The Northman (UHD Blu-ray) review

The Northman (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 19, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »

Studio: Focus Features
Release Date: June 7, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 2/5

Plot
After witnessing the murder of his father, a Viking prince devotes his life to avenge his father’s death, save his mother and reclaim his kingdom.

My Thoughts
I received this film a bit late from the studio so it’s already in stores and on streaming services. Regardless of being late, it was something I was looking forward to seeing. The film is directed by Robert Eggers, who is supposed to be some sort of visionary director, but I have yet see his previous efforts (The Witch and The Lighthouse). After trudging through this one, I doubt I’ll seek those other films out because this was hard to get through.

My kids were in town for a visit and we all sat down to watch this and within the first 15 minutes, I was the only one who wanted to continue (begrudgingly). So sure enough, we stopped the movie and put in something more light-hearted, and I had to watch the film by myself at a later date. After the experience, I wish I would have just passed.

My biggest gripe with the film is the lack of dialog intelligibility—many of the actors are mumbling and whispering their heavily accented lines. Furthermore, the screenplay seems to meander off course multiple times throughout its 137-minute runtime that don’t really make sense to the overall screenplay. Finally, the film is extremely violent—I get it, it’s about Vikings, who are some of the most ruthless warriors in history, but it could have been tamed down a bit. Ultimately, I felt like I wasted my time and couldn’t get invested in the story and about half-way in I couldn’t wait for it to end.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Deleted and Extended Scenes
  • An Ageless Epic feathurette
  • The Faces of Vikings
  • Feature Commentary
  • Amleth’s Journey to Manhood
  • Shooting the Raid
  • Knattleikr Game
  • A Norse Landscape
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Maybe my expectations were too high for this one going in and it couldn’t meet that high bar? Who knows? Regardless, I can’t say I enjoyed sitting through this one bit. Yes, the presentation is quite good and the 4K presentation highlights the above-average cinematography, but the story itself left a lot to be desired. Caveat emptor.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Dual JL Audio F-110 (stacked and treated as one sub)
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: The Northman (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 11:56:49 AM »
I would have said without even seeing this movie that it's not your cup of tea David. I am looking forward to seeing it eventually.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 04:36:27 PM »
This movie could have been really interesting, but it's so straightforward that it's a big of a slog to sit through.  There just isn't much interesting going on, and for a Robert Eggers movie, there aren't any weird or bizarre twists.  

Disappointing, considering the time period and what could have been done with it.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 07:33:28 PM »
This movie could have been really interesting, but it's so straightforward that it's a big of a slog to sit through.  There just isn't much interesting going on, and for a Robert Eggers movie, there aren't any weird or bizarre twists. 

Disappointing, considering the time period and what could have been done with it.

Scott
Slog through is a very good description. I had slog up to my ears ;)

Thanks for chiming in. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 02:57:13 PM »
dont know if it is was mood or what but i started watching this last week and had to turn it off rather quickly.  
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 04:10:39 PM »
This was on my radar because I've been watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, which treads similar territory. I have really enjoyed TLK overall but sounds like this isn't nearly as engaging a watch, sadly. 

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 04:35:03 PM »
This was on my radar because I've been watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, which treads similar territory. I have really enjoyed TLK overall but sounds like this isn't nearly as engaging a watch, sadly.
The one quickly lost interest for me in the first act...If I wasn't reviewing it, I would have shut it off. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 06:39:21 PM »
I have it ready to watch - maybe next week. I'll chime in afterwards. It does have 89% at Rotten Tomatoes, and was recommended by a movie loving friend, so we will see - The Northman - Rotten Tomatoes

just because David didn't like doesn't mean it isn't good. I have no interest in any animated movie ( cartoons ) and would give them all 0 out of 5 stars - that includes Frozen, Lion King, Toy Story - all of them. I'm not 5 years old. You have to take some ratings around here with a grain of salt. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 06:48:33 PM by AVSCraig »

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 07:47:56 PM »
I have it ready to watch - maybe next week. I'll chime in afterwards. It does have 89% at Rotten Tomatoes, and was recommended by a movie loving friend, so we will see - The Northman - Rotten Tomatoes

just because David didn't like doesn't mean it isn't good. I have no interest in any animated movie ( cartoons ) and would give them all 0 out of 5 stars - that includes Frozen, Lion King, Toy Story - all of them. I'm not 5 years old. You have to take some ratings around here with a grain of salt.
How can you not like Toy Story, or better yet, Toy Story 2? Those are great movies that just happen to be animated. Somehow I think Craig is actually one of these guys:

Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 07:32:51 AM »
The one quickly lost interest for me in the first act...If I wasn't reviewing it, I would have shut it off.
Yup I don’t turn many movies off. This was one of them. Yuck
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 06:05:04 PM »
Watched this last night with 3 friends. Loved it - Norse mythology wrapped in a violent art film. I didn't know the story of The Northman was based primarily on the legend of Amleth as written by Danish historian Saxo Grammaticus, known as the direct inspiration for William Shakespeare's Hamlet ( The Northman - Wikipedia ). 

The cinematography was amazing, as was the soundtrack. I had no problem with dialog 99 % of the time. All three friends liked it. I'll definitely watch this again. It is a " slow burn " movie though. But certainly not the only slow burn thriller in my collection. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal