DC League of Super-Pets (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

DC League of Super-Pets (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: October 02, 2022, 08:03:01 PM »

Studio: Warner Brothers
Release Date: October 4, 2022
Rating: PG
Film: 4/5

Plot
In “DC League of Super-Pets,” Krypto the Super-Dog (Dwayne Johnson) and Superman (John Krasinski) are inseparable best friends, sharing the same superpowers and fighting crime in Metropolis side by side. When Superman and the rest of the Justice League are kidnapped, Krypto must convince a rag-tag shelter pack—Ace the hound (Kevin Hart), PB the potbellied pig (Vanessa Bayer), Merton the turtle (Natasha Lyonne) and Chip the squirrel (Diego Luna)—to master their own newfound powers and help him rescue the superheroes.

My Thoughts
I’ve gotten to the point where I debate whether to request animated films because my kids are now out of the house and frankly, they all are starting to be somewhat unoriginal (like most things out of Hollywood these days). Regardless, I decided to take a chance with this one and I’m glad I did.

For starters, the film has a lot of heart and actually a pretty good message about friendship and loyalty. Also, while most DC movies are dark and dingy, this one actually is bright and colorful and while the dual villains are menacing in their own right, the heroes more than make up for them with their positivity. There’s plenty of humor in the screenplay as well and my wife and I laughed-out-loud on multiple occasions.

The presentation is very good even though the video is upscaled from the 2K source. Detail is excellent, the color palette is rich and vibrant, and there are also plenty of HDR effects. The true star of the show—sorry Krypto—is the Dolby Atmos soundtrack. In fact, one would think this was a Pixar track from 20 years ago given its active surround mix and foundation-shaking LFE.

Video 9/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • How to Draw Krypto
  • Behind the Super Voices
  • Super-Pets Animation
  • The World of Super=Pets
  • Find the Easter Eggs
  • Deleted Scenes
  • 4K + Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
My wife begrudgingly sat down with me to watch this and stated from the outset that if she wasn’t entertained within the first 15 minutes, she was going to go read a book instead. Well, she ended up staying for the entire film and we both had fun with it. This is the type of film that kids can watch over and over and there’s enough meat on the story bone to keep the parents interested as well. Highly recommended for those with young ones in the house (or that come for a visit).

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: DC League of Super-Pets (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 12:27:43 PM »
the Fam loves this film.  i have yet to see it as i was waiting for this disc.  Ill be watching it with them soon :)
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 04:22:55 PM »
Now we just need the real breakthrough... get Craig to watch this. 

Invite him over, bill it as something else. That's how a friend tricked me into watching an Adam Sandler movie once. ;D

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 04:50:31 PM »
Now we just need the real breakthrough... get Craig to watch this.

Invite him over, bill it as something else. That's how a friend tricked me into watching an Adam Sandler movie once. ;D
or I'll trick David into watching Northman again! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 04:54:24 PM »
Greetings,

Yep! A fun little family adventure. Nice job Dave!

Regards,

Barry

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 05:29:42 PM »
The Legion of Super-Pets was the biggest reason I I left DC comics and read Marvels. At the time, DC was bigger than Marvel but Dell comics, written mostly for younger readers, was the biggest seller.  And they had a lot of taking animals….Donald Duck, Mick Mouse, Mighty Mouse, Heckle and Jeckle etc.

DC targeted readers who were 10-15 years old. Although that group was also the biggest group buying Marvels, Marvel comics were aimed at High School and College readers.

So talking animals did not interest me.  That they made name plates and had regular meetings where they discussed the issues of the days was childish.  I was growing up and DC was not growing with me. Marvel was.

The comic book legion, consisting of the original membership included Krypto the Superdog, Streaky the Supercat, Beppo the Super-Monkey, and Comet the Super-Horse, and the shape-shifting alien Proty II were the original members.

Ace, the Bat-Hound by the way, was not a member.  But he did have a mask when he traveled with Batman so the other dogs would not recognize him. Don’t ask, don’t smell.

Unlike the movie, Krypto, young Kal- El’s pet, was placed in an experimental rocket to orbit Krypton and probably die up there.  When the planet exploded, Krypto rocket drifted to Earth.

Beppo, the super-monkey, jumped into superbaby’s rocket when no one noticed.

Streaky the super cat, was an ordinary cat until he was exposed to Supergirl’s experiment with kryptonite and gained powers.

Comet, the super-horse was a centaur that the mythological Circe turned into a full horse. He became the per of Supergirl.

The movie, directed to kids, had Krypto, but none of the other original characters.  I saw it and it is a fun movie, with all the right lessons, for kids.

Ace, the Bat-Hound by the way, was not a member.  But he did have a mask when he traveled with Batman so the other dogs would not recognize him. Don’t ask, don’t smell.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:14:37 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 07:11:09 PM »
I love reading about the history of these comics Barry. Thanks for chiming in. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 07:11:21 PM »
Greetings,

Yep! A fun little family adventure. Nice job Dave!

Regards,
Thanks for chiming in Ralph. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal