Cry Macho (Blu-ray) review

Cry Macho (Blu-ray) review
« on: December 16, 2021, 07:25:39 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: December 7, 2021
Rating: PG-13
Film: 2.5/5

Plot
In 1979, Mike Milo (Clint Eastwood), a one-time rodeo star and washed-up horse breeder, takes a job from an ex-boss (Dwight Yoakam) to bring the man’s young son (Eduardo Minett) home from Mexico. Forced to take the backroads on their way to Texas, the unlikely pair faces an unexpectedly challenging journey, during which the world-weary horseman finds unexpected connections and his own sense of redemption.

My Thoughts
I’ve loved Eastwood as an actor and director for most of my life and it’s been a pleasure to watch and enjoy his work for so many years, but I think his best storytelling and acting days are behind him. He’s had the rights to this story since the 1970s and unfortunately, he’s much too old to portray the character and it was more of a distraction with him starring. I really wonder if the film was made 20 years ago if I’d had felt the same way about the slow pacing and somewhat shallow screenplay? Regardless, this is far from his best work and is frankly a bit sad to see such an on-screen icon slow down so much.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Back in the Saddle: The Making of Cry Macho
  • Macho and the Mustangs
  • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
This is a film that Eastwood has wanted to make for years but never got around to it—probably because he had better scripts to work with. His best days as a director were between 20 and 30 years ago when he was nominated for multiple Oscars for project such as Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, and Letters from Iwo Jima. His last great film was American Sniper in 2014 and virtually everything since has been at best forgettable, and at worst, poorly executed. I would put this film in the latter category, which hurts me to write given my fondness for the man. Give it a rental first because I doubt this is something you’d want to endure more than once.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Cry Macho (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 07:26:34 PM »
Boring. Terrible acting. Just a train wreck. Too bad
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 07:56:09 PM »
" His last great film was American Sniper in 2014 and virtually everything since has been at best forgettable, and at worst, poorly executed. "

While I loved American Sniper, I also really liked Richard Jewel and The Mule. Both have respectable RT scores. I've watch both at least twice. 

The Mule - Rotten Tomatoes

Richard Jewel has a 96% audience score - Richard Jewell - Rotten Tomatoes

So I totally disagree. But this film doesn't interest me anyway, so it's a pass. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
" His last great film was American Sniper in 2014 and virtually everything since has been at best forgettable, and at worst, poorly executed. "

While I loved American Sniper, I also really liked Richard Jewel and The Mule. Both have respectable RT scores. I've watch both at least twice.

The Mule - Rotten Tomatoes

Richard Jewel has a 96% audience score - Richard Jewell - Rotten Tomatoes

So I totally disagree. But this film doesn't interest me anyway, so it's a pass.
I enjoyed Richard Jewell, but it is in a lower tier category compared to his Oscar-nominated films I listed. I didn't care for The Mule that much given the subject matter. To each their own :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 08:57:21 PM »
I didn’t mind the mule 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 09:11:46 PM »
Richard Jewell was at least entertaining due to Paul Walter Hauser's performance, which was excellent. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 10:54:21 PM »
Both movies were based on true stories, and I found them both interesting. I just re-watched " Flags Of Our Fathers " last week. Forgot how good that film was.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »
Greetings,

Count me in the camp of those that enjoyed The Mule and Richard Jewel. As for Cry Macho, I tried to watch it on HBO MAX and couldn't get through it. As I mentioned to Dave in conversation, Clint is simply too old to effectively portray the character and it kept taking me out of the film. I didn't bother to request for review.

I am still a fan but, it was painful to see him appearing so frail. Anyway...thanks for the review Dave!

Regards,

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:50:26 AM by Ralph P. »

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »
Greetings,

Count me in the camp of those that enjoyed The Mule and Richard Jewel. As for Cry Macho, I tried to watch it on HBO MAX and couldn't get through it. As I mentioned to Dave in conversation, Clint is simply too old and effective portray the character and it kept taking me out of the film. I didn't bother to request for review.

I am still a fan but, it was painful to see him appearing so frail. Anyway...thanks for the review Dave!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I just wish we had our conversation regarding the film BEFORE I put my request in. It would have saved a couple hours of my life to do something more enjoyable :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal