AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Krell Audio (And Video) No More

Barry

Krell Audio (And Video) No More
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:04:19 PM »
Krell: No More

I am writing this as a warning about Krell Audio. Let me explain:

Nearly 15 years ago, when Madrigal was bought over, I switched to Krell for my “Blu-Ray” and Dolby upgrades.  I got the Krell 707 processor, Cypher SACD player, their Phono preamp, their 5 channel amp (for my rears and backs) and three amps for the front.

For the first few years they were great. The two channel sound was terrific along with the surround.

Without getting into details, Krell’s owner left about a decade ago, leaving his newly divorced wife, who knew little about the business, and Asian investors in charge of the company.

Simply, my 707, over the last four years, has gone back to shop 7 or 8 times to be repaired and “updated.” The updating, to 4k and new Dolby DTS NEVER worked. The 4k update simply was an outsourced switcher and I got either the picture or sound from my 4k sources but never both. (Panasonic 4k player, Roku, apple, and Amazon.)  But it began to sound funny and I returned it for that and it came back not working at all. So it went back and forth until they said it was working. In fact they insisted it was all perfect.  Just not true.

I thought it was working.  I wanted to raise the treble and could not figure out how.  The head tech at Krell said to me, “No one here know how to use the 707 anymore.” He told me virtually all the techs had left. That they were mostly now a repair place. He also said Krell no longer makes their own parts or equipment, they will come from Asia. That includes their 4k Processor which he said will be out in two years.

Well, I traded it all in for my new stuff and discovered that the Krell was not fixed.  The dealer now has to pay hundreds of dollars for Krell to fix the 707.  Krell is not honoring my “warranty” on what I paid to fix it. (my new dealer and I have worked this out.)
The Cypher CD player was also shot.  I thought it was just the 707. The dealer wrote me today: Krell didn’t want to do an estimate on the Cipher because the parts are no longer made. It looks like it can’t be repaired. I guess that is why Krell got out of the CD player business.”

The Phono pre amp went back, twice to be fixed.  And so did my 5 channel amp, but they said they may not have the parts for it. (They did).

Don’t feel bad for me, this ordeal is over.  I love my new stuff, which not only sounds better then Krell, it sounds terrific and it is so much easier to use. I am not just happy, I am relieved.  

So avoid old or new Krell, they no longer have factory parts for their old or new parts.  I don’t think they have released a new model in years.

This site, especially David and Tracy, helped me decide on my new stuff and to get passed Krell.  You have my gratitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
Re: Krell Audio (And Video) No More
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 06:53:31 PM »
Krell was such a great company back in the early days. I loved their two-channel amps and preamps.

Such a shame they have dropped the ball on support for the legacy gear.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 08:38:00 PM »
Krell was such a great company back in the early days. I loved their two-channel amps and preamps.

Such a shame they have dropped the ball on support for the legacy gear.
When I reviewed their Foundation pre-amp, it was the best I had ever heard (until I got the Trinnov). They made great amps as well. 
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 10:08:52 PM »
Wow another one bites the dust
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 10:50:36 PM »
When I reviewed their Foundation pre-amp, it was the best I had ever heard (until I got the Trinnov). They made great amps as well.
I read several very positive reviews about the Foundation pre and the matching multi-channel amp. I almost went that route but ultimately went with the Anthem pre/pro.

Barry

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 11:58:10 PM »
The 707 add the foundation meant nothing to it. That meant two channel sound sounded terrific And was one of the reasons I bought it. The surroundsound was also terrific. The controls however were always very hard to use and even hard to find. Krill used very small buttons with very small lettering that usually lead to a menu rather than just an easy adjustment. But now they don’t even have the tools for the people to repair their past equipment. I didn’t mention this but I’m going to lose a lot of money on trade ins. My dealer was taking these but after examination they found too many problems.
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal