AVS Discussions
  Go Down

See How They Run (Movie's Anywhere) digital review

See How They Run (Movie's Anywhere) digital review
« on: November 10, 2022, 05:15:55 PM »

Studio: Searchlight / Disney
Release Date: November 1, 2022 (Digital), None (Physical)
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
Welcome to the greatest murder ever staged! It is the West End of London in the 1950s and plans for a movie version of a smash-hit play have come to an abrupt halt after a pivotal member of the crew is murdered. When world-weary Inspector Stoppard (Sam Rockwell) and his eager rookie sidekick, Constable Stalker (Saoirse Ronan), take on the case, the two find themselves thrown into a puzzling whodunit within the glamorously sordid theatre underground. The more they investigate the mysterious homicide, the more they realize that they do so at their own peril.

My Thoughts
Here’s another movie I never even knew existed until the PR department at Disney sent me a 4K Digital Code in order to perform a review. It turns out that it’s a very good movie, especially if you like the mystery genre. Saoirse Ronan steals the show as the sidekick and while I liked Rockwell’s performance, Ronan steals every scene she’s in.

After watching the film I’m shocked this didn’t get more publicity or even a physical disc release date. The sets are outstanding and the ensemble cast delivers quite a few laughs. Furthermore, the unique storytelling is fun to experience and you’ll know what I mean when you watch the film. At the end of the film, Rockwell breaks the fourth wall and tells the audience to not spoil the ending, so I definitely won’t do that!

Conclusion
If you get a chance to catch this on the digital platforms, it’s definitely worth the time investment. It’s a mystery with quite a bit of humor thrown in and my wife and I really enjoyed it a lot. Ronan is at the top of her game and I just love her Irish accent! I ended up watching the film via Movies Anywhere and found the overall A/Q quality quite good, as for as streaming goes, but would love to see a physical release at some point.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: See How They Run (Movie's Anywhere) digital review
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 05:57:09 PM »
Thanks for reviewing this David, looks like fun - and in the vein of Knives Out, a lighthearted but twisty murder mystery movie. I generally like Rockwell and most of the movies I've seen him in so that's a plus for me. Ronan is great too, so I'm definitely putting this on the list to watch soon.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:29:21 PM »
Thanks for reviewing this David, looks like fun - and in the vein of Knives Out, a lighthearted but twisty murder mystery movie. I generally like Rockwell and most of the movies I've seen him in so that's a plus for me. Ronan is great too, so I'm definitely putting this on the list to watch soon.
I think you'll enjoy it Paul. Be sure to let me know what you think of it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 06:52:44 AM »
Awesome. Should
Be another fun run that I can thanks you for bringing to light :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 11:59:29 PM »
I think you'll enjoy it Paul. Be sure to let me know what you think of it.
We watched it tonight and overall really enjoyed it. I admit, I didn't grok the title until the end, even though they had "Three Blind Mice" play during the movie at one point. It sagged a bit for me after the first hour or so but picked back up. Lots of fun wordplay, and I'm sure tons of little jokes and references I didn't catch as I'm not that familiar with The Mousetrap (looked it up and saw that it has basically run continuously since the 1950s in London, only pausing due to the pandemic) and I'd assume plenty of other "whodunit" and Agatha Christie references. 

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 02:35:36 AM »
We watched it tonight and overall really enjoyed it. I admit, I didn't grok the title until the end, even though they had "Three Blind Mice" play during the movie at one point. It sagged a bit for me after the first hour or so but picked back up. Lots of fun wordplay, and I'm sure tons of little jokes and references I didn't catch as I'm not that familiar with The Mousetrap (looked it up and saw that it has basically run continuously since the 1950s in London, only pausing due to the pandemic) and I'd assume plenty of other "whodunit" and Agatha Christie references.
The dialog was excellent as well as the delivery, IMO. it may be even better the second time given all of the hints given along the way. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2022, 12:03:56 PM »
loved this.  watched it last night

thanks again for the recco
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4)