Tenet (UHD Blu-ray) review

Tenet (UHD Blu-ray) review
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »

Studio: Warner
Release Date: December 15, 2020
Rating: PG-13
Film: 4/5

Plot
Armed with only one word—Tenet—and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist (John David Washington) journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time. Not time travel. Inversion.

My Thoughts
Going into any Christopher Nolan film you better be well rested and have your thinking cap firmly in place or else you’ll be completely lost for 2.5 hours wondering what the hell you just experienced. Tenet was met with mixed reactions by critics, but I realize that Nolan’s storytelling isn’t for everyone and so I went in with zero expectations.

The first act starts out with a frenzy with a terrorist attack and the Protagonist takes center stage in the story. Needless to say, there are plenty of WTF moments in this first scene but if you pay close attention to what’s happening, the pieces will fall into place as the screenplay unfolds.

My son had watched the film once already and didn’t care for it. He didn’t like the writing and found it to be a confusing mess. He was hoping a second viewing would help, but he ran out of patience and left the room before the last act had begun. My wife wasn’t enthralled by the story, but she isn’t really a fan of Nolan’s work nor his time travel narratives like Momento and Dunkirk. I, on the other hand, liked it a lot. First, I think Washington is phenomenal as the Protagonist and one thing the movie will do if you take it all in is make you think—a lot. In fact, I’ve found myself jotting down different notes trying to piece the narrative back together and I really like the challenge, but I get why some won’t like it. It isn’t a “paint by numbers” script and if you don’t like brain teasers, you’ll just be frustrated as hell.

One thing I will say is the presentation is excellent. Usually with a UHD release I find myself futzing around with the DTM settings on my projector, but in this case, it come off without a hitch and I never felt the picture was lacking in any way. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track features outstanding dynamics, but the soundtrack is recorded a little on the “hot” side (like other Nolan films). Some may complain about the dialog intelligibility, but again, this is intentional because Nolan wants to place you “in the scenario” and when all hell is breaking loose around you you’ll not be able to understand all that’s being said at the time. Regardless, I never felt the need to skip back within scenes to hear any dialog a second time.

Video 9.5/10

Audio 9/10 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Looking at the World in a New Way: The Making of “Tenet” - An hour-long exploration of the development and production of the film as told by the cast and crew.
  • Digital Copy

Conclusion
I can honestly see how some people don’t like this movie, but I think they’re mistaken. Like most of Nolan’s films, I think this is a film that will get better with repeated viewings and you’re better able to place the events into a coherent timeline from beginning to end because it is somewhat of a mind f*$k. I plan on watching it again over Christmas when my daughter is home and I’ll report back in the thread if a second viewing adds anything to the enjoyment—I’m betting it will. Definitely check this out if you’re a fan of Nolan’s other productions and let me know what you think. Highly recommended.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
Re: Tenet (UHD Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
Can't wait to see this. My copy arrives Thursday. My wife and I love Memento, Interstellar, Inception. We instantly wanted to watch Inception the minute we finished it the first time ( same with the Wachowski's  Cloud Atlas ). So I can't wait to watch this. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

bmoney

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »
Mine is out for delivery. So should be able to see this tonight. Can’t wait!
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
diy 130" 2.40 spandex screen
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 07:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the review David.

I've loved most of Nolan's films, so this is definitely on my radar. Memento was one of the most memorable films I've seen, at the time so innovative and fascinating to work out.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 07:42:21 PM »
Thanks for the review David.

I've loved most of Nolan's films, so this is definitely on my radar. Memento was one of the most memorable films I've seen, at the time so innovative and fascinating to work out.
This is one is fun to work out as well, so I think you'll enjoy it. 
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »
Some may complain about the dialog intelligibility
Why yes, I will, thank you.

I definitely need a 2nd viewing, leaving my phone in another room.

Pic looked great, but could look better if Mike would get me that Stewart screen I ordered 8)!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
Why yes, I will, thank you.

I definitely need a 2nd viewing, leaving my phone in another room.

Pic looked great, but could look better if Mike would get me that Stewart screen I ordered 8)!
Years ago I calibrated my center speaker to be 1-2dB louder than my front L/R speakers and I've never had an issue with dialog intelligibility after doing that :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 09:14:04 PM »
Years ago I calibrated my center speaker to be 1-2dB louder than my front L/R speakers and I've never had an issue with dialog intelligibility after doing that :)
Cheater!  One of these years I'll abandon phantom center and get an actual center channel.

What did wonders for dialogue for me was adding absorptive room treatments to my (too close) rear wall, excepting Christopher Nolan films of course.  Well, that's not really true, I have no problems with Interstellar or Dunkirk.

jive turkey

• The same clown from AVSForum
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:38 PM »
I've gone to 5db and everything sounds great...might back it off a notch if anyone notices, but mostly they seem to appreciate dialog is easier to follow. Matching KEF's across the front.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 10:02:36 PM »
Cheater!  One of these years I'll abandon phantom center and get an actual center channel.

What did wonders for dialogue for me was adding absorptive room treatments to my (too close) rear wall, excepting Christopher Nolan films of course.  Well, that's not really true, I have no problems with Interstellar or Dunkirk.
I think the problem theaters (and people in general) had with this mix is its gets EXTREMELY loud (think of the Interstellar Black Hole scene loud) on many occasions and I bet theaters got complaints and turned the volume down because of the peak scenes (which last for minutes at a time). People will most likely do the same at home and the result is the quieter passages are too quiet now. Generally speaking, dynamic range on studio tracks will hit the peak of 105 dB multiple times in a movie, but it will happen for a second or two at a time (gunshot, explosion, revving of an engine, spacecraft launch, etc.), but they are quick bursts of energy and are over quickly. When you are hit with this level of sound pressure for a minute (or five) at a time, it can be quite fatiguing.

I know my wife complained with this film and I had to go to Volume Catholic Church (up, down, up, down, etc.) to keep her happy. When I watch it again with my daughter and her boyfriend I'm telling them we will watch the film at -15 dB from reference and there will be no complaints :)
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 07:39:47 AM »
I LOVE Nolan movies. Inception is my favorite by far. In fact it is the best movie I have seen in the actual theaters no doubt. And the prestige is my second favorite. 

Tenet was def hard to grasp what was going on. But I loved it. The visuals were insane. And the premise took about an hour to figure out what was happening. Was it great? Not yet. I say that cause I think a second viewing will be awesome. 

Very cool seeing the “reveal” fight at the end it was the one twist I didn’t see coming but I kinda predicted the others. 

Looking forward to a rewatch

Image was picture perfect. I was floored by the image. And the sound although part of loudness wars and clipped to hell is just Nolan’s Mo. and I thought it was a great great sound design   Pretty awesome for only 5.1 (dts nueral? Ionizer did a great job!)

B

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
I turned the center channel up 3db for this film (cause I had to drop the MV 7db cause of clipping baked into the mix) and it made the dialogue perfect

fyi “volume Catholic Church” is HYSTERICAL HAHAH

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

bmoney

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
also the actress Elizabeth Debicki is one tall drink of water!  with heels she dwarfed everyone

edit: according to IMDB she is 6'3" dang

Nad t758v3 
Volt 6 (8 ) 
18" SI subs (4) 
minidsp 2x4HD
JVC rs600
Nvidia shield pro
Emby NAS media player

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
Ms. Debicki seems to be popping up a lot lately - I have noticed her in a a lot of projects, though I haven't seen all of them. She has 6 credits from 2018. Playing Princess Di in The Crown. Busy lady!

AVSCraig

• Home Theater Lover / Sales / Advice
    • AV Science, Inc
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2020, 12:28:13 PM »
also the actress Elizabeth Debicki is one tall drink of water!  with heels she dwarfed everyone

edit: according to IMDB she is 6'3" dang
I like her. Great in Widows too. 
Direct (585) 671-2972 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific 
www.avscience.com  craig@avscience.com
We carry projectors, screens, speakers, receivers etc. !!
Twitter - @AVS_Craig Sacramento CA area

Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal