AVS Discussions
  Go Down

The original Spider-Man Trilogy in Atmos and 4K

Barry

« on: February 24, 2022, 11:36:30 AM »

Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3, starring Tobey McGuire have just been released in 4k and Dolby sound, with remarkable results.

As you know I am a Marvel guy and here is a secret. REALLY!  The Smithsonian has the original artwork to the first Spider-Man story, which appeared in a comic entitled Amazing Fantasy #15.  Marvel will be reprinting it using the original artwork. But they did NOT have a copy of the comic and therefore no copy of the color cover.  So they asked me to scan in mine and send it to them!

Spider-Man 1 was first released 20 years ago. I won’t go on because most of us have seen it by now. The movie was not just about fights and villains but about characterization. We saw Peter Parker get his powers, lose his uncle and his girlfriend. The Green Goblin, played by William Defoe was just a great performance. It was a very good movie.

Although not made by the Marvel Universe People, this movie and the X-Men (from Fox) started the super-hero movie craze that is still with us.

Spider-Man 2 was, in my opinion the best until the latest one.  Alfred Molina was great as Doc Ock and was again the movie developed its characters.

Spider-Man 3 was a complete letdown and ended the first series.  They forgot everything they learned in the first two movies ands overloaded this one with villains.

I give this brief take o three movies in order to discuss how they look and sound on their new 4K release of all three movies. Thy look and sound terrific. The visuals are just great and the sound is terrific. They often “overload” the audio on these movies but not here.  It is great looking and sounding.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: The original Spider-Man Trilogy in Atmos and 4K
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »
Thanks Barry. I greatly enjoyed the series and I must say the latest Spider-man No way Home was the best.. Great ending to the franchise..

I am looking forward to the Spider-man across the spider-verse movies...

Hopefully they will be just as good.
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

Re: The original Spider-Man Trilogy in Atmos and 4K
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 09:32:12 PM »
You aren’t kidding. Watching these with my son. The atmos is amazing. Some of the best I’ve ever heard

The image while inconsistent has its strong points as well. Impressed 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player