Do the Right Thing (UHD Blu-ray) review

Do the Right Thing (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »

Studio: Universal
Release Date: February 2, 2021
Rating: R
Film: 4.5/5

Plot
It’s the hottest day of summer. You can do nothing, you can do something, or you can…Do the Right Thing. Racial tensions reach the boiling point in a tough Brooklyn neighborhood as a local Italian businessman has a run-in with a couple of local residents over loud music and who’s worthy of being on his wall of fame.

My Thoughts
When this film was released in 1989 it stirred a lot of controversy and frankly, it’s just as poignant today as it was back then. The screenplay is confusing because it doesn’t preach one point of view—it shows the current situation from multiple perspectives and its shocking ending will leave you somewhat confused and in my case, a bit angry.

I hadn’t seen the full film in over 30 years and enjoyed the revisit—as much as you can considering the emotional nature of the screenplay. The day following the film I had a long conversation with my good friend Ralph Potts regarding our thoughts on the film to discuss our different perspectives. While Ralph and I are from different racial backgrounds, we have the utmost respect for the other’s opinion and it was interesting to hear his take and compare it to mine. In the end, I think the majority of the people in the film all did the wrong thing, which is maybe the point. The end credits have quotes from both Martin Luther King and Malcom X—the former preaching peaceful protest versus the latter’s violent rhetoric, which just highlights the case that there’s more than one way to solve problems. But in the case here, the violent approach left one man dead, a business ruined and burned to the ground, and a neighborhood in worst shape than it started—just like Minneapolis today. Ultimately, there’s plenty of blame to go around and there’s no easy solution. I prefer the King approach of judging people by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin (or political party).

The presentation is outstanding with the video encode featuring richly saturated colors highlighting the phenomenal cinematography from Ernest Dickerson. The DTS:X soundtrack is no slouch either with plenty of directional queues and crisp dynamics.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9.5/10 (DTS:X)

Special Features:

• Introduction by Director Spike Lee
  • Do the Right Thing: 20 Years Later
  • Deleted/Extended Scenes
  • Making Do the Right Thing
  • Editor Barry Brown
  • The Riot Sequence
  • Cannes, 1989
  • Trailers
  • Two feature commentaries
  • UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
It’s rare that a film’s message is just as poignant today versus its release 32 years in the past, but that’s certainly the case here. While it isn’t easy to watch given its disturbing conclusion, I like how the film makes you think. The presentation is outstanding and if you’re a fan of Lee’s work, this is by far his best film. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 Subwoofer

JL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)

Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Do the Right Thing (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:25:23 PM »
I saw this for the first time when it came out  4K   Great movie. Not sure how I missed it back when it came out. 

Nice review as always!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:31:05 PM »
I saw this for the first time when it came out  4K  Great movie. Not sure how I missed it back when it came out.

Nice review as always!
Thanks bmoney :)
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:31:36 AM »
Greetings,

Great review Dave. I enjoyed our conversation regarding the film (as always) and value your opinion.

Talk soon buddy.

Regards,

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal