Nobody (UHD Blu-ray) review

Nobody (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: June 29, 2021, 06:41:42 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: June 22, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
Hutch is a nobody. As an overlooked and underestimated father and husband, he takes life’s indignities on the chin and never rocks the boat. But when his daughter loses her beloved kitty-cat bracelet in a robbery, Hutch hits a boiling point no one knew he had. What happens when a pushover finally pushes back? Hutch flips from regular dad to fearless fighter by taking his enemies on a wild ride of explosive revenge.

My Thoughts
Bob Odenkirk’s work on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul has made me a fan of his work and I’ve been waiting for him to take center stage in a feature film. Along comes Nobody, where Odenkirk plays what is seemly a husband/father who is just going through the motions in life. He and his wife hardly speak, and his son think’s he’s a pussy. The only one who seems to show him any respect is his young daughter, and when she’s wronged it wakes up Hutch’s inner demon and he’s going to get more than his pound of flesh.

I really didn’t know what to expect from this, but I knew it would be violent since it was written by Derek Kostad—the man who gave us John Wick. My wife sat down with trepidation because she doesn’t take kindly to violent films, but she was a trooper to make it through the 90 minutes. In the end, she was glad she did because she enjoyed it as much as I did. There are plenty of LOL moments throughout the film to offset the violence and blood and the last act is executed to perfection.

The film was digitally shot in 6K but mastered at 2K. To fit the gritty nature of the story, film grain has been added to give it a more authentic look. Overall, the film looks as it should, but isn’t the prettiest 4K transfer you’ll see. There are a lot of nighttime shots, which feature good shadow detail, but the color palette is understated and looks a bit bland and flat.

The Dolby Atmos track really shines with excellent dynamics, ample LFE, and a kick-ass soundtrack featuring some golden oldies that have never sounded better. Gunshots ring true and strap yourself in for the third act because it’s full of action and mayhem.

Video 8/10

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Hutch Hits Hard
  • Breaking Down the Action
  • Just a Nobody
  • Two Feature commentaries
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Code

Conclusion
The film didn’t do much business at the box office due to Covid-19, but I hope it finds a cult following on home video / streaming so we can someday get a sequel. While the story is very far-fetched, the action is great, and I loved Odinkirk’s portrayal of the character. Recommended for action junkies.

Reference Review System:
JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High-Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
Trinnov Altitude 16 Audio/Video Processor
ATI AT527NC Powering Bed Channels
ATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
System Controller: URC MX-990
M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)
M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
JL Audio Dominion F110 Subwoofer x 2
Mini DSP HD controlling all subwoofers
Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

Re: Nobody (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
Greetings,

My better half and myself enjoyed this one as well. Definitely better than expected. Bob O. doesn't disappoint!

Regards,

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 11:45:37 AM »
Greetings,

My better half and myself enjoyed this one as well. Definitely better than expected. Bob O. doesn't disappoint!

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. He's definitely fun to watch. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 11:59:02 AM »
Totally fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. Not sure why they felt the need to add the grainy look though. My guests loved it. The soundtrack was awesome!
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »
Totally fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously. Not sure why they felt the need to add the grainy look though. My guests loved it. The soundtrack was awesome!
I couldn't agree more. I loved how they used the music to compliment the onscreen proceedings. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 02:52:43 PM »
Wife & I have also really enjoyed BB & BCS, so seeing the trailers for Nobody with Odenkirk definitely piqued our interest. 

Kind of looking forward to but dreading the final season of BCS b/c you know it isn't ending well for some people or at least aspects of their lives.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 06:31:52 PM »
Wife & I have also really enjoyed BB & BCS, so seeing the trailers for Nobody with Odenkirk definitely piqued our interest.

Kind of looking forward to but dreading the final season of BCS b/c you know it isn't ending well for some people or at least aspects of their lives.
I was late to the Breaking Bad phenomenon, but I loved binging it. Better Call Saul has been outstanding and in many ways I like it more because Odenkirk is just so damn fun to watch. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »
I liked this a lot streaming. Hoping for an upgrade w disc
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen