AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Broadcast TV

Barry

Broadcast TV
« on: September 13, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »
Growing up, I remember looking forward to the TV guide that came out in early September.  It listed all the new shows and what changes would be mase for the old ones.  ( a new “Darrell,” Gunsmoke going to 60 minutes).  That was years ago and it was a big deal in our house.

Certain TV shows were never missed by the family.  In fact, for the “big” ones we often went to a neighbor who had a 25 Inch COLOR set. We’d see:

1. The Academy Awards
2. The Emmys
3. Miss America
4. Saturday Night at the Movies on NBC

My neighbors and my mother also decided that if an actor did NOT show up to get their awards at the Oscars or Emmys it should be given to the next person who showed up!  Really, they thought that way.

I did not even know that the Emmys were on last night, until read  it in the newspaper this morning.  I don’t care to watch it.  The AP article said they started off with a production number of the music from “Friends” and the Brady Bunch.  How sad, I thought, they have to go back 50 years and can do nothing current.

And from what I read virtually nothing came from Broadcast TV.  I remember, in 197)s, the broadcasters tried to keep PBS off the Emmys because they knew Upstairs Downstairs would sweep. Later they fought to keep of cable shows. Now, CBS, NBC and ABC own Paramount, Peacock and Disney and they don’t block them.

Except for sports, there is little for me on Broadcast.  (CBS Sunday Morning, Young Sheldon and Jeopardy) are about it for me.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:07:17 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

Re: Broadcast TV
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 05:05:48 PM »
Sadly one of NBC daytime staple both my late nana and mother have watched since it’s inception (and now one of my good friend stars in) Days of Our Lives is going to online only peacock. Insane
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 05:45:35 PM »
Barry,

We are down to two Network shows....Young Sheldon and Jeopardy. If it weren't for promos during NFL games, I honestly wouldn't have a clue what shows were on TV anymore. As you can see...the promos aren't working because I haven't added any "new" ones into my watching queue. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 06:01:50 PM »
Don't recall where I saw it and I'm sure it was related to the Emmys being this week (which I didn't watch - I've never been an awards show watcher), but read an article about the networks basically throwing in the towel on producing dramatic content. It's almost all either templates of standard, familiar stuff (cop procedural etc in a known franchise) or sports. No surprise to anyone who's been keeping track, of course, but all the creative and interesting shows are on streaming/premium channels. The stuff left on my DVR is Jeopardy, football and some documentary (science, history) type stuff for me and reality/forensic stuff for my wife. I don't think we're watching a single scripted show on "regular" TV any more. 

We're just finishing up a few things on Netflix (The Last Kingdom, Lucifer) before rotating it out. The next things up for us are Only Murders In the Building (Hulu), House of the Dragon (HBO Max) and maybe The Rings of Power (Amazon).

Barry

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 06:10:33 PM »
Barry,

We are down to two Network shows....Young Sheldon and Jeopardy. If it weren't for promos during NFL games, I honestly wouldn't have a clue what shows were on TV anymore. As you can see...the promos aren't working because I haven't added any "new" ones into my watching queue.
Technically, I’m also down to two network shows. Jeopardy is a syndicated  sure it’s not created by the network. But it is interesting that Those who are responding here are watching just a couple shows and we all like Jeopardy.

I should also mention that one of my favourite shows is on PBS. It’s called “Finding Your Roots.” It really is an incredible show and try it out if you can.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 07:08:39 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 08:19:15 PM »
Technically, I’m also down to two network shows. Jeopardy is a syndicated  sure it’s not created by the network. But it is interesting that Those who are responding here are watching just a couple shows and we all like Jeopardy.

I should also mention that one of my favourite shows is on PBS. It’s called “Finding Your Roots.” It really is an incredible show and try it out if you can.
Barry,

Another great show on PBS is "All Creatures Great and Small" (https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/all-creatures-great-and-small/)...so I guess that's considered Network and we did watch the first two seasons. It's excellent as well. My wife has read the books the show is based on and has really enjoyed them. 

Another older PBS show, Poldark, is quite good. It's on Netflix (or Amazon...can't remember) now. The female lead is quite the hottie ;), if redheads do something for you :D
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 08:47:37 PM »
Barry,

Another great show on PBS is "All Creatures Great and Small" (https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/all-creatures-great-and-small/)...so I guess that's considered Network and we did watch the first two seasons. It's excellent as well. My wife has read the books the show is based on and has really enjoyed them.

Another older PBS show, Poldark, is quite good. It's on Netflix (or Amazon...can't remember) now. The female lead is quite the hottie ;), if redheads do something for you :D
You are absolutely right about All Creatures. Because it wasn’t on recently I forgot to mention it. But I watched it this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it is coming back again this year. I also like Doc Martin Which will have its final season this year. This show is on it like every other year but I thoroughly enjoy it. David, isn’t it interesting that the best shows are not 25 episodes of year, but they’re on for 6 to 10 episodes.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 09:53:35 PM »
You are absolutely right about All Creatures. Because it wasn’t on recently I forgot to mention it. But I watched it this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it is coming back again this year. I also like Doc Martin Which will have its final season this year. This show is on it like every other year but I thoroughly enjoy it. David, isn’t it interesting that the best shows are not 25 episodes of year, but they’re on for 6 to 10 episodes.
I think it comes back next week. As for the number of shows...you are correct. They do 6-10 REALLY good shows versus 25 mediocre ones. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 08:38:07 AM »
i havent watched a network show in YEARS...although i do watch a reality show every year so that doesnt really count (Big Brother)

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 10:24:26 AM »
I've had Poldark on my radar a while, have heard good things. It's on Amazon. Trying to get the wife interested but so far she's resisting. (She defies some of the stereotypes lol... all these historical shows that many women love, like Outlander, she mostly doesn't. If only the same were true of the awful "married in 5 minutes with 10 months of idiotic drama" type shows. :()

Barry

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 11:22:11 AM »
From AP

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »
the world is changing no doubt

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2022, 02:15:11 PM »
Our network viewing is down to the local and national news, and my wife love Dateline and 48 Hours! Plus the Winter Olympics - every 4 years! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2022, 03:13:50 PM »
We only watch the local news and the local sports on broadcast TV..

For movies and tv shows, we binge watch on streaming channels..
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 05:17:42 PM »
We only watch the local news and the local sports on broadcast TV..

For movies and tv shows, we binge watch on streaming channels..
We used watch Seal Team on CBS ( via the DVR ) but they moved it to Paramount +, so we stopped watching it. I don't like being forced to subscribe to watch something that was essentially free. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal