AVS Discussions
  Go Down

9" Crt Talk

9" Crt Talk
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »
Would be nice if we could advance the discussions on CRT mods for the projectors as well as setup and calibration. 

Lord Voldermort 9518LC Mooded 200lbs of awsomnes

AVSMike

Re: 9" Crt Talk
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »
Sure, there are still several people running CRT's. :)
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
Count me in.. Just got back from my US 2016 CRT tour.. Its still kicking.. Try watch Harry Potter on a projector with a 2.600.000.000:1 on off contrast. 1080p 72hz.

AVSMike

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 03:48:09 PM »
Do want to point out, we do have a CRT section. :)
http://discuss.avscience.com/?board=41.0
My Baffle Wall System: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=124.msg902#msg902

Mike Garrett
AV Science Sales
585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com

JVC, Sony, Epson, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Stewart, Seymour, Screen Innovations, Screen Excellence, DNP, Da-Lite, Triad, SVS, Martin Logan & more.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
Do want to point out, we do have a CRT section. :)
http://discuss.avscience.com/?board=41.0
Thanks Mike feel free to move this

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:52:43 PM »
I am going to move this thread forward and document my home theater room black out project. I already have an ideal room but there is room for improvement. Currently my room ceiling is painted in flat black. I want to eliminate ceiling reflections or at least reduce them. So I bought a can of Rosco #6003 saturated flat black that should arrive this week. From my research it should reduce reflections from 10% down to 2%. I am trying to avoid using triple black velvet since I have a drop ceiling and painting would be the easiest solution. So I will post my findings and see if this actually will meet my criteria. I am also researching black velvet theater seating to replace my brown sectional. I will post pictures of this project and post if this is a viable solution. If not I will continue with other blackout solutions to improve my theater

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 01:24:24 AM »
Rosco paint first coat on ceiling need to get the whole project done this week before I make a determination on it's effectiveness on rejecting light. It is actually a cool looking color but black it is not. It is less reflective then flat black.

http://i.imgur.com/o0AL7yL.jpg
9" Crt Talk

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 05:24:18 AM »
Found my way here too. I layed out half my floor tiles yesterday and this morning, with no lamps on and shades closed I stepped on my dog! That's right, the little critter merged with the floor in an unexpected way. That tells me that the image, ones up and running again, really will make a litte difference as the black painted ceiling did. I need blacked out curtains too and know what to get and where.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 05:50:35 AM »
Looks a bit dark gray in comparison.. How is it looking with the light off.?

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Looks a bit dark gray in comparison.. How is it looking with the light off.?
Wet this is the blackest paint I have every seen or worked with as  with the lights off:

Had a chance to sit down and watch some movies and on bright scenes I noticed an interesting observation. I know
that my setup is calibrated for 75 contrast and 52 brightness and I preferred 68 contrast with the flat black ceiling.
I now have more impact and seems to maintain the same brightness as before but at contrast 64 on bright scenes.
So the immersive effect I am looking for is there and I have a more dynamic image during bright scenes because it
is not washing out from the flat black ceiling.

I really like the look of the ceiling has now with the lights on. I am sure it will take me awhile to chase down all the spots I missed as it shows up instantly now as almost a white line or spot on the ceiling ;D while watching a movie.  Now that is flat black paint that I missed some spots so to me that is plain crazy and cool at the same time. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:28:36 AM by Greg9518LC »

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »
Criag Rounds theater was painted flat black and I asked him if he were to do anything different he'd have covered the ceiling with black velvet.  It can be done but it would be a good bit of work and wouldn't be cheap.  For a 20x12 room the cost for Joann premiere velvet would be approximately $250 (and that's with a 40% off coupon) plus add in the cost of additional materials to construct the panels and it gets up there quick.  In your case it looks like you already have a suspended ceiling and those panels wrapped in velvet could work.  There's a stretch velvet which would likely work better since it will be easier to contour it around the edges.

Painting my ceiling black (vs white in the old theater) made a huge difference but there's another way to eliminate reflections- move your seat closer 8)

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
I sit 9ft from 110" screen so sitting closer is not an option for me. I looked into the black velvet options and sy fabrics
triple black is 7.00 yard and free shipping if I chose to go that way. I could also do the individual panels as that is an option
and I also thought of tearing out the drop ceiling. The question is how absorptive is strecthed black velvet all the samples I
seen had a sheen to them. Post a link that I could check out more information on.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
I used Sy fabrics triple black on the screen wall in my last theater; good stuff and cheap to boot.  Suspended ceilings can have acoustical issues with rattling and I was considering that option but everyone urged me to go with drywall.  Your panels are contoured at the edges so I'm not sure how the velvet will take to that.  If you can post a close up shot of a panel.  When I used the Royal 3 on my AT panels I pulled it very tight but still had to staple it twice to get a tight fit.  If you have a high degree of humidity in your room that can also effect the material and it can become wavy.  I haven't used the stretch velvet but my guess is that it will be a little less prone to sagging over time.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
If I go stretch velvet it is 5ft wide so I only need 10 yards to do the entire basement ceiling but need samples first.
And I would just go over the panels.

NBPk402

• Living the retired life
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »
When we built our room I went to Lowes, and asked them to make a flat black paint... When my friend was painting the room with a sprayer it was pretty hard due to lighting, but after it dried it was not as light absorbing as i wanted. My solution was to get the stickon velvet that comes in a roll, and is used in telescopes. I used this for the first couple of feet on the ceiling and it worked out great IMO. I used Jo Annes triple velvet for my soffits, and framing around the screen wall.
Marantz av8805a, 3 K402MEHs, 4 Klipsch RP150Ms, MINIDSP DDRC88M, 1 7 channel woofer amp & heights, 3 Icepower amps, Denafrips Athena & Pontus ii, Lumin U1 mini, 2 Yamaha P2500s, Monoprice speaker wire, and XLR cables, 2 Furman filters, ProJect RPM 1.3 Carbon Turntable,  Zappiti Reference, Panasonic ub820, LG 86"" 4k fp

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal