Aviator should have made him a household name and someone every Black kid in America should look up to. To find out about him over 70 years after his death is a travesty when someone like George Floyd is a household name and is anything but a role model for kids in the Black community. It’s almost as if there’s some type of agenda being sold?

Regardless, my wife and I enjoyed the movie a lot. While there are stretches where it slows down a bit, it does a very good job of showing you the struggles that Brown went through and how he gained the respect and admiration of his fellow Navy sailors and aviators. Jonathan Majors excels in the lead role. Powell does his part in the supporting role (and executive producer), but it’s the in-flight sequences that are truly the star of the show. Like Top Gun: Maverick, the cinematography puts the viewer into the cockpit and right into the middle of the action.

Video 9.5/10 (AVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• The Aviation of a Forgotten War
  • The Legacy of Jesse Brown
  • UHD + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I was disappointed that the film didn’t offer an Atmos track given the fantastic battle scenes, but the DTS track doesn’t disappoint when DSU is engaged in the processor. Overall, this is a very good movie and I’m disappointed it didn’t do better in the theaters. I really enjoyed the two supplements as well and they give a great rundown on the production as well as the history behind Brown’s historic life. Definitely check this one out.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 110” Scope Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
SVS SB3000
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Devotion (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 07:48:03 PM »
Nice review, David. The commercials for this looked good, so it's great to hear that the story holds up and has an overall positive message, as well.

I can't believe they didn't include an Atmos or DTS-X mix for this; what a lost opportunity.  Atmos has been around for over a decade now, how is it or DTS-X not the standard for this kind of movie by now?  We have the best equipment ever released for consumers, and the studios have little interest meeting the promise of the format.

I have noticed that some good results with the DTS upmixer on my HTP-1 on other titles, so I'll give that a shot when Netflix decides to mail it to us.

Eager to see this one,

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 08:03:34 PM »
Nice review, David. The commercials for this looked good, so it's great to hear that the story holds up and has an overall positive message, as well.

I can't believe they didn't include an Atmos or DTS-X mix for this; what a lost opportunity.  Atmos has been around for over a decade now, how is it or DTS-X not the standard for this kind of movie by now?  We have the best equipment ever released for consumers, and the studios have little interest meeting the promise of the format.

I have noticed that some good results with the DTS upmixer on my HTP-1 on other titles, so I'll give that a shot when Netflix decides to mail it to us.

Eager to see this one,

Scott
Scott,

I was surprised as well. I will say that the DTS mix was damn good though, especially the LFE. The flight sequences are pretty impressive as well--the same crew that did Top Gun: Maverick did this movie as well and it shows. In same ways it's actually better because the plane used to capture the flight from the rear could be extremely close to the action since the planes had props versus jets (didn't have to worry about the output from the jet engines). 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 11:30:59 PM »
Thanks David. I have this on my Amazon movie buy list, and I'll pull the trigger later this week when it dips below $30. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 12:39:09 AM »
Great timing. I had just watched the preview this week and put it on my iTunes wish list, so it's going to be expedited. 

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 07:28:44 AM »
This was a great presentation (minus atmos) never heard of it before reading about this release. I enjoyed it
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 11:01:21 AM »
This was a great presentation (minus atmos) never heard of it before reading about this release. I enjoyed it
Every Chistopher Nolan movie is a "great presentation (minus atmos)". 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 09:59:51 AM »
Greetings,

Nice job Dave. I agree that it's shameful that this story hadn't been told until now. The Korean War doesn't get much play in cinematic circles either, which doesn't help matters.

Regards, 

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 11:41:52 AM »
Greetings,

Nice job Dave. I agree that it's shameful that this story hadn't been told until now. The Korean War doesn't get much play in cinematic circles either, which doesn't help matters.

Regards,
Well, there was M.A.S.H. :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 05:20:49 PM »
I never watched mash. Always assumed it was Vietnam tho. Lol. 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 05:43:59 PM »
Korea is the forgotten war, which is weird in so many ways. It's technically still going on, as there was only an armistice and of course we have the DMZ between N & S. Seems odd that there is so little representation for it in movies but I guess it's part of the overall Cold War and came between two larger conflicts from a US military and overall impact perspective.

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 11:42:50 AM »
Well, there was M.A.S.H. :)
I loved M.A.S.H. Great series.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 06:34:46 PM »
When it came on it was time for bed. That’s all i knew lol

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 07:17:50 PM »
I bought the DVDs for my wife a few years ago for Christmas and we watched every episode in order over the period of about nine months (a few per day) and I have to say, it was arguably one of the best written comedies/dramas ever. It's consistently good from episode to episode and out of 251 total episodes, I could only recall 3 of them being mediocre--the rest were somewhere between very good and excellent. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 07:44:05 PM »
I have the DVD set as well. When I was in college, it was on syndication and I always always watched an episode before going to bed. Sadly, they don't make TV like that anymore.

The final episode of M.A.S.H., "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" was the most watched ever at that time.

from wikipedia,

The episode drew 105.97 million total viewers[5] and a total audience of 121.6 million,[6] more than both Super Bowl XVII and the Roots miniseries .... From 1983 until 2010, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" remained the most watched television broadcast in American history,[2] passed only in total viewership (but not in ratings or share) in February 2010 by Super Bowl XLIV. As of 2010, it stands as the most-watched finale of any television series,[5] as well as the most-watched episode as of 2018.[7]

« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 07:55:18 PM by tripplej »
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal