AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Last Action Hero

Barry

Last Action Hero
« on: June 03, 2021, 04:36:07 PM »
The Last Action Hero is a 1993  film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is an insightful, funny, clever, satirical movie. Which is exactly why it failed at the box office. You see Arnold’s fan expected a traditional action movie. I did, very much, enjoy the movie. 

Reminiscent of Woody Allen’s 1985 “The Purple Rose of Cairo” the characters on screen can venture into the real world of the audience and vice versa. (Buster Keaton actually did this first.) Schwarzenegger  uses this technique to point out and make fun of movie traditions that all firmly set in action and adventure movies, especially his own.

But this movie was more for a Woody Allen type audience, not a Schwarzenegger one. His young fans simply didn’t get it, they wanted a pure action film. Way back then, I saw this movie in the theatre with ¾ of the seats empty. The other seats were filled with people under the age of 30.

Let me give you an example.  The young man, a movie goer from the “real world” sees, on screen the villain played by F. Murray Abraham. He yells out, “Don’t believe him, he killed Mozart.” Believe me, not one person, other than me and my friends, in that audience saw Amadeus. Hamlet is referenced in the beginning, with Arnold playing him. Lines like that just went over their heads.  Not every line was perfect, but this an enjoyable film. There are also plenty of cameos.

The video here is excellent and the Atmos soundtrack is very good, often exaggerated,  to be part of the fun.

McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Last Action Hero
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:53:48 PM »
Let me give you an example.  The young man, a movie goer from the “real world” sees, on screen the villain played by F. Murray Abraham. He yells out, “Don’t believe him, he killed Mozart.” Believe me, not one person, other than me and my friends, in that audience saw Amadeus. Hamlet is referenced in the beginning, with Arnold playing him. Lines like that just went over their heads.  Not every line was perfect, but this an enjoyable film. There are also plenty of cameos.

The video here is excellent and the Atmos soundtrack is very good, often exaggerated,  to be part of the fun.
I've never seen TLAH, but I loved Amadeus (as a young man, even) and now I MUST see this! Thanks for the review Barry.

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 07:35:54 PM »
I've never seen TLAH, but I loved Amadeus (as a young man, even) and now I MUST see this! Thanks for the review Barry.
Same here. I might need to do a blind buy of this.
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
First time ever viewing it. I loved it. Had to realize what it was first 20 minutes or so since it was soooooo cheesy lol 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

Go Up