AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Lucy and Desi: A Documentary on Amazon

Barry

Lucy and Desi: A Documentary on Amazon
« on: March 05, 2022, 07:37:06 PM »
Perhaps we need to add a new topic in this category, "Movies on Streaming"

This is a review of the Lucy-Desi DOCUMENTARY, directed by Amy Poehler which is now appearing on Amazon Prime.  Please do not confuse this with the movie that was released a few months ago.

Theis was an interesting and compelling documentary that was made with obvious cooperation with the families of Lucy and Desi.  It is mostly told using their actual voices of Lucy and Desi in audio tapes that they ad made over the passing of time. Of course, there are also bits and pieces from TV  interviews.

Not just the children give their memories, but a few celebrities that knew them do also such as Charo and Carol Burnett

Unlike the recent movie, the story here is told in chronological order being with the early years of the pair and Desi’s escape from the Cuban revolution. In incredibly and surprisingly sharp film images are famous scenes and many not so famous scenes from their lives.

I was surprised to learn that both remarried and had second marriages that lasted over 25 years. And they still cared about each other to the very end..

Not discussed at any point was Desi’s extra material activities. But since we know about them we kind of didn’t need the documentary to dwell on it.

This was a very interesting and gentle 90 minutes, not about celebrities as much as it was about a family. Highly recommended. 

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Lucy and Desi: A Documentary on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 08:35:07 PM »
Barry,

I've skipped watching the movie based upon your review. This one I'll have to check out though...looks extremely interesting. I grew up watching reruns of "I Love Lucy" and never realized how talented she was until I was much older. Definitely a comedic genius and one hell of a business lady too! 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Lucy and Desi: A Documentary on Amazon
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 06:43:43 AM »
Love I love Lucy

Yes the movie was forgettable. Will have to check this out 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4)