AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Barry

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
« on: November 11, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »
                                                    Mourning becomes excessive.

When we left the theater, honestly, no one said a word until we got into the care.  I thought, “How do I rate this?, bad, good, indifferent?”  And then I thought of the word: “Disappointed.”

This movie had none of the excitement or majesty that the first movie had.  This is a movie about grief and mourning. And to remind you of that, the film was shot very darkly, uncomfortably dark. And with no humor at all.

I also sadly realized that we are at the end of the peak of the Marvel Age.  The movies ae just not very original anymore. Yes I liked Spider-Man No Way Home and Chang Chi, but the Eternals, Thor, Black Widow and Dr. Strange did not excite me.  Now, complicating the plot and making the movie a half an longer that it had to be were injections of Marvel plots and characters that could have easily been left out.

Slight Spoilers Ahead
The movie begins with the funeral of T’Challa and then to a tribute in the opening credits. The, it introduces us to the international countries that want Vibranium for their defense systems.  But instead of having them fight for it, they introduce, to my greatest disappointment, Namor, the Sub-Mariner, ruler of an undersea kingdom, who turns out to be a murderous warlord, not the great anti-hero he was for 80 years of comics. Namor  causes Wakanda’s royalty to contact to Everett Ross (Martin Freeman), which causes it to enter the Marvel Universe with subplots that just make the movie longer and do not advance the story.  I suspect that David will like the large battle scenes, but they were unimaginative and drawn out. This does become an action adventure movie and it unusual that the focus is on three women.

To me a big thing:  There was so much grief shown for the passing of T’Challa, and none for any of the other soldiers who die in this war.  It was like Royalty counted and no one else did.

And we have to wait for over two hours for the new Black Panther and a MCU ending which sets up the next movie and therefore is not an ending at all..

I could go on, but this is not a bad movie, just not the movie I expected and hoped for. 

« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 03:44:59 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
Thanks Barry for your review. I may wait for this to go to streaming or blu ray..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 03:52:59 PM »
                                                    Mourning becomes excessive.

When we left the theater, honestly, no one said a word until we got into the care.  I thought, “How do I rate this?, bad, good, indifferent?”  And then I thought of the word: “Disappointed.”

This movie had none of the excitement or majesty that the first movie had.  This is a movie about grief and mourning. And to remind you of that, the film was shot very darkly, uncomfortably dark. And with no humor at all.

I also sadly realized that we are at the end of the peak of the Marvel Age.  The movies ae just not very original anymore. Yes I liked Spider-Man No Way Home and Chang Chi, but the Eternals, Thor, Black Widow and Dr. Strange did not excite me.  Now, complicating the plot and making the movie a half an longer that it had to be were injections of Marvel plots and characters that could have easily been left out.

Slight Spoilers Ahead
The movie begins with the funeral of T’Challa and then to a tribute in the opening credits. The, it introduces us to the international countries that want Vibranium for their defense systems.  But instead of having them fight for it, they introduce, to my greatest disappointment, Namor, the Sub-Mariner, ruler of an undersea kingdom, who turns out to be a murderous warlord, not the great anti-hero he was for 80 years of comics. Namor  causes Wakanda’s royalty to contact to Everett Ross (Martin Freeman), which causes it to enter the Marvel Universe with subplots that just make the movie longer and do not advance the story.  I suspect that David will like the large battle scenes, but they were unimaginative and drawn out. This does become an action adventure movie and it unusual that the focus is on three women.

To me a big thing:  There was so much grief shown for the passing of T’Challa, and none for any of the other soldiers who die in this war.  It was like Royalty counted and no one else did.

And we have to wait for over two hours for the new Black Panther and a MCU ending which sets up the next movie and therefore is not an ending at all..

I could go on, but this is not a bad movie, just not the movie I expected and hoped for.
I'm not a fan of long drawn-out battle sequences. I'll wait for this to hit home video, like I've done with the last 3 Marvell movies. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 04:11:22 PM »
Yes, wait.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »
We watched this on D+ last night - glad I waited on this one to be free on streaming. Way too long. Virtually no humor, pretty somber much of the time. I actually snoozed off at one point, which I NEVER do. 

Marvel's fall off continues. I don't know if they can recapture that great run they went on for several years.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »
We watched this on D+ last night - glad I waited on this one to be free on streaming. Way too long. Virtually no humor, pretty somber much of the time. I actually snoozed off at one point, which I NEVER do.

Marvel's fall off continues. I don't know if they can recapture that great run they went on for several years.
We ended up doing the same last night and I concur 100%. I nodded off at one point and my wife woke me up...I don't think I missed much. The "scientist" really annoyed me for some reason, but I do like Letitia White (Black Panther) but when they called it "Wakanda Forever," think they meant the film would go on, and on, and on, forever. Bloated doesn't begin to describe the screenplay. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

JOE-C

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 02:59:46 PM »
I bought the 4K disc and feel like it has some very nice scenes to show off a JVC projector especially for contrast.
Not sure how good the movie itself is.

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »
Could have been done in 1:45 easily and been much better for it
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 10:08:17 PM »
Now we know why they called it Wakanda FOREVER!!! It took that long for it to end. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »
Pretty accurate ahha
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen