The King's Man (4K UHD Blu-ray) review

The King's Man (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 20, 2022, 09:09:48 PM »

Studio: 20th Century Studios
Release Date: February 22, 2022
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Set during WWI, The King’s Man tells the exhilarating origin story of Kingsman, the world’s very first independent intelligence agency. As a collection of history’s worst tyrants and criminal masterminds gather to plot a war to wipe out millions across the globe, one man must race against time to stop them.

My Thoughts
I had only seen the first Kingmen film and never got around to watching the second. Good thing this is a prequel and not seeing the middle film has no effect on the enjoyment of this one.

Regardless, the film is an origin story for the organization and goes back to roughly 12 years before World War I to set the story up, but the majority of the film deals with the happenings right before the war starts and the various leaders’ reactions to world politics. In certain respects, I like this film a lot more than the first. The story has more dramatic heft and there are a few surprises along the way that I didn’t expect at all—prepared to be stunned. My one gripe is the scene with Rasputin, which went a bit too far with its sexual innuendo, but I’m really splitting hairs in this regard. Ralph Fiennes is excellent in the lead, but I really wish we would have seen more of Gemma Arterton, who plays the nanny and she steal every scene she’s in.

The video presentation is fantastic and shines in 4K. Shadows are inky and deep, bright highlights can be at times, blinding, and the resolution is off the charts. Sadly, the Atmos track doesn’t quite live-up to the best mixes out there. Don’t get me wrong, there are times when this sounds amazing, but the use of the overhead effects is virtually non-existent, and the immersive factor just isn’t there. Positives are the dynamics and LFE are top-shelf and dialog is always intelligible.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

·        The King’s Man: The Great Game Begins Documentary (6 parts)
·        No Man’s Land
·        Remembrance and Finding Purpose
·        4K + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
Overall, I liked this film more than I probably should have, but it really makes me want to see the second one even though I have heard it isn’t that great. Regardless, if you’re a fan of the franchise or even a newcomer that likes a good action movie, then definitely check this out. Recommended.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD  controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: The King's Man (4K UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
LOVE the first one
Meh second one
Liked this one

Thanks for the review
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »
I can't wait for my copy to arrive - thanks David. I did like the 2nd one - Elton John is funny, and it has some funny moments. Not as good as the 1st one, but I plan on a Kingsman week now with all 3! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »
LOVE the first one
Meh second one
Liked this one

Thanks for the review
I've been tempted to pick up the second one a few times, but just haven't pulled the trigger. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 11:35:37 AM »
I can't wait for my copy to arrive - thanks David. I did like the 2nd one - Elton John is funny, and it has some funny moments. Not as good as the 1st one, but I plan on a Kingsman week now with all 3!
Sounds like fun. Are you back to 100% now?
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »
Sounds like fun. Are you back to 100% now?
Ya, I'm back to normal just in time for my 66th birthday this week!

Spoiler alert - get yourself some burgers to enjoy while watching the 2nd one! And some bourbon. 

bmoney

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »
Ya, I'm back to normal just in time for my 66th birthday this week!

Spoiler alert - get yourself some burgers to enjoy while watching the 2nd one! And some bourbon.
:-X

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 02:15:08 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave! I agree that this one is fun but, not as well rounded as the first film. I like the second one and would probably place this one in the same vein.

Regards,

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 07:10:47 PM »
Greetings,

Nice review Dave! I agree that this one is fun but, not as well rounded as the first film. I like the second one and would probably place this one in the same vein.

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I still haven't seen the second...I will someday :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

claw

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 08:49:50 PM »
I prefer the first film over both. This one better than the second.

Gemma Arterton is a scene stealer in every film she is in.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:06:28 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 09:35:03 PM »
I prefer the first film over both. This one better than the second.

Gemma Arterton is a scene stealer in every film she is in.
Totally agree about Gemma...she was amazing. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 11:50:51 PM »
Saw this tonight, though on HBO Max so not the best source but given David's comments about the middling audio mix on disc, it doesn't seem like I missed much there.

I was a little underwhelmed. Agree on Ms. Atherton, and the 3rd act was pretty fun but overall it felt unfocused and a bit poorly written. The Rasputin stuff was just over the top in a bad way to me, which I guess is par to have some of that in most movies today. The Cossack dance fight was visually fun though. The story just didn't pull me in and I wasn't sure what the movie was about or trying to do - I felt it needed to be tightened up narratively. 2.5 for me.

AVSCraig

• AV Science, Inc
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 08:53:19 PM »
Watched this a week ago - a good " fractured fairy tale " of history. Liked it a lot, but need to watch it again. Then watched the original Kingsman movie the next night, and the Golden Circle the 3rd night. Liked then all and everyone enjoyed The Golden Circle more the 2nd time around. Also, served wine with the first one, a flight of single malt with the 2nd ( original ) one and a flight of bourbon with The Golden Circle - which seemed appropriate! 

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 09:45:54 PM »
Watched the third one this weekend, and we've enjoyed all three equally.  The inuendo is over-the-top and unnecessary, but also par for the course with all of these.  I particularly enjoyed the weaving of history into the story, and how they tied everything together.  It will be interesting if they decide to do a Hitler version for the next movie.

Regarding the second one, I think it's worth viewing just to see Pedro Pascal channeling Burt Reynolds.  

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

bmoney

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 07:12:28 AM »
Watched the third one this weekend, and we've enjoyed all three equally.  The inuendo is over-the-top and unnecessary, but also par for the course with all of these.  I particularly enjoyed the weaving of history into the story, and how they tied everything together.  It will be interesting if they decide to do a Hitler version for the next movie.

Regarding the second one, I think it's worth viewing just to see Pedro Pascal channeling Burt Reynolds. 

Scott
I watched Smokey and the bandit a few months back. And it’s uncanny how much they are alike 

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up