Everything Everywhere All At Once (UHD Blu-ray) review

Everything Everywhere All At Once (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: July 11, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »

Studio: Lionsgate
Release Date: July 5, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
Evelyn Wang (Michelle Yeoh), a flustered immigrant mother, is contacted from a parallel universe and told that only she can save the world. The unlikely hero must learn to channel her newfound powers and fight through the splintering timelines of the multiverse to save her home, her family, and herself in this big-hearted and irreverent adventure. With Stephanie Hsu, Ke Huy Quan, Jenny Slate, Harry Shum Jr., James Hong, and Jamie Lee Curtis.

My Thoughts
I had never even seen the trailer for this movie when the press release came across my desk, so I figured “what the heck, let’s give it a try.” I’m glad I did because while the story is quite bizarre and difficult to follow in the first act, the payoff is worth the confusion at the beginning. Granted, the film isn’t perfect. Some of the antics are a bit too over the top, but the choreography is excellent and it’s fun to see Ke Huy Quan back in the acting game again (Shortround from Temple of Doom). In a lot of ways, the film reminded me of the original Matrix film in its ability to make you think and question things around you. Furthermore, the writers did an excellent job of explaining the multiverse and how each decision impacts it.

Another star of the show is the presentation. Sure, the video quality is quite good (as is usually the case these days with the digitally-shot productions), but the sound design is simply fantastic and makes great use of the Atmos format. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this film win the Oscar for the category this year—yes, it’s that good and is an integral part of the story.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 10/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Audio Commentary with Writers/Directors Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
  • “Almost Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Everything Everywhere All At Once” Featurette
  • “Putting Everything on a Bagel: Cooking up the Multiverse” Featurette
  • Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
  • Outtakes
  • Music Visual
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I was a bit lost the first 20 minutes of the film and wondered what the heck I got myself into, but I’m glad I stuck it out because the film was a blast to sit through. For full disclosure, my wife didn’t make it through and gave up after the first hour or so—she thought it had taken a crude turn and wasn’t enjoying herself, but my adult son and I ate it up and were glad we decided to watch it. If you’re looking for something unique that’s full of action and will make you think, then definitely check this out. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Everything Everywhere All At Once (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 02:47:02 PM »
Received my copy yesterday too, but my wife opted for streaming Sing 2 over this. (Which was fun, at least.)

I'll see it within the next couple of weeks - if nothing else, I have it scheduled to show off the new projector for a guy's afternoon on the 24th while she's out of town!

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 03:02:08 PM »
Received my copy yesterday too, but my wife opted for streaming Sing 2 over this. (Which was fun, at least.)

I'll see it within the next couple of weeks - if nothing else, I have it scheduled to show off the new projector for a guy's afternoon on the 24th while she's out of town!
Perfect movie for a guy's afternoon. I forgot to state in the review is the film changes aspect ratios throughout the film, so plan accordingly. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 04:34:09 PM »
I got this disc last week and am totally looking forward to watching this, as is my wife. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 04:40:26 PM »
I got this disc last week and am totally looking forward to watching this, as is my wife.
Let me know what you think of it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
I’ll be watching tonight. Looking forward to it
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 11:55:14 AM »
I’ll be watching tonight. Looking forward to it
Report back on your thoughts. Thanks!
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 12:53:43 PM »
The wife and I watched this last night, and we both enjoyed it.  It's not a movie for everyone, it is crude (unnecessarily so, at some points), the plot is a bit messy, some of acting is a little over-the-top, but the cast sure looked like they had some fun making it.

Speaking of the cast, Michelle Yeoh does a fine job in her evolving role, and not afraid to come off as unlikeable at times.  Ke Huy Quan plays his roles perfectly, and while he looks surprisingly old, there's still a twinkle in his eyes that expresses youthful exuberance that adds a refreshing spark to the movie.  In contrast, the amazing James Hong just turned 93 this year, and looks incredible for his age.  I actually wished he could have been featured a little more in the film.

For those of you about to watch this, don't turn off the movie at the end credits.  The song that plays at the end features David Byrne on vocals and sounds amazing.  The music and vocals were so well recorded, with an incredible sense of envelopment that really drew me in to the point of wondering how much the Atmos channels were contributing.  So I pulled out the custom HTP-1 app and started muting the overheads, sides, rears, and tops, and to my great surprise that fantastic song is simply a stereo mix; there is no sound coming from any of the other speakers, except the subs.  

That prompted me to go back and spot check various parts of the movie.  The tops were used almost exclusively for the musical score.  The one exception was a small amount of helicopter sounds from one screen.  Regardless, the soundtrack was really well done for such a small movie.

Fun and entertaining, it's a recommended watch.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »
The wife and I watched this last night, and we both enjoyed it.  It's not a movie for everyone, it is crude (unnecessarily so, at some points), the plot is a bit messy, some of acting is a little over-the-top, but the cast sure looked like they had some fun making it.

Speaking of the cast, Michelle Yeoh does a fine job in her evolving role, and not afraid to come off as unlikeable at times.  Ke Huy Quan plays his roles perfectly, and while he looks surprisingly old, there's still a twinkle in his eyes that expresses youthful exuberance that adds a refreshing spark to the movie.  In contrast, the amazing James Hong just turned 93 this year, and looks incredible for his age.  I actually wished he could have been featured a little more in the film.

For those of you about to watch this, don't turn off the movie at the end credits.  The song that plays at the end features David Byrne on vocals and sounds amazing.  The music and vocals were so well recorded, with an incredible sense of envelopment that really drew me in to the point of wondering how much the Atmos channels were contributing.  So I pulled out the custom HTP-1 app and started muting the overheads, sides, rears, and tops, and to my great surprise that fantastic song is simply a stereo mix; there is no sound coming from any of the other speakers, except the subs. 

That prompted me to go back and spot check various parts of the movie.  The tops were used almost exclusively for the musical score.  The one exception was a small amount of helicopter sounds from one screen.  Regardless, the soundtrack was really well done for such a small movie.

Fun and entertaining, it's a recommended watch.

Scott
Scott,

All great points and I agree. 

David
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 06:54:19 PM »
I mentioned the song that played over the ending credits.  The movie company actually has it available on YouTube:

I haven't listened to it in the theater, so can't say if it adequately represents what's on the disc, but it really is a remarkable song. 

Another amazing thing I just read is that David Byrne is 70 years old now.  His voice sounds exactly the same.  He and James Wong both must possess amazing genes.

Scott
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 11:24:16 PM »
Wife and I started this tonight. Got about halfway or so through and just couldn't take it. Just too chaotic frenetic absurd.

I'll give it this though... it didn't violate Chekhov's gun (or auditor award) principle, though fulfilling it was the point where we stopped.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 11:58:52 PM »
Wife and I started this tonight. Got about halfway or so through and just couldn't take it. Just too chaotic frenetic absurd.

I'll give it this though... it didn't violate Chekhov's gun (or auditor award) principle, though fulfilling it was the point where we stopped.
Yeah, that whole part was quite a bit over the top, and not needed. 

The googly eyes bring some balance in the other direction though.

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 01:03:43 AM »

I'll give it this though... it didn't violate Chekhov's gun (or auditor award) principle, though fulfilling it was the point where we stopped.
My wife gave up when the fight happened with certain pieces of rubber anatomy. My son and I couldn't stop laughing in that scene. It reminded us of The Boys
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2022, 02:41:43 AM »
My wife gave up when the fight happened with certain pieces of rubber anatomy. My son and I couldn't stop laughing in that scene. It reminded us of The Boys.
Yeah, I pretty much figured that's when she bailed. We did laugh at that, it was just so frenetic and frazzled during and after.

I'm a big fan of Rick & Morty which has a lot of that stuff and even weirder, but it's easier to handle in cartoon form. 

I might try finishing it at some point, it was just too much at once. Maybe knowing a bit more what it is will help. So don't get me wrong - I can see that there's "something there". But it's like throwing some of the more intense music I listen to at someone with no warning or ramp up; it's hard to jump on board and grok what's happening.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2022, 12:32:24 PM »
Yeah, I pretty much figured that's when she bailed. We did laugh at that, it was just so frenetic and frazzled during and after.

I'm a big fan of Rick & Morty which has a lot of that stuff and even weirder, but it's easier to handle in cartoon form.

I might try finishing it at some point, it was just too much at once. Maybe knowing a bit more what it is will help. So don't get me wrong - I can see that there's "something there". But it's like throwing some of the more intense music I listen to at someone with no warning or ramp up; it's hard to jump on board and grok what's happening.
Give it another shot...the payoff is worth it. One thing the movie does is make you think, that's for sure. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal