AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement

AVSJeff

• JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, Martin Logan & more.
  • THX Certified Home Theater Designer
Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
« on: April 06, 2022, 12:46:36 PM »
I'm curious...... how many of you enthusiasts out there do research on room acoustics before placing your subwoofers (and other speakers) in the listening area? Do any of you analyze where the 'standing waves' occur based on the room dimensions? I'm specifically not talking about room eq, but where the nulls occur.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:48:51 PM by AVSJeff »
Jeff Ripplinger
AV Science Sales
303-919-5775

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Stewart, Screen Science, Seymour, Martin Logan, SVS, Triad and more

Re: Home Theater/Media Room Subwoofer Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm curious...... how many of you enthusiasts out there do research on room acoustics before placing your subwoofers (and other speakers) in the listening area? Do any of you analyze where the 'standing waves' occur based on the room dimensions? I'm specifically not talking about room eq, but where the nulls occur.
If I had a dedicated room, this is the process I would take (I have read up on room acoustics). In my multipurpose room, I've done my best and know the "no no" spots to place a subwoofer based upon REW readings, but the very best spot in the room for a sub is off limits because it's right in the middle of a walkway. Needless to say, I lost the argument to place the sub there..."But honey, look at this frequency response...see how flat it is without any EQ applied." She didn't even respond, but I got the Jada Smith look that made Will do some crazy a$$ shit at the Oscars ;)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 01:14:15 PM »
yes of course...even when my HT was in my living room I chose the "best available" slot.  did the sub crawl....then picked the best possible slot..the rest was EQ

cool thing with REW is the speaker placement predictor is quite accurate.  so thats what I used for my current HT with GREAT results

good thing is the more subs you have the less important placement becomes assuming they arent co-located
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 03:36:47 PM »
Sort of, but what if the subs can only go in a couple of places regardless? I did find adding subs in all 4 quadrants pretty much evened everything out bass wise. But I was still limited where the subs could go. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal