AVS Discussions
  Go Down

How I blackened my home theater with triple black velvet.

How I blackened my home theater with triple black velvet.
« on: February 05, 2022, 05:15:09 PM »
The latest video showcasing my mindset on what I originally wanted to do with my home theater plans vs what I had to do to honor the film-makers vision using triple black velvet!

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: How I blackened my home theater with triple black velvet.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 06:01:43 PM »
Very cool project and a super nice-looking home theater. I learned years ago that all black isn't black and the same goes for white paint.

I have a fair amount of light spill on my ceiling and was considering painting it black. I don't think I can do panels as I have a grid ceiling made on 2'x2' panels. I suppose I'll paint both the panels and grid at some point.

As for paint, David Vaughn painted his ceiling black and is in the industry. I'll have to look back at his suggestion unless he sees this and comments.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 06:38:35 PM »
Very nice. 

Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue? 

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 08:01:04 PM »
Very nice.

Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue?

I'm sure there is a difference with the panels but I haven't felt it to be negative. 

Barry

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
Let me tell you how I blackened my media room, as seen here.

1. I did paint the room black.
2. I took cardboard from boxes and placed them in the windows. I then used black tape around their perimeter.  
3. I then go good looking, but relatively inexpensive black curtains

I actually did this temporarily util I got either a more expensive solution or a more technical one. But it works perfectly and was very affordable.   

The second picture is very old and does not have more recent equipment or layout, but shows the window.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 07:11:35 AM »
Very nice.

Question - I would think velvet fabric covered panels would have a different acoustic signature than painted walls. Did you find that to be an issue?
💯 will be a difference. It will attenuate to some degree the reflection of sound. Now how much is the question. You would need to measure but I would assume no enough to make a discernible difference. Not like adding carpet etc. but anything on the walls that isn’t a hard surface will cut down on the clap effect
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up