Blacklight (Blu-ray) review

Blacklight (Blu-ray) review
« on: May 03, 2022, 06:12:03 PM »

Studio: Universal
 Release Date: May 3, 2022
 Rating: PG-13
 Film:  2/5

Plot
 Travis Block (Liam Neeson) lives and fights in the shadows. A freelance government “fixer,” Block is a dangerous man whose assignments have included extracting agents out of deep-cover situations. He knows his hands are dirty, but he’s aiming to change. When an agent is killed after infiltrating a group espousing violent societal upheaval, Block discovers a shadowy program called Operation Unity is striking down ordinary citizens for reasons known only to Block’s boss, FBI chief Robinson (Aidan Quinn). As Block gets closer to the truth, he enlists the help of a journalist (Emmy Raver-Lampman), but his past and present collide when his daughter and granddaughter are threatened, and in saving them, he could save himself. Now, Block needs to rescue the people he loves and expose the truth for a shot at redemption.

My Thoughts
Liam Neeson film plot lines have become very one-dimensional of late. He plays the hero who’s just trying to make the world a better place, he finds a wrong that needs righting, he then starts kicking-ass and taking names, and there’s a happy ending. Then like the shampoo bottle tells you, lather, rinse, repeat and he’s off to the next project to do the exact same thing again.

What’s sad in this case is the concept had the potential to be quite good. Unfortunately, the script is a bit weak, and the dialog can be somewhat cringe-inducing. Overall, it was somewhat entertaining if you’re a fan of Neeson’s other films, but it’s far from original and at some point his fans will stop putting down their hard-earned cash to watch the same movie over and over again.  

On the plus side, the presentation is solid in both the audio and video departments—as most films are these days—so there are no complaints there.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:
  • Blacklight: Behind the Scenes
  • Shooting Blacklight
  • Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Cod

Conclusion
 Overall, this one is a miss, even for a Neeson revenge flick. The dialog is a bit too weak and while the concept had some merit, the execution was lacking. If you don’t mind the repetitive plot from his previous projects, you’ll probably get something out of it, but it won’t be up for any Academy Awards, that’s for sure.       

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
JL Audio F110 (X2 co-located and bridged as one sub)
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Blacklight (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:18:10 PM »

What’s sad in this case is the concept had the potential to be quite good. Unfortunately, the script is a bit weak, and the dialog can be somewhat cringe-inducing. 
Sadly that sums up the last Neeson movie I saw a couple of years ago too, and I assume a few others in that cookie cutter tin.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:50:44 PM »
Sadly that sums up the last Neeson movie I saw a couple of years ago too, and I assume a few others in that cookie cutter tin.
I've been a fan of his, but the act is starting to wear thin. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
I have been wanting to watch " Taken " again, especially since I haven't watched any of these cookie cutter sequels since Taken. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 01:30:09 AM »
I have been wanting to watch " Taken " again, especially since I haven't watched any of these cookie cutter sequels since Taken.
Let's just say he's put those certain set of skills to good use.....over and over again :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19:41 AM »
Agreed. Very meh
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 02:11:56 PM »
I need to watch Taken again as well. I also need to re-watch The Professional with Jean Reno and The Mechanic with Jason Statham.
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 02:43:01 PM »
I need to watch Taken again as well. I also need to re-watch The Professional with Jean Reno and The Mechanic with Jason Statham.
Leon:The Professional is one of my favorite films - at least the International Cut. Don't watch the US Theatrical Version. 

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 11:06:28 AM »
Leon:The Professional is one of my favorite films - at least the International Cut. Don't watch the US Theatrical Version.
Greetings,

Totally agree Craig. As for this film, Dave and I are on the same page..

Regards,

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 11:00:02 PM »
We watched this one on Amazon Prime tonight, and I'm in complete agreement with you, David.

Although I will say that Neeson is in incredible shape for a guy approaching 70 at the time this was filmed.  Even so, it does look like age is taking its toll on his ability to star in these types of films.  He looked a bit winded in the chase scenes, and its straining credibility for him to kick the butts of 30-year-olds in fair fist fights.

He's such a good character actor that it's a big disappointment to see him get offered roles in such poorly plotted movies.  I'd like to see him take on a more mentorlike role in some of these movies, or maybe a mastermind evil genius.  Just something a little different from everything he's done in the last decade.

This one is for the Neeson diehard fans only, I'm afraid.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 01:43:00 AM »
We watched this one on Amazon Prime tonight, and I'm in complete agreement with you, David.

Although I will say that Neeson is in incredible shape for a guy approaching 70 at the time this was filmed.  Even so, it does look like age is taking its toll on his ability to star in these types of films.  He looked a bit winded in the chase scenes, and its straining credibility for him to kick the butts of 30-year-olds in fair fist fights.

He's such a good character actor that it's a big disappointment to see him get offered roles in such poorly plotted movies.  I'd like to see him take on a more mentorlike role in some of these movies, or maybe a mastermind evil genius.  Just something a little different from everything he's done in the last decade.

This one is for the Neeson diehard fans only, I'm afraid.

Scott
Scott,

What's so funny is I had to go back and read my review because this one quickly left my mind. I guess it's why it's called "mindless entertainment!" Either that or I'm getting too old :)

I totally agree with you on him being more selective with his roles, but in all honesty, if he's getting paid a few million dollars for a month or two of work for these cookie cutter roles, he's laughing all the way to the bank. His heirs will thank him ;)
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
It's like Liam Neeson just ran with being totally stereotyped in this type of role. 

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal