Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (UHD Blu-ray) review

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: August 05, 2021, 12:53:10 PM »

Studio: Lions Gate
Release Date: August 17, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3/5

Plot
The world’s most lethal odd couple – bodyguard Michael Bryce (Ryan Reynolds) and hit man Darius Kincaid (Samuel L. Jackson) – are back. Still unlicensed, Bryce is forced into action by Darius’s wife, the infamous international con artist Sonia Kincaid (Salma Hayek). As Bryce is driven over the edge by the volatile spouses, the trio get in over their heads in a global plot and soon find that they are all that stand between Europe and a vengeful and powerful madman (Antonio Banderas). Joining in the fun and deadly mayhem is Morgan Freeman as…well, you’ll have to see.

My Thoughts
For some strange reason I enjoyed the first movie mainly due to the two stars, so I had to give this second one a try. Is it as good as the first? No. Is it overly violent and crude? Absolutely. Did I have a good time watching it? Yes. Do I feel guilty for saying that? More than you know!

The plot isn’t very deep and is mainly there to give Reynolds and Jackson as much screen time together as possible. The pair play off each other extremely well and even though I find Hayek’s character way too crude and somewhat stupid, she provides a few laughs herself. One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when Jackson finally gets to meet Reynolds’ father—we had to rewind the scene because we were laughing so hard we missed some of the dialog.

Like the first film, this was shot in 2.4K but finished in 4K and the results look marvelous in UHD. The level of detail is off the charts in both close-ups and long shots. The European locations look amazing as you can see every intricate detail in the buildings and the color palette is to die for. My only gripe is the green screen scenes stick out a little bit, but this isn’t the fault of the encode.

The Atmos track is very good, but not the best it could be. Overhead effects are all but forgotten outside of the action scenes and the LFE while bombastic, could have provided a tad more thump below 25Hz.

Video 10/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Ryan, Sam, Salma: One F’d Up Family
• Gone Soft: The New Michael Bryce
• Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard: #stuntlife
• One the Set of Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard
• Gag Reel
• Theatrical Trailers
• UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
This is an over-the-top action/comedy that doesn’t hide its true intentions. It will have some crude and gross-out moments (due to splattering blood) and is wildly violent, but the humor makes up for this and even my wife enjoyed the film. Even though the film runs only 95 minutes, the third act does seem to take forever, but overall, it delivers the good—especially on the A/V front. Recommended for fans of the genre.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:49:47 PM by David Vaughn »
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
Sounds like fun. I haven't seen the first one, but I might need to consider adding these to my action comedy section! 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 01:24:11 PM »
Looking forward to part 2 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
Really like both of those leads - haven't seen the first so it's gotta go on the list!

Can't help but wonder if this gets extended into franchise silliness territory b/c with the family relationship tag in the title... how far do you go? "The Hitman's 2nd Cousin Once Removed's Bodyguard"? 

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 05:42:43 PM »
Really like both of those leads - haven't seen the first so it's gotta go on the list!

Can't help but wonder if this gets extended into franchise silliness territory b/c with the family relationship tag in the title... how far do you go? "The Hitman's 2nd Cousin Once Removed's Bodyguard"?
Wait until you see the ending of the second film...you have no idea what they can do with the title of the next one :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 11:03:52 PM »
This was great!  I loved it. Sound was outstanding! The bass with BEQ was incredible

The PQ was gorgeous as well. Very vibrant colors! 

Great fun

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 10:55:04 PM »
This was great!  I loved it. Sound was outstanding! The bass with BEQ was incredible

The PQ was gorgeous as well. Very vibrant colors!

Great fun
Glad you enjoyed it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSMike

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »
The first one was better, but I enjoyed both. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 10:14:15 AM »
The first one was better, but I enjoyed both. :)
I don't disagree. Both are mindless fun though :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 07:05:14 PM »
Agreed

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
Greetings,

The first remains in my collection but, I wouldn't say that I am a fan. I opted out of covering this one. Glad you enjoyed it Dave!

Regards,

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 05:48:40 PM »
Thanks to this review my wife and I gave both of these movies a spin, and they've ended up in our collection.

No, they're not Oscar-worthy, but that's not their intent.  

They are action-filled, goofy, and funny takes on the action genre that never takes itself seriously.  Every once in a while, it's fun to just sit back and enjoy a show, and this movie fits nicely that category.

For sure they're worth a rental, and you may even end up buying them.  The 4K discs both happen to be on sale right now, too.

Scott
My Room:  26’-1” X 17’-4” X 10’
Equipment:  Monolith HTP-1 feeding X7 and X9 amps, JVC RS3100, Elite Screens 135"", JBL Studio 590 for L, C, R, W, R, 580s for sides and four SCS8 for tops, JTR Captivator 1400 x 4, Panny DP-UB420K, Toshiba HD-A35. Nvidia Shield, Sonos Connect, MX-780 remote

See Youthman's actual tour of my room here: https://youtu.be/PHEaG2xKVhg

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal