AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Does Your Video Projector Double as a Space Heater?

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Does Your Video Projector Double as a Space Heater?
« on: June 09, 2022, 11:58:20 AM »
For those of you out there with a smaller theater/media room (like me), what are you doing to keep the projector from heating up the room like a dry sauna (especially in the summer months)? I understand that rooms that are a separate heating/cooling zone don't have this problem. Are most of you ducting the exhaust from the projector out of the room somehow? I notice that after a couple of hours watching a movie, the room gets really warm (almost uncomfortable) from the projector exhaust.

Just curious as to what the best remedy might be.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Does Your Video Projector Double as a Space Heater?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
For those of you out there with a smaller theater/media room (like me), what are you doing to keep the projector from heating up the room like a dry sauna (especially in the summer months)? I understand that rooms that are a separate heating/cooling zone don't have this problem. Are most of you ducting the exhaust from the projector out of the room somehow? I notice that after a couple of hours watching a movie, the room gets really warm (almost uncomfortable) from the projector exhaust.

Just curious as to what the best remedy might be.
At the least you could turn just the fan on your A/C system on, to move air out of that room.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 05:55:58 PM »
I have the same problem, but it's really only an issue in summer.

After about two or three hours in the theater room the temp goes up about four degrees.  It levels off after that, and will only go up about another degree or two over the following two to four hours.

We keep our indoor temp at 68 degrees in winter, so that's not an issue.  But in summer it can get close to 80 degrees, which is uncomfortable.  

We have a whole-house air exchanger, so air is constantly moving in and out of the room, but that's only of limited value.  It's also a bit on the loud side, so I turn it down to low speed during movie watching.  The exhaust grill is directly above the projector, so that may help a bit.

There's always the option of a ductless air conditioner.  They're supposed to be quite and non-intrusive.

Scott

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »
I have never noticed this in my theater. But I also have heat/AC ducts in the theater. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up