Don't Worry Darling (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

Don't Worry Darling (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: December 02, 2022, 08:22:45 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: November 29, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
Alice (Florence Pugh) and Jack (Harry Styles) are lucky to be living in the idealized community of Victory, the experimental company town housing the men who work for the top-secret Victory Project and their families. The 1950’s societal optimism espoused by their CEO, Frank (Chris Pine)—equal parts corporate visionary and motivational life coach—anchors every aspect of daily life in the tight-knit desert utopia.

While the husbands spend every day inside the Victory Project Headquarters, working on the “development of progressive materials,” their wives—including Frank’s elegant partner, Shelley (Gemma Chan)—get to spend their time enjoying the beauty, luxury and debauchery of their community. Life is perfect, with every resident’s needs met by the company. All they ask in return is discretion and unquestioning commitment to the Victory cause.

But when cracks in their idyllic life begin to appear, exposing flashes of something much more sinister lurking beneath the attractive façade, Alice can’t help questioning exactly what they’re doing in Victory, and why. Just how much is Alice willing to lose to expose what’s really going on in this paradise?

My Thoughts
And along comes another blind watch, which seems to be getting more of a routine than an oddity around my house. When I popped the movie in last night to finally watch it, my wife asked, “What’s it about?” I replied, “I have no freaking idea, but let’s give it a shot.” I actually think I enjoyed the movie better this way—it was a mystery from start to finish.

Pugh is excellent playing the lead as her idyllic life starts to spin out of control. Styles, who is known more for his singing than his acting, does a decent job as her spouse, but be prepared for some pretty saucy romantic scenes between the two!

Overall, we thought it was just OK and felt the ending could have been better executed and while I mostly understood the twisted plot, there are still a few loose threads that I need to think about before watching it a second time.

The 4K presentation is excellent overall. The shots of Victory are outstanding and feature bold and bright colors, but it’s the Dolby Atmos track that’s the star of this presentation. The sound design is awesome and for this reason alone makes the movie worth watching at least once.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• The Making of Don’t Worry Darling
  • Alice’s Nightmare Deleted Scene
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I almost didn’t include the above trailer because I think going in blind to this is the way to experience it. The writing is quite good and I really loved Pugh’s performance—it wouldn’t surprise me if she receives some attention from the award shows this winter. All that being said, the Atmos track is THE reason to watch the movie—it’s one of the best jobs of sound design I’ve ever heard.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Don't Worry Darling (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 12:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the review, David.

I was on the fence about this one, but your comments on the Atmos soundtrack have piqued my interest so it's been added to our queue.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 07:24:56 AM »
Going in blind is my kind of way to watch. What genre is it?
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 01:01:16 PM »
Going in blind is my kind of way to watch. What genre is it?
Mystery/Thriller/drama/with a slight sci-fi element. It's not a great, but is watchable and will challenge you to think. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 04:48:06 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I more or less agree with your sentiments about the film. I also enjoyed the video presentation. I was less impressed with the Atmos track, finding it to be more laid back than present.

Regards,

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 05:28:10 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave. I more or less agree with your sentiments about the film. I also enjoyed the video presentation. I was less impressed with the Atmos track, finding it to be more laid back than present.

Regards,
While the LFE wasn't as deep as I usually like, I thought the imaging (especially in the rear and overhead channels) was excellent. Maybe it was the Trinnov processing :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 12:11:39 AM »
My wife and I watched this tonight, and we both liked it quite a bit.  And you're right, this is best to go in blind, or you risk trying to outguess what's actually going on in the movie.

I also agree with you on the sound design; I thought there were some interesting and unique effects that added to the mystery, and the music sounded lively and fit the mood of the movie.

The script had some witty and sharp dialog, but some of the exposition could have been handled with more subtlety and nuance.  Not to the point of distraction, but it was hard to listen to without thinking that we're being spoon-fed backstory instead of just a natural exchange of dialog.

The ending was kind of a mixed bag, and raises a number of questions, most of which can't be discussed without spoiling the plot, but one of the simplest ones is what exactly is the business model looked like for the Victory Project?  (Then again, I'm also someone that spent way too much time thinking about how insurance claims are supposed to be handled in The Purge universe.)

One thing worth mentioning is that although this film had a definite agenda (just watch the making of extra if you're unsure), it never interfered with or stood in the way of the storyline.  It actually did a good job of maintaining a theme without sacrificing the plot.  That isn't to say that some of the characters weren't used as simple foils, but that's hardly unusual today, with or without the filmmakers pushing their various causes.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 02:20:46 AM »
My wife and I watched this tonight, and we both liked it quite a bit.  And you're right, this is best to go in blind, or you risk trying to outguess what's actually going on in the movie.

I also agree with you on the sound design; I thought there were some interesting and unique effects that added to the mystery, and the music sounded lively and fit the mood of the movie.

The script had some witty and sharp dialog, but some of the exposition could have been handled with more subtlety and nuance.  Not to the point of distraction, but it was hard to listen to without thinking that we're being spoon-fed backstory instead of just a natural exchange of dialog.

The ending was kind of a mixed bag, and raises a number of questions, most of which can't be discussed without spoiling the plot, but one of the simplest ones is what exactly is the business model looked like for the Victory Project?  (Then again, I'm also someone that spent way too much time thinking about how insurance claims are supposed to be handled in The Purge universe.)

One thing worth mentioning is that although this film had a definite agenda (just watch the making of extra if you're unsure), it never interfered with or stood in the way of the storyline.  It actually did a good job of maintaining a theme without sacrificing the plot.  That isn't to say that some of the characters weren't used as simple foils, but that's hardly unusual today, with or without the filmmakers pushing their various causes.

Scott
Glad you enjoyed it. Totally agree about the agenda....not in your face, but it's definitely there if you look hard enough. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 09:52:02 PM »
I LOVED this movie. Suspenseful. Great sound (deeeeep bass even without a beq) great picture. She’s hot AF. 

Just a cool flick. Thanks again!

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 11:39:30 PM »
I LOVED this movie. Suspenseful. Great sound (deeeeep bass even without a beq) great picture. She’s hot AF.

I am so on the fence about this movie. But then you post this. The 4K Blu-ray needs to drop way down in price. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 06:35:35 AM »
Also the soundtrack is right up my ally as is the 50’s America vibe 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you go in blind as well?
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 11:19:13 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it. Did you go in blind as well?
yessir as i do with almost all movies.

Im actually shocked you commented it was lacking deep bass.  its actually a very deep hard/hot hitting bass movie as is.  Im trying to get the graph of it but my crowsons/subs were rumbling and wobbling

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2022, 11:30:23 AM »
Bass wasn't bad, but could have dug a tad deeper....maybe I may need to bump my LFE another dB or two. How many dBs hot are you running your subs?
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 12:28:00 PM »
i run +4db house curve in DIRAC but I also have 4 18" sealed subs and crowsons in a tiny room. so I am flat to 5Hz.   .  this movie Definitely dug into the low double digits if not single digits.  what are your capabilities below 20hz?

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up