Popeye (Blu-ray) review

Popeye (Blu-ray) review
« on: November 30, 2020, 08:29:16 PM »

Studio: Paramount
Release Date: December 12, 2020
Rating: PG
Film: 3.5/5

Plot
The beloved anvil-armed sailor of the seven seas comes magically to life in this delightful musical starring Robin Williams as Popeye and directed by Robert Altman (Nashville). Shelley Duvall is Popeye's devoted long-limbed sweetie, Olive Oyl, one of many loveable characters who join the “sailor man” in his adventures in the harbor town of Sweethaven.

My Thoughts
This was a film I loved in my youth and in fact our family owed it on VHS back in the early 1980s. Having not seen it in over 30 years, I was really interested to see how it held up seeing it as an adult. Well, it wasn’t that bad as long as you go into the film knowing that you’re watching a comic strip come to life and not expect a “serious” movie. Upon its release in 1980, it was considered a bomb even though it did over $60 million at the box office on a $20 million budget, but it certainly wasn’t what people expected.

If you have ever watched a Popeye cartoon then you’ll definitely enjoy the performances by Williams—in his first motion picture role—and Duvall, who both stick the landing when it comes to bringing the comic book characters to life. I think what most shocked audiences forty years ago was that this is really a musical and while the songs are earth-shattering, they are catchy and rememberable, particularly “I Yam what I Yam,” “He’s Large,” and “He Needs Me.”

The presentation is a bit rough around the edges but far surpasses what I watched on VHS tape back in the 1980s. Detail is decent although backgrounds can be a bit fuzzy. The audio track is decent enough given the source material but is very front-loaded.

Video 4/5

Audio 4/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Return to Sweethaven: A Look Back with Robin and The Altmans
  • The Popeye Company Players
  • Popeye’s Premiere
  • The Sailor Man Melodies
  • Blu-ray + Digital Code

Conclusion
I’m probably in the minority with this film given the nostalgic value it provides but I have to say it was a lot of fun to revisit. My wife and kids viewed it for the first time and there were a lot of laughs in the room although my son thought the movie was “stupid,” but his taste is questionable! It’s worth seeing at least once for the performances and the baby in the film is absolutely adorable and worth watching for him alone. Recommended for fans.

Reference Review System:
 JVC DLA-RS2000 4K Ultra High Definition Front Projector
 (Calibrated with Portrait Displays CalMAN color calibration software & C6-HDR Meter from Portrait Displays)
 Stewart Filmscreen - Firehawk 88” 16x9 Fixed Screen
 Anthem AVM60 Audio/Video Processor 
 ATI AT527NC Powering Bed ChannelsATI AT524NC Powering Atmos Speakers
 Panasonic DP-UB820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 
 System Controller: URC MX-980M&K S-150 THX Ultra (R-C-L Speakers)M&K SS-150 x4 (Surround Speakers)
 Atlantic Technology IC6-OBA x 4 Overhead Speakers
 SVS PC-Ultra Cylinder Subwoofer
 HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer
 SVS SB-3000 SubwooferJL Audio Dominion D110 Subwoofer x 2 (configured as tandem mid bass modules)Mini DSP controlling all subwoofers
 Audioquest and Monoprice - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
 PureAV PF60 Power Conditioner
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Sound & Vision Magazine

bmoney

Re: Popeye (Blu-ray) review
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »
Love this. Such great memories. The “red” scene is my favorite 
SadieMax 2,0 Build thread

Nad t758v3 
7.4.4 diysoundgroup 1099's (3) 
Volt 6 (8 )