AVS Discussions
  Go Down

‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ a non spoiler review

Barry

‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ a non spoiler review
« on: October 04, 2021, 05:51:10 PM »

Venom is not really part of the Marvel Movie Universe.  Sony bought the rights to Spider-Man BEFORE Disney acquired the company.  However, after Sony failed to restart the franchise they did partner with Marvel for the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies, in exchange for Spidey being put into the Avengers movies.

In the comics, “Venom” a symbioete shared his body with Eddie Brock, was one of Spider-Man’s most well-known enemies whose stories took place in New York, not in San Francisco which they do in the movies. Carnage was a “clone” of Vemon, only more powerful. Venom also appeared in Spider-Man III. Here, Eddie is a good guy and Spider-Man is never mentioned. It is obvious that this in not part of the Marvel Universe.

If you liked the first movie, you will like this one.  If you didn’t see the first movie you may have a bit of trouble understanding what is going on. The movie, purposely does not redo the origin.  I liked the movie, but leaving your brains in the door may not be enough.  You may have to put it in a safety deposit box so Venom won’t eat it. The movie is silly fun and funny, with Tom Hardy starring as Eddie, but also talking to himself, often hilariously, as Venom. Michelle Williams plays Eddie’s former girlfriend and damsel in distress and in wonderful in that role. There are few speaking parts in the movie as it concentrates on the main characters.

The movies plot is so similar to many other super-hero movies, Superman II, Iron Man, Captain America Winter Soldier where they super-hero fights a version of himself.  Venom fights Carnage. And there seems room for a sequel. For what it is, a fun ride, I give 3.5 out of five stars. I saw it in an IMax Theatre and as great as that was, I now prefer a Dolby theatre.  Same good picture, but better sound and more comfortable seats. (But did not have an afternoon showing, Imax did)

And I have deliberately lied in this non-spoiler review. Stay through the credits. There is an extra scene that I am not telling you a thing about.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Re: ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ a non spoiler review
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »
Thanks for your review as always Barry.

I will check it out and it is always best to stay for the post credit production on marvel movies.

Never could understand why folks would leave prior to the end credit but then again, those that leave are not true marvel fans who know but members of the general audience who are just in it for the time being. lol. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

Re: ‘Venom: Let There Be Carnage’ a non spoiler review
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 01:18:41 PM »
looking forward to this one.  I really enjoyed the first one
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600