AVS Discussions
  Go Down

Zack Snyder’s Justice League: A NO SPOILER Review

Barry

« on: March 19, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
First, to give my review some weight, let me state that my favorite Comic Book movies are the Donner editions of Superman I and II. In recent times I enjoyed Wonder Woman, Shazam and Aquaman.  I have not liked Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Batman Vs. Superman and Justice League. I have enjoyed most Marvel movies except Iron Man II and III and Thor Dark World

This is a four-hour movie on HBO MAX. Bring lunch. I would give this movie 3.5 stars out of 4. Surprisingly, it begins by stating it will be presented in a 3:4 aspect ratio to preserve the director’s intention. The photography is top notch and the soundtrack, in Atmos, is exceptional. There are a couple of places, often with Wonder Woman, where the special effects do look animated.

The original Justice League was released, or rather it escaped, in 2017. PLEASE do not confuse that movie with this one.  The After the death of his daughter, director Snyder left the movie and it was placed in the hands of another director.  The plot and the characters are so different here. While the new version uses a great deal of the footage from the original, it is so edited and presented as to seem brand new.

On to Zack Snyder’s Justice League. This is a unique and compelling four-hour movie that is both a “Steaming mini series” and a feature length movie.  As a  mini-series, it is divided into seven parts. (six plus an epilogue.) It takes it’s time developing well ALL the characters, so much more than the first Justice League.  Slowly, each character becomes vital and essential to  the entire plot.  I know it uses previously shot footage, but, honest to gosh, the actors are better here and their characters are so much more developed. As an example, in the first movie, Wonder Woman nonsensible and out of character, argues NOT to restore Superman. Not so here.

There are many surprising cameos, both of DC characters and real-life performers who you may not have expected in the movie. This movie was produced to compete with the Avengers and it does so well, in a much darker and serious way.

Of course, the plot involves saving the world, but just a few minor points. First, I am tired of overlong fight sequences when you know who will win.  Also, not only does no one get hurt, or the slightest bruise, or worn out, but Batman never gets his cape caught on anything. Also, this was going to be part of a trilogy of movies so there are are some unresolved issues at a surprising long epilogue. The very end gives a long list of comic book credits, with Jack Kirby in a title by himself.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:00:14 PM by Barry »
McIntosh MX170 Controller: Projector JVC DLA-RS4100; Screen: Stuart StudioTek130: Amps: McIntosh MC-611(center),MC1.25KW (lf&rt);  Krell S-1500 Atmos/Surround; 4kDVD Panasonic UB9000; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Ultima Voice 2, (Surround) W 990, Atmos C763L; Subs: SVS SB-13 Ultras;  Cable: 4K Verizon; Broadcast: Mediasonic HW-150PVR; Wiring: Shunyata; Apple TV,

Re: Zack Snyder’s Justice League: A NO SPOILER Review
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
Thanks Barry. The original Justice League was a train wreck of a movie. I cringe whenever I see it playing on cable TV. My review disc is collecting dust. Warner is releasing this in 4K later this year and I'll wait to view it there.
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:13:23 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Barry. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

claw

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 02:42:08 PM »
Supposedly, Zack Snyder's wife Deborah told him not to watch the Joss Whedon version of Justice League because she knew it would "break his heart."   

Glad to hear there may be a UHD disc version coming.    I watched the 4 hours over two nights.  Well worth it.
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

tripplej

• A goal without a plan is just a wish!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 07:52:45 AM »
Thanks for the review. Will check it out. :)
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501

bmoney

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:49 AM »
I liked the whole thing except the epilogue. Seemed smashed together. And very out of place. Also reminded me of return of the king. Where it should have (could have) ended 3 or 4 times yet didn’t. 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:50:15 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks Barry. I can longer watch Justice League after seeing this. By comparison Justice League barely makes sense.

Regards,

claw

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
I liked the whole thing except the epilogue. Seemed smashed together. And very out of place. Also reminded me of return of the king. Where it should have (could have) ended 3 or 4 times yet didn’t.
I think the epilogue was added to hint at the direction he was headed with the follow up films if he had been permitted to continue his vision.  Unfortunately, something we will never get to experience.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:00:59 PM by claw »
JVC RS500/LG OLED/Denon X6400H 7.2.4/Panasonic UB820/Oppo 203/AppleTV 4K/FireStick 4K/HDfury Diva/MadVR RTX2080Ti

TRainH2O

• Analog guy living in a Digital world
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 11:07:32 PM »
Barry, as always, thanks for your no spoiler reviews. I am super behind on watching new movies so it will take me a while to get to this one.

Given your credentials, I always enjoy reading your thoughts about new Comic-based films.

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal