Spider-Man - No Way Home (UHD) review

Spider-Man - No Way Home (UHD) review
« on: April 19, 2022, 11:56:03 AM »

Studio: Sony
Release Date: April 12, 2022
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
For the first time in the cinematic history of Spider-Man, our friendly neighborhood hero's identity is revealed, bringing his Super Hero responsibilities into conflict with his normal life and putting those he cares about most at risk. When he enlists Doctor Strange’s help to restore his secret, the spell tears a hole in their world, releasing the most powerful villains who’ve ever fought a Spider-Man in any universe. Now, Peter will have to overcome his greatest challenge yet, which will not only forever alter his own future but the future of the Multiverse.

My Thoughts
Tom Holland is the third Spider-Man we’ve seen in the past 20 or so years and in my opinion, he’s the best one. While Maguire and Garfield each had their positive attributes in their respective roles, Holland’s portrayal seems more genuine and innocent. Furthermore, he’s so damn likable as a person—he seems to really enjoy the role and it definitely comes across on camera.

While this is the third standalone film for Holland’s Spider-Man, we’ve seen the character in other Marvel movies such as Civil War and The Avengers two-part conclusion. Another member of the Avengers makes an appearance which is integral to the plot in the form of Doctor Strange, who first met Spider-Man in Infinity War (which included a pretty funny exchange between the two). Strange won’t be the only surprise appearance in the film as the Multiverse comes into play. Villains and heroes will appear from throughout the Multiverse before this one is over and I have to say, it’s one hell of a ride.

While the movie isn’t perfect, it’s pretty close. It’s exciting, emotional, and has a few surprises up its sleave to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout its 148-minute runtime.

The presentation is top-notch in both the audio and video department. The 4K presentation shines from beginning to end and the Dolby Atmos never disappoints. My only gripe with the audio would be for a tad more low end dynamics during the thrilling conclusion of the film, but I’m picking nits in this regard.

Video 9.5/10 (AVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Bloopers & Gag Reel
  • Action Choreography Across the Multiverse
  • A Spectacular Spider-Journey with Tom Holland
  • Realities Collide, Spiders Unite
  • Graduation Day
  • Enter Strange
  • Weaving Jon Watts’ Web
  • Alternate Reality Easter Eggs
  • A Multiverse of Miscreants
  • A Meeting of the Spiders – Heroes Panel
  • The Sinister Summit – Villains Panel
  • The Daily Bugle
  • Stunt Scene Pre-Vis
  • Theatrical Marketing Materials
  • Previews
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
In all honesty, I’ve enjoyed most of the Spider-Man films going all the way back to Maguire, but the Holland trilogy is my favorite of the bunch due to his performances. His on and off-screen persona is very likable, and I’m drawn into his performance. As a film, this one works extremely well and while long, never feels that way. The excellent presentation on UHD is an added plus. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
SVS SB 3000
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
M&K Sound X15+ Subwoofer
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Spider-Man - No Way Home (UHD) review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 01:18:46 PM »
I've got this one the way - can't wait! Thanks for the review David. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 01:38:57 PM »
I've got this one the way - can't wait! Thanks for the review David.
Barry reviewed it as well...I forgot to include his thoughts. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 01:40:33 PM »
Here are Barry's thoughts on seeing it in the theater:

Spider-Man  No Way Home: Non-spoiler Review

Movies such as this and “No Time To Die” that actually show the progression of characters are difficult to write non-spoiler reviews because there is a lot to give away and I want to give away nothing.

Beginning in the year 2000 I enjoyed the first two Spider-Man movies, but I was not a fan of the five that followed. Simply, No Way Home is one of the best, if  not the best, movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  The cast, the entire cast, has matured in their roles and have fully realized their characters in a very mature and insightful ways.  (And I cannot tell you the cast.)

Yes, the acting is good and so is the direction, but the writing is exceptional and respectful. In fact, the more you know about Spider-Man the more you will enjoy the movie.

I saw it in a Dolby theatre and the images were great as well as the audio.

The movie opens with a “typical” 30 minutes placing you in the familiar Marvel Universe of the last two movies. Well, actually last five movies if you count Captain America Civil War and the last Avengers movies. And then Dr. Strange, played by Benedict Cumberbatch enters. He is just wonderful and has a great sense of humor. And you might want to know that Dr. Strange, a man of magic, and Spider-Man, a man of science, were BOTH created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.

And then just sit back and enjoy. Never have I seen so much respect, from writers and directors, for their characters. I loved it.

And there are two scenes in the credits that actually add to the story.

PS: Taschen, an art publishing company, has put out a $200 book on Spider-Man.  I am a contributor.  I put up a picture of them taking a picture of Spider-Man #1 at my house. That appears on this cover.

Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 04:55:05 PM »
Was outstanding. One of the best all around pics in quite some time. Including picture and sound. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »
Saw this in the theater and I agree, awesome movie. Great movie to have. Highly recommended.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 09:49:42 PM »
I think I may have hit a certain age and turned into a curmudgeon, but I did not enjoy this movie.

For background, I've been a huge Spider-Man fan since the mid-70s, but stopped collecting about a decade ago.  Still have all my old copies, though.  And while Holland is my favorite actor in the role, almost looking like he could have stepped out of a Romita issue if he had a slightly squarer jaw, I just can't associate the characters in these three movies with the Spider-Man in the comics.

First, there's the whole thing about him using all the Tony Stark technology.  That just isn't Peter Parker, who was inventive and resourceful enough to come up with his own stuff.  Giving him a suit with extra spider arms may (or may not) have been some kind of homage to the classic issues 100-102, but making them mechanical and from someone else just diminishes the imaginative element of the original story, and undercuts the independence of the original character.

Secondly, there's the issue of all the supporting characters.  These just simply aren't representative of the original comics.  MJ is not MJ Ned Leeds certainly isn't Ned Leeds.  Flash Thompson goes from high school super jock to super nerd?  And all three of them are brainiacs now?  And then there's Aunt May?  Oh, my!

I don't have anything against the actors, or even their portrayals.  But if they're going to stray this far from the originals, why not just dump them, and come up with completely new, unrelated characters?  It's less jarring for the fans, and non-fans wouldn't give a rip at all about their names.

Then there's the whole multi-verse concept.  So on one hand, I can write off all the changes to this Spider-Man because it's a different version from the multi-verse.  But then why should I care?  I guess there's some sense of importance, since this is the version that coexists with the rest of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it's not one that connects to the comic book version of the characters that I grew up with.

OK, beyond all that, I found the movie to be plodding, too much time spent on the side characters, dumb decisions being made by Peter.  And regarding the whole, people will forget who you are, what happens to all the physical evidence that was left behind? Dr. Strange makes it sound like it's peoples memories will be affected (a la Men in Black's neuralyzers), but what about all of the paper that's left behind?  Photos, school records, birth certificates, etc.  Have those all been made to disappear?  If so, how does he blend back into society?  Will he live on the outskirts, off of any official books, as would an illegal alien? 

Or do his records still exist, but people just don't recall him?

This is one of the problems with so many of today's movie series.  A dramatic development at the end of a movie (Peter's identity being exposed), and then a half-baked way of getting around it is introduced, essentially rendering the earlier piece of drama moot, so we're back to square one.  Or even short of square one in this case.

I was really looking forward to this one, given the nearly universal praise it received, but just couldn't connect to it on either a fan level, or even just a movie watcher.

Oh well, I guess it kind of sucks to get old and cynical, but so be it.

At least it sounded great.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 01:13:34 AM »
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I never read the co ics, which may have been a blessing. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 11:09:26 AM »
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I never read the co ics, which may have been a blessing.
I've never read ANY comics, other than a couple of issues of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers while totally buzzed in high school. I doubt they will ever make any movies based on those comics! 8)
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Barry

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
 Scott:
If you are old and cynical, I am a member of your club.  I felt EXACTLY and COMPLETELY the way you do about the first two Spider-Man “Home” movies.  Precisely and I could not say it better.  (I also thought the same about the first two Thor movies.)

DC introduced the multi-verse in “The Flash of Two Worlds” in 1964 to explain the difference between the characters they introduced in the 1940s and cancelled in the 1950s and the new characters with the same names in the 1960s.  It was great fun to read, until they went nuts with it, expanding two worlds to a zillion.
Marvel entered their multiverse in 1975 with “What If.” In both cases, DC and Marvel used the multiverse to subvert their own continuity….characters came and went, could die and come back and nothing was consistent. 
I started reading Spidey since his beginnings (and still have those comics) but gave up in 1976.

I, however, did enjoy this movie because it neatly, I felt, tied together to two other editions of Spider-Man, which neither of which reached a good ending. To me, it was like “A Flash of Two Worlds” explaining the differences.

One other point: In all Super-Hero movies, especially with Dr. Strange with  his brand of magic, you cannot look for logic. You wrote, “…but what about all of the paper that's left behind?  Photos, school records, birth certificates, etc.” Well, if you believe that a men can shoot webs, climb on walls, fly omni walls, and distort time, school records would be no problem!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal