The Many Saints of Newark (Blu-ray) review

The Many Saints of Newark (Blu-ray) review
« on: December 23, 2021, 11:37:32 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: December 21, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Young Anthony Soprano (Michael Gandolfini) is growing up in one of the most tumultuous eras in Newark’s history, becoming a man just as rival gangsters begin to rise up and challenge the all-powerful DiMeo crime family’s hold over the increasingly race-torn city. Caught up in the changing times is the uncle he idolizes, Dickie Moltisanti (Alessandro Nivola), who struggles to manage both his professional and personal responsibilities—and whose influence over his nephew will help make the impressionable teenager into the all-powerful mob boss we’ll later come to know: Tony Soprano.

My Thoughts
I watched The Sopranos during its run on HBO, but has been almost 15 years since I’ve watched it, so I went into this prequel expecting great things. AS a movie, it’s a decent endeavor and you don’t have to have seen the original series to enjoy it. My son and future son-in-law watched with me and neither have seen the TV show (yet), but generally like mob movies.

Our biggest collective gripe with the film is that there’s just too much going on as they throw a plethora of characters at you and the story doesn’t really get a chance to develop as one would expect. This would have been a great vehicle for a limited run series of possibly six or eight episodes to really dig into the characters and dive deep into Dickie’s influence on a young Tony. On the surface, it’s entertaining in its own way, but its somewhat shallow in its execution.

The film was finished with a 4K DI and I was disappointed that 4K copies weren’t available for review, but supply chain problems are impacting the studios as well. While the film was shot digitally, it was given a late 60s / early 70s look in post and the results are magnificent. Not to be outshined is the excellent Atmos track which provides clear and concise dialog, ample LFE (when needed), and great use of the rear and overhead soundstage.

Video 5/5 (AVC)

Audio 5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes
  • The Making of Newark
  • Sopranos Family Honor
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
I somewhat expected to be disappointed with this because the show its based on left some massive shoes to fill. While it doesn’t reach the level of the TV show, it has the ability to stand on its own as a decent mob film. For Christmas I asked for The Sopranos box set and plan to revisit the show in 2022 and I’ll be sure to go back and watch this film when I get through the classic show on Blu-ray. If you’re a longtime fan, then you’ll want to check this out, but go in with the right expectations and you’ll be entertained.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Barry

Re: The Many Saints of Newark (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 01:31:15 AM »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 07:51:29 AM »
Wow I def wouldn’t have been so generous with a score on this one. I disliked it 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 08:44:12 AM »
Wow I def wouldn’t have been so generous with a score on this one. I disliked it
Maybe you were in a bad mood :) Based off your thoughts I expected to not love it, but ended up enjoying myself.
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »
I reviewed it for us too
https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=3053.msg21699#msg21699
Thanks Barry. I liked it a bit more than you did but agree with many of your thoughts. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 09:13:37 AM »
I feel it was just another one of those oh yeah remember this? Or remember him? Type movies which have become way too common now. And that on it being a random BLM movie which made no sense tot the story 

Idk. I just feel like a lot of these movies are being written lazily 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 09:34:33 AM »
I feel it was just another one of those oh yeah remember this? Or remember him? Type movies which have become way too common now. And that on it being a random BLM movie which made no sense tot the story

Idk. I just feel like a lot of these movies are being written lazily
The race riots were a real thing in 1967 so I think the timing was used as a plot angle. Also, it provides a mystery to the ending (although we know the real story from The Sopranos). Again, not a great movie and a bit shallow, but it's watchable. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »
Greetings,

We are in agreement on this one Dave. It needed more room to better flesh out its various narrative elements but, manages to make for a watchable drama. Nice review..!

Regards,

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 10:50:13 PM »
Greetings,

We are in agreement on this one Dave. It needed more room to better flesh out its various narrative elements but, manages to make for a watchable drama. Nice review..!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. Merry Christmas!
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal